A Change of Terrain: A strategical "civilization" game (locked)

257 posts

Flag Post

There was once a nomadic tribe.
This nomadic tribe came to settle on a flat plain.
However, this flat plain was owned by a little-known god.
That god is you.
Will you nurture this growing tribe, or will you destroy them?
Only time will tell.


Okay, so this game is basically one of your average “civilization” games, with one key difference.
You aren’t allowed to affect the civilization in any direct way, meaning you cannot give them things directly, you cannot affect them directly, and you cannot lead them directly.
What you can do is send natural disasters, events, and other natural events to cause an event to occur. What I mean by this is: Let’s say you send a flood. The tribe will most likely start building walls to keep the water out, more boats to stay afloat, or other things.
Let’s also say you sent a drought. The tribe might try to find new ways to get water, start conserving water, or both.
Now, this won’t be just a simple “I do this and that happens” type thing, there will be many possible events that can happen depending on other circumstances.
For example: Some new inventions will just be invented over time, like electricity, others will have to have certain circumstances beforehand. If you wanted to start the Iron Age early, you would have to make a large amount of iron, make it easily accessible, and give them a way to mine/smelt/shape it.

Now that that’s out of the way, let’s begin.


Year: 0
People: 100
Inventions: (New: Sedentary Life, Tools, Domesticated Cattle)
(Sorry, i havent painted the graphic yet, will have it up in a minute.)
(There is a mountain range to the north, a desert to the south, a low, hilly area to the east, and an ocean to the west.)
What will you do?

 
Flag Post

Reserve Spot

 
Flag Post

Extra Reserve

 
Flag Post

Spawn spooky spirits to the nearest forest.

 
Flag Post

Send some vicious boars as food. They’re gonna have to work for their meals!

 
Flag Post

I just want to have a meteorite fall into the desert… Forming glass from the heat and setting the stage for some other things!

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by ilovekirby12:

Spawn spooky spirits to the nearest forest.

…There is no forest nearby.

Originally posted by MasterCheif987:

Send some vicious boars as food. They’re gonna have to work for their meals!

The boars come charging at the village, however the villagers have no idea what they are and run from them. Ten people are killed by the boars, but they also manage to kill a few.

Originally posted by kashuushian1542:

I just want to have a meteorite fall into the desert… Forming glass from the heat and setting the stage for some other things!

A meteorite falls in the desert, creating glass. However, there is nobody around to harvest the glass, so…

Year: 0
People: 90
*Inventions: (New: Meat, Ivory) Sedentary Life, Tools, Domesticated Cattle
(Still no graphic, sorry.)
What will you do?

 
Flag Post

Give way to a lush forest, however, the forest is also lush in poisonus plants.

 
Flag Post

I will dry up all the drinkable water sources in the land, and begin a light rainstorm upon the village and surrounding areas; it will last a hundred years! I shall teach them how to harvest it to drink!

 
Flag Post

Keep the boar population a good size in the nearby area. Far enough away that they don’t kill off all the people, but close enough that the villagers can go hunt them.

 
Flag Post

I grow berry bushes in the area around the village for them to harvest berries for food.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by ilovekirby12:

Give way to a lush forest, however, the forest is also lush in poisonus plants.

A small forest sprouts in the hilly region to the east.

Originally posted by kilozombie:

I will dry up all the drinkable water sources in the land, and begin a light rainstorm upon the village and surrounding areas; it will last a hundred years! I shall teach them how to harvest it to drink!

A heat wave hits the surrounding area, drying up the ocean and killing most plants. The desert to the south has increased GREATLY in size.
As a rainfall starts, a small basin fills up with water, creating a small lake near the village.

Originally posted by MasterCheif987:

Keep the boar population a good size in the nearby area. Far enough away that they don’t kill off all the people, but close enough that the villagers can go hunt them.

The boars stay near the villagers, keeping their population steady, however, the boars cannot survive in the desert and quickly die off. The villagers recieve surplus meat, and, looking for ways to store it, discover salt.

Originally posted by arkenarken:

I grow berry bushes in the area around the village for them to harvest berries for food.

The berry bushes grow, but die off quickly due to lack of water.

Year: 0
People: 90
*Inventions: (New: Salt, Conservation) Sedentary Life, Tools, Domesticated Cattle, Meat, Ivory
(Note: Next post, Inventions will be split up into “Ideas”, “Elements”, and “Inventions”.
(Still no graphic, sorry.)
What will you do?

 
Flag Post

Dang it I put the boars in the desert.

I send them giant friendly tortoises as a apology for killing 10% of the population. They’ll do good in the new lake. unless I’m stupid.

 
Flag Post

Fill the basin with fish.

 
Flag Post

How about a meteorite, rich in iron, falling in the mountain range to the north, but fairly near the village.

 
Flag Post

Form a floating algae island populated by meerkats. In addition, at night chemical reactions in the algae turn pockets of water in the island into acid, killing fish for the meerkats. Life of Pi style.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by MasterCheif987:

Dang it I put the boars in the desert.

I send them giant friendly tortoises as a apology for killing 10% of the population. They’ll do good in the new lake. unless I’m stupid.

The tortoises fill the lake, swimming around and thriving. As the tribesmen see them swimming, they manage to kill a few, an hollow out their shells to make utensils, tools, and tribal artwork.

Originally posted by arkenarken:

Fill the basin with fish.

Fish quickly appear in the basin.

Originally posted by yiu113:

How about a meteorite, rich in iron, falling in the mountain range to the north, but fairly near the village.

This happens. A wandering tribesman soon discovers it, but has no idea what to do with it.

Originally posted by jrm115:

Form a floating algae island populated by meerkats. In addition, at night chemical reactions in the algae turn pockets of water in the island into acid, killing fish for the meerkats. Life of Pi style.

…What?

As these things miraculously appear, the tribe begins to ponder the ideas of greater beings. Religion is invented.
(Note: Since Religion is now invented, there will be a bonus to “Ideas”, but “Inventions” will be hindered. This effect will not go away until the invention of the idea “Logic”.)

Year: 0
People: 90
Inventions: Ideas: Sedentary Life, Conservation (New: Religion
Elements: Meat, Ivory, Salt
Inventions: (New: Utensils) Domesticated Cattle, Tools

(Still no graphic, sorry.)
What will you do?

 
Flag Post

In honor of the creation of religion I place an altar to us gods near the village, along with some scripture in symbols (so fish represented by a picture of a fish, for example) so they can understand. I assume they don’t have a written language yet.

 
Flag Post

I create a pure white statue, emanating with some strange energy, in the center of the village. The statue takes the form of arkenarken. At the base of the statue are images depicting my head in the sky above the village, looking down and watching the village from the sky. Above the image is the symbols: “ARKENARKEN”. However as the tribe doesn’t know language yet they don’t know what it means.


[Edit:] I got ninja’d by MasterCheif987.

 
Flag Post

Create a HUGE sandstorm from the desert against the village.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by undeadcupcake3:
Originally posted by MasterCheif987:

Dang it I put the boars in the desert.

I send them giant friendly tortoises as a apology for killing 10% of the population. They’ll do good in the new lake. unless I’m stupid.

The tortoises fill the lake, swimming around and thriving. As the tribesmen see them swimming, they manage to kill a few, an hollow out their shells to make utensils, tools, and tribal artwork.

Originally posted by arkenarken:

Fill the basin with fish.

Fish quickly appear in the basin.

Originally posted by yiu113:

How about a meteorite, rich in iron, falling in the mountain range to the north, but fairly near the village.

This happens. A wandering tribesman soon discovers it, but has no idea what to do with it.

Originally posted by jrm115:

Form a floating algae island populated by meerkats. In addition, at night chemical reactions in the algae turn pockets of water in the island into acid, killing fish for the meerkats. Life of Pi style.

…What?

As these things miraculously appear, the tribe begins to ponder the ideas of greater beings. Religion is invented.
(Note: Since Religion is now invented, there will be a bonus to “Ideas”, but “Inventions” will be hindered. This effect will not go away until the invention of the idea “Logic”.)

Year: 0
People: 90
Inventions: Ideas: Sedentary Life, Conservation (New: Religion
Elements: Meat, Ivory, Salt
Inventions: (New: Utensils) Domesticated Cattle, Tools

(Still no graphic, sorry.)
What will you do?

Watch the movie, understand the idea. Or you could just see this link

 
Flag Post

Send a plague killing off small plants and small animals.

 
Flag Post

I make the people intelligent enough to write. Then I make them worship all of us.

 
Flag Post

Sounds fun.
Ahem I spawn a small set of infant dragons in which most run off into the desert but one befriends a man.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by GotterakaThing:

I make the people intelligent enough to write. Then I make them worship all of us.

you cannot affect or lead the people directly