Co-op Speedrunning Showdown! (locked)

53 posts

Flag Post

Schedule:
Each round (other than the qualifier) will start on a Friday. You’ll have up to Saturday to choose your game/task. If you don’t, then I’ll consider it being the one you used on the previous round.
Then, up to Sunday there’s a good leniency for game changes.
After that, up to Friday you should have posted your best scores for the round.
(Days end on the midnight GMT. For example, the time this was posted was the end of a Saturday).

Tasks:
Each task should be a speedrunning task on a Kongregate game. Only propose tasks you can do in less than 5 minutes. API is very recommended. The tasks should not be pause or right-click abusable, as well as not much lag-abusable. Also, games that are currently being used in other tournaments are subject to game changes (mainly burrito’s tournamment ) (oh, and now this too).

This last rule is needed because this one is also needed:
You must share all your strategies on your current games with your opponents. Video is encouraged. And there’s no point to make it public. You can also help people on other “groups”.
This is to prevent unfair games from being used (let’s say something like Papa’s Pizzeria, or numberhash). If you think any of your opponents is hiding something from you about a game (that is, they have an impossible score to obtain with your strategy), talk with them privately, then if you aren’t satisfied with that contact me privately.

And, as usual with these competitions, you should not use anything other than Adobe’s Flash Player that may change the game you are playing. If you get too much lag on a current game, you may discuss a game change with who proposed it. (Again, if you’re not satisfied with it, tell me).

Finally, if you and all your current opponents agree, you can do something that breaks the rules (like using a more than 5 minute game, for example). After all, this is an experiment, first of its kind, nothing about it had been thought yet. In fact, if you have any suggestions, please send them to me.

Flag Post

Qualifier:
On this round, you must submit a valid task, and start getting times for it. You have up to the next Saturday to qualify (that is, 04/20).

Round 1:
On this round, you must submit your best times on each of the qualifying tasks submitted (Epic Combo! ,ButtonX20 ,Redstar Fall ,and Umbross ). You final qualifier score will be the sum of your positive normalized scores (your normalized scores will be ( 1+(harmonic average of the times on the task)-(your time on the task) )/(the standard deviation on the task) ).
Your round 1 position will be a tiebreaker on later rounds, and will be used to choose your opponents too, so you should really try your best on it.

Flag Post

I propose…um…Epic combo. Am I doing this right?

Flag Post

Yeah, but if you wanted you could post a score too, or be more specific (“complete original mode”, for example, but when it’s obvious like this you don’t need to).

Also, sharing your strategy is needed, but you can do it after round 1 starts.

Flag Post

oooooooooh

Flag Post

The Great Sperm Race

I got lost in the cervix.

Flag Post

Maist, to qualify you must post a valid task, but I can see why you’d leave to post it at the last moment. (Well, you could just choose the same task as someone else, but there’s a reason to choose your own)

Also, the qualifying tasks are going to be used in round 1, so try using some where you can get an above-average score.

Flag Post

Change to ButtonX20

Has mochi hi-scores, not kong.

Flag Post

Anybody can enter?

Flag Post
Originally posted by AllStarDominatio:

Anybody can enter?

Of course! The more people, the better.

Flag Post

To be fair, I’m all up for the Great Sperm Race.

This one would be awesome but not everyone has a mouse :’/

But I suggest Redstar Fall

Flag Post

Umbross

Flag Post

Alright I’ll sign up tomorrow.
EDIT: Tomorrow

Flag Post

Due to the lack of participants, I’ll extend the qualifier to the end of round 1, however you must qualify with one of the currently selected games instead of any valid one now.

Round 1 start
Get the best scores you can on Epic Combo, Buttonx20, Redstar Fall and Umbross. Spreadsheet and links coming soon.

You should post your upgrade path on Epic Combo and specific level scores for Redstar Fall too.

Do you think this round should last 2 weeks or 1 week is long enough?

Flag Post

One week is long enough.

Flag Post

Again, if we had more people I think this would get even better than it would be if only 4 or 5 people joined.

Flag Post

Have you pmed the usual suspects?
Problem with Redstar Fall is that there doesn’t seem to be anyway of seeing what your score for a particular level was after you’ve finished it. Anyhoo I’ll edit them in here:
0 439
1 412
2 424
3 421
4 418
5 422
6 431
7 424
8 400
9 393
10 413
11 403
12 420
13 438
14 429
15 421
16 397
17 425
18 446
19 428
20 411
total 8815

I don’t think the tutorial level is part of the total score…

Flag Post

Signed, was trying to get a good obechi score, but then I found out I can’t use it for this round. Scores for these games will come tomorrow. (Dat umbross score is so bad).

Flag Post

BTW, I don’t know how I didn’t mention it before or didn’t notice that I didn’t yet: the lowest scorer will be eliminated. Only. I may implement a double-elimination mechanism though.

Flag Post

Some mistakes.

Flag Post

Just a reminder: today the qualifier ends! And round 1 too, unless 2 more people qualify!

Flag Post

Qualifier end
Round 1 end

Results:
Last (eliminated): Woon1957 with 0 points (she didn’t even technically qualify, but ok)
4th: SamsterSamster with 0.3 points
3rd: MaistlinRajere with 1 point
2nd: ShawnerSSS with 1.7 points
1st: LouWeed with 2 points

Results would be more significant if you were more participative.

Round 2
From now on each of you have 2 “lives”: you must be eliminated twice to get out of the competition.
This round it’ll be teams: however, due tothe lack of participants, it’ll be 2v2. Lou+Shawn vs Maist+Sam. Don’t complain, the round 1 decided for you, you were inactive and made it not be significant.
So, you have up to monday to choose a game and up to friday to play it. The best times for each team will count, and will be 6 minutes if you can’t beat the game. The two times (the best for each of the two games) will be added up,and the one with the best total will be the winner, the other will be eliminated.
If you don’t choose another game up to monday, the games will be umbross and ButtonX20.

Flag Post

Bugger. I forgot. I’ll update later.

Flag Post

Results would be more significant if you were more participative.

Sorry!

So, you have up to monday to choose a game and up to friday to play it.

Sam, any games that you are particularly good at? I’ll defer to you for picking a game.

Flag Post

If you all agree to end this already, I don’t have any problems. This much inactivity (even on my part) isn’t helping the way this is going.

So, the games are Umbross and ButtonX20. Current scores are 6:52.07 to team sammaissterraj, and 9:21 to LouShawn. Round ends on saturday. If you keep on being inactive, I’ll take one life of each competitor (so both on the losing team are eliminated if they don’t post scores).