[Game] Virtual Reality - Chapter 1.0: What Just Happened?

202 posts

Flag Post

[Reserved for Locks, Barriers, Walls, and all other sorts of detaining mechanisms.]

Flag Post

Prologue Part I – Advertisement
Suppose that in the future, gaming systems had increased in quality to the point where a person didn’t just see the game, hear it, move and the character moved, or any combination of the above, but they quite literally were injected into the base game template, ceasing to exist in real life but for a backup genetic copy, any number of which could then be sent into the game to assist if necessary. Complete loss would eject them back into reality. Of course, to the outer physical world, no time passed at all but in the player’s mind. This technology might be wildly popular in the future, possibly, but the future is now. At least, somewhat. A group of ten of the best young video gamers will be chosen to test this new technology. Over varied games they may go, but the overall experience they had will be the determining factor in if this is mass produced. Will you be one of those first ten, who leads the charge?

Prologue Part II – The Story (Futuristic Background Info)
The applicants were selected, and all tested positive in the final examinations. They bravely went through the pains this would take, including having monitoring chips put in their heads. These would keep track of their statuses, as well as contain advice. Then, through the prototype portal they went, to their respective places. All seemed well…too well. Then, it happened. An overactive day and newly activating magnetic field was all it took, and several components at the nearby electric plant flickered ceaselessly. Traveling down the line, the resounding power surges wrecked the equipment, as well as messing with the monitoring chips. As the reality/VR portal broke, all its data fused. Now, all ten find themselves again together in this newly muddled world. They must wander, fight, and search to find their way out. This raises questions as to what would happen when they got back? They would remain the same, as the researchers agreed amongst themselves. They would have to live with it until a way to ‘cure’ their condition was found.

Players:

1. (Pigjr1) Brian – Sonic the Hedgehog – Sonic series.
2. (vixenated) Ellie – Lara Croft – Tomb Raider series.
3. (Kipdon) Duncan – Jace Beleren – Magic: The Gathering series.
4. (2Cents) Mark – Gordon Freeman – Half-Life series.
5. (Behemoth542) John G. – Keeper – Dungeon Keeper 2.
6. (GotterakaThing) Erik – Cpt. Titus – Warhammer 40,000 series.
7. (therealsirmark4) Vinyl – Gaige – Borderlands 2.
8. (Godzillasrabbid) – John P. – Link – Legend of Zelda series.
9. (tilliot) Jonah – John Marston – Red Dead Redemption.
10. (Serefin) – Jake – Bakugan Brawler – Bakugan series.
11. (thedude0) Sam – Talon – League of Legends.
VGW (Return RPer) 1. (Squidward568) Chris – Faith – Mirror’s Edge
VGW 2. (TailsTheFox12) Nathan – Miles ‘Tails’ Prower – Sonic series.

Want to apply? Sign-ups here.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gevock:

Flagging posts and not responding to them is the best way to deal with problems others are making. You do not acknowledge them or give them the attention they want and they will leave.

RP Rules:

(Any rules that are in italics are very important.)

1. As can be seen from previous emphasis and from the first VR, this RP is freeform.
1.1 I’ll provide the group with general direction and objectives, as well as setting (and if you need details, just poke me and ask).
1.2 However, the way you interact and the way you accomplish the objectives is up to you, the players.
2. Related to 1, the RP is intended to be casual.
2.1 Having said that, if as the GM I directly ask something of you to keep everything going smoothly, please go ahead and do it.
2.2 Feel free to post OOC along with IC, but keep it related to the game and please use brackets (these things → [] ) to mark off OOC.
2.3 I will respond to potential new players at the earliest convenience; no player should.
3. I’m not going to give you a minimum or maximum limit for post detail. (One paragraph of at least three to four sentences is the minumum goal I usually set for myself.)
3.1 Please use full sentences, no matter how many you end up using.
3.2 Please use first-person present tense for your actions, preceded by your character’s name in italics. Read the original VR if you’re not sure what this means.
3.3 You will not be kicked out of the RP for inaction or little action, although you risk being forgotten and swept away in the passage of time. How you get back is up to you to conjure.
3.4 On that note, I will not be held responsible for any player who wants a summary of recent action to catch up.
4. Have fun!
4.1 (And if you have any questions, comments, or concerns about these rules, PM me and we’ll talk it over.)
FINE/QUASI-LEGAL PRINT: TailsTheFox12 (‘the GM’) reserves the right to subtract from, add to, or in any way modify these rules at any time. The GM will strive to preserve the spirit of freeform RP in any modifications. The players will be notified of rule changes by a post in the game thread from the GM set aside for the sole purpose of notification.

3.2 is new as of the RP’s current beginning now. (This notice is pending removal on August 15th.)

2.3 is new as of August 5th. (This notice is pending removal on August 19th.)

Flag Post

Player Statuses:

(Includes active, idle, and other specialized ones depending on where the story stands. I’ll make my best efforts to keep this updated as the game goes on; bear with me, though, it might not be quite right towards the start.)

1. Brian – In-game.
2. Ellie – In-game.
3. Duncan – Idle.
4. Mark – In-game.
5. John G. – In-game.
6. Erik – In-game.
7. Vinyl – In-game.
8. John P. – In-game.
9. Jonah – In-game.
10. Jake – In-game.
11. Sam – In-game.
12. Chris – In-game.
13. Nathan – In-game.

Group Status:

In formation.

Flag Post

Objectives:

Item 1. Get together at the testing facility. Complete.
Item 2. Play the games. Complete.
Item 3. Get up, get together, get moving!

Flag Post

I. Air.
II. Speed.
III. Sound.
IV. Energy.
V. Light.
VI. Space.
VII. Gravity.
VIII. Fire.
IX. Death.
X. Randomness.
XI. Darkness.
XII. Time.
XIII. Life.
XIV. Earth.
XV. Water.

Flag Post

[At this point, you should be arriving at the testing facility. If anyone wonders, the first VR does exist in this timeline. However, 1) the two failed experiements happen at roughly the same time, and 2) they happen in two different testing locations. The location of this facility is classified and also heavily guarded.]

Nathan

So the day’s finally here…
There’s a song by some strange parody singer about a hardware store; I guess that I feel kind of like the excited main character there. After using several modes of transportation (including a motorboat. Who the heck builds a research facility in the middle of a lake?) I finally get to the building. Then there’s paperwork, and verification, and a lot of other things…why can’t they just check for those microchips?

After getting past the entrance security, everything else is fairly open. Strangely enough, I don’t see any security cameras. Maybe that’s the point, that I don’t see them. Following some signs, I arrive in what looks like a large conference room, complete with long table. Apparently I’m supposed to wait here for the others. Taking a seat, I stretch a bit and then wait.

Flag Post

Sam

I arrive at the test facility by plane and look around before going in. Of course there’s tonnes of paperwork to do before I’m actually allowed in. I walk to the conference room but before I’m allowed in, they take my I-pod, presumably so I talk to the other testers. I go in the conference room and find that someone has arrived before me. I quickly say “Hi” to him before sitting down on the other side of the room.

Flag Post

Chris
My eyes begin to slowly open, riddled with fatigue. Yawning loudly, I stretch my arms out, hoping to dilute the sense of sleep swarming through my mind. Unfortunately, my attempts were futile, yet I managed to turn over to look at my clock. Thankfully, it wasn’t too late into the day, despite the fact that I slept through my alarms. I drag myself off my bed and stumble towards the bathroom. The day had finally arrived, and I wanted to look my best.

After washing, I got changed and said goodbye to my parents; I jumped onto my bike, and began to ride throughout town. At high speed, I was able to reach the train station reasonably fast, and managed to hop on just before it left. After two hours on the train, I traveled across a lake with a motorboat (why the hell was it in the middle of a bloody lake?), and arrived at the building. I tentatively pushed on the door, and I had to fill out a lot of paperwork. After that, I had to be verified (through a long process that felt like the length of the journey), and a variety of other things. It was rather annoying and stupid, but I understood why the do it. Couldn’t there be a simpler way?

After the security, I walked through the building by myself, surprisingly by myself. It was weird, going through all that and then let loose without any guidance. I eventually found my way to a large conference room. Pushing the door open, I spot two people sat, each on different sides of the room.

To bridge the gap between the two, I sit in the center, and introduce myself.
“Err… Hello. My name is Chris… Who are you?”

Flag Post

Erik
I had arrived to this god-forsaken site by means of car. Before I got here, I decided to wear my Space Wolves Space Marine T-Shirt along with my usual clothing. I decided to take a seat and get out my copy of the book Aurelian. I then started reading.

Flag Post

Mark

I have always loved the idea of virtual reality. It had been done before, but not to the extent of PUTTING you into the game. I had wanted to be the one to do this, the one to create the truly and ultimately immersive video game. Instead? I got to be a tester. My parents were a bit alarmed when I told them I got the letter, and the only reason they let me go was my big brother, who encouraged them to let me have this experience. He always backed me up. I knew that he was jealous of me, jealous that the younger one got the biggest opportunity of our lives. I reflected on this as my taxi stopped by the small marina.

“Hey, kid. We’re here,” The driver said in his gruff voice. Yet another thing my parents had worried about was getting here. I could be kidnapped, get lost, or get into trouble. They acted like I couldn’t do anything on my own. I payed the driver and left him a generous tip, considering he let a teenager into his taxi, and got out. Boats. Why did they need to build this thing in the middle of a lake? Noting that there might be something going on, I head onto a small dock and to a boat near the end.
“My name is Mark, I am supposed to be in the alpha testing or something of the new virtual reality thing?” The driver nodded, and motioned for me to get into the boat. Even more strange was the fact that he wore formal clothing while boating. I shrugged this off and got on.

And that is how I got here. Right outside this meeting room door, hearing a voice through it. I breathed deeply, and pushed the doors open.

Flag Post

Sam

Three more people arrive but only the first one speaks, asking us our names. “I’m Sam” I reply but otherwise keep quiet. I ask the second one “How come they let you have the book? My I-pod was taken away from me.”

Flag Post

Erik
“It’s not electronic. Besides, it’s a good book.”

Flag Post

Nathan

The number of testers in the room increases at a steady rate. The third one to arrive introduces himself as Chris, prompting Sam (the second to arrive) to introduce himself. Quietly I mention, “Nathan, call me Nate.” I knew that the control group was supposed to be young…but no-one here looks a day over eighteen. Was that part of the papers and I missed it?

Interrupting any further thoughts on my part, a facility staff member – dressed in the stereotypical white lab coat, no less – comes in and hangs a few sheets of paper on a board at the front of the room. I must have missed the board the first time I looked around. He leaves as soon as his task is done.

With no clear indication otherwise, I go up and look at the sheets. Thirteen of them are pinned by the top to the board, with depictions and brief backgrounds on one video game character each. Besides Tails and Sonic, none of the characters seem to have any meaningful reason to be listed together. Does it mean…the testers?

I lift up the bottom of the sheet about Tails. Sure enough, on the back is written ‘Nathan K.’ But I thought there were only supposed to be ten testers. Still rather confused, I head back to my seat and resume watching the others, trying to learn what I can about them while we’re together.

Flag Post

Erik
“Oh and by the way, my name is Erik. Don’t bother remembering that.” I say as I resume reading.

Flag Post

Chris
I nod at everyone who introduces themselves, in a kind of welcoming gesture. When a member of the staff hung up some sheets of paper on a board, I stand up and join Nate at the board. I lift up the file about Faith, and underneath it was the name Chris C. I unclip it, fold it up, and put it in my pocket, watching warily. After this, I begin to scan the other names idly.

Flag Post

John P.

I wake up. I had seen the billboard and commericials and youtube advertisments for this virtual reality machine. I had waited so long to play as Link.

I get onto my skateboard and skate to the place.

I see the big place. I take off my skateboard and my helmet and arrive in.

Flag Post

Sam

An official of some sort comes into the room and hangs up lists, apparently of the characters that we have chosen. I look around for Talon and find it quite quickly. I then look at the other ones to see who everyone else was playing. Chris puts his in his pocket before I look at it but I say nothing.
I then realise that other people might not like LoL as much as I do and quickly do the same with my sheet.

Flag Post

Chris
I notice that Sam had quickly taken his one, one of the only few I hadn’t managed to look at, and placed it in his pocket. I assume that he is hiding it for a reason, like me, and simply ignore it.

Flag Post

Erik
I went to the board and looked at the file labeled “Captain Titus”. I checked the name under it. Erik S. I took the paper out and pocketed it. Then I decided to look through the remaining files without anyone noticing. Cheating, I suppose, but I had a hunch as to what would happen to the VR. Something will definitely go wrong. I then returned to my seat and resumed reading.

Flag Post

Sam

I see Chris looking at me when I take my sheet. Assuming that he too is paranoid about other people looking at his character I say “If you want to know who I’m playing, you only have to ask.” and then go to sit down in a corner of the room, humming a song from a band I like.

Flag Post

Mark

Some others had arrived, and they were picking up their papers. I smile to myself and get up. Half-life was going to be a fun game to play through in person. I walk over and pick the sheet with the name “Gordon Freeman” off the wall, quickly stashing it in my pocket. The others are engaging in little conversation, so I decide to start something up.
“So, what do you think this is going to be like? Virtual Reality gaming, I mean.”

Flag Post

Chris
I turn to Mark.
“I know from experience, Virtual Reality is really awesome.”
I edge over to the corner of the room.
“So, I notice you are quite paranoid about your character too, but, I guess, we’ll all be seeing each other soon.” I say to him, and hand him my file.
“Would you mind if I looked at yours?”

Flag Post

Sam

“An interesting choice but I don’t think that there’s any need to hide it.” I say to Chris, seeing his character choice. I then pass him my sheet in hope that his reaction wouldn’t be too dissimilar.

Flag Post

Erik
I ponder to myself as to how I can beat the crap out of this “Plisskin” guy, because from what I can tell, he not only insults Snake Plissken’s surname, but he’s probably an arse.