'Forum Games' Forum Guidelines

38 posts

Flag Post

The original guidelines thread can be found here and arcaneCoder’s thread can be found here.

“After much consideration, Kongregate gives you the Forum Games Forums! Here is where you can make, participate in, and most of all—enjoy the wonders of Forum Games. While this was previously reserved to Off-Topic, forum games have become fairly popular and have now been given the honor of their own forum.”

Guidelines

1. Follow the Conduct Guidelines. Please don’t be a jerk, it’s not nice or awesome.

2. Do not derail threads. Please keep any off-topic discussion limited to the General Thread.

3. Please follow the host’s rules for their game. If you disagree with a particular rule, please bring up a reasonable discussion about it politely. It is best to do so in a way that does not impede the game.

4. Inappropriate games will be locked. If a game is deemed unfit for the Forum Games Forum, it will be locked at the forum moderator’s discretion. This includes, but is not limited to, games that are used to raise post count (e.g. “Above User” games) and games that break site-wide expectations of behavior. Games made prior to this rule have been grandfathered in. If your game is locked, privately message one of the forum moderators for assistance as needed.

5. Bump games with meaningful content when necessary. Throughout most of the forums, bumping is discouraged, but it is understood as a necessity here in certain cases. Use good judgement when you bump. A forum moderator will speak to you if they find your bumps do not follow this guideline. As always, it’s up to the forum moderator’s discretion.

6. Limit threads to two per game. This includes a sign-up thread for the game. If you require more than two threads for your game, contact one of the forum moderators.

7. When a game is finished, please add a “[Finished]” tag to the thread’s title and lock the thread. You can lock the thread by deleting the first post in the thread. You are encouraged to reserve the first post for this purpose. If you’re unable to delete the first post, you may flag it and request that a forum moderator lock the thread for you.

8. Once again, don’t be a jerk. Please show respect for the host of the game and if you have any issues, discuss them calmly and respectfully. Please respect the regulars, they’re more familiar with the forum and can assist you if you have any problems or questions.

9. There is a limit of one game per week. If you wish to have more then one game running at a time, please request approval in the Master Thread. If you do not follow this guideline, it’s up to the forum moderator’s discretion to limit your future game hosting abilities.

10. If you see a thread that does not belong (or it’s a game that violates the guidelines), please flag it and do not post in it. All you need to do is flag the opening post and ignore it. A forum moderator will address the issue accordingly.

Flag Post

Contact Information

Gevock:
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025170501
Email: Gevock@live.com

Flag Post

First!

Just kidding, looks good. I’ll read over in more detail in a moment.

[Edit: I approve.]

Flag Post

Such beauty.

Flag Post

Much organization

Flag Post

wow.
so formatted

Flag Post

SO… BEAUTIFUL!

Flag Post

What’s the difference?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Helltank:

What’s the difference?

Bump rule is elaborated on and the +1’ing rule is clarified (mentions grandfathering) and it looks better.

[Edit: and it’s posted by a/the current forum mod.]

Flag Post

Well, this is surprising.
I was not expecting yet another post thingy.

What’s the difference?

ArcaneCoder is not a mod here anymore, so the guidelines had to be updated to where the current mod felt he could enforce.
I think.

Flag Post

This looks nice (and updated)! I’ve been working on a forum game that I’ll hopefully have out by the end of the month (too busy to finish it due to other commitments in real life and NaNoWriMo at the moment). I’ve been waiting to join this sub-forum for a while so I’m excited.

(And added on Skype shhh)

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

First!

Just kidding, looks good. I’ll read over in more detail in a moment.

[Edit: I approve.]

Originally posted by MyNameIsNothing:

Such beauty.

Originally posted by GearsChicken:

Much organization

Originally posted by Behemoth542:

wow.
so formatted

Originally posted by Pigjr1:

SO… BEAUTIFUL!

Let me just fawn over here just a minute. Let me also mention that the most all of it bulk of this is adv0catus’ effort. This isn’t to say he’s now the rule-maker or something silly like that, but I do appreciate all the help he’s been for me with this and overall in FGF. 5/5, Would collab with again.

What’s the difference?

Minor rewriting of a few of the rules, as mentioned by adv0. Also, since aC is no longer a forum mod here, I figured to put myself in the spotlight (Let me start fawning again) so that people would know who to come to about FGF issues. Less confusion, more sense. What’s not to like?

I was not expecting yet another post thingy.

It’s been on my to do list for some time, believe me.

ArcaneCoder is not a mod here anymore, so the guidelines had to be updated to where the current mod felt he could enforce.
I think.

Close, but not really. The main reasons I’ve already mentioned, but I also felt like the rules needed an update since the community has, in a sense, updated as well. Plus the contact info thing will open communication between me and regulars for conversation, both casual and professional. Which is also good.

As with the other threads, always feel free to post here with questions, criticisms, concerns, and comments. If you leave me a message on my profile, I promise I will answer your questions posted.

Flag Post

Good job Gevock (and adv0).

Flag Post

No more awesome quotiness in the new guidelines? :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kadleon:

Quotes were awesome T_T

FGF Guidelines

10. If you see a thread that does not belong (or it’s a game that violates the guidelines), please flag it and do not post in it. All you need to do is flag the opening post and ignore it. A forum moderator will address the issue accordingly.

Flag Post

Quotes were awesome T_T

Basic html and textile makes quoting easy. Why should we need to make the guidelines look extraordinarily blocky when a simple bq or blockquote can be used? I never once used those quotes and still managed to point out rules just fine. The beauty of rules should be in their simplicity. The easier they are to read, the more likely people are to read them.

Flag Post

No Adeeb 0/5

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:

No Adeeb 0/5

:(

Flag Post

This is a removed post from the creator of the post, niceman555. He congratulates Gevock for his amazing skill with HTML. May this mark stay forever. I almost forgot about Avocado too. Congrats all!

Flag Post

Why exactly is Rule #7 a thing? Seems useless, imo.

Flag Post

It’s more or less just about locking the thread when closing your game, to avoid any necroposting. Staple forum rule.

Flag Post

Yeah, derp, forgot that Rule 7 had more to it than the [Finished] tag part. I get the locking part, but the [Finished] tags just seems like a liability and an unneeded thing.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Quick comment, some games that violate rule #4 are still viable, if they are not ‘do something to the post above’ games, and actually require thought and ingenuity. see here for example:
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/36-forum-games/topics/374192-mix-the-titles

It requires brainpower to think of funny names for mix-games, and actually promotes the purpose of Kongregate by spreading the names of games and encouraging people to play more games to find funny things to post on that topic.

Rule #4 is important, but games that require logical thought and/or promote kongregate should be given a little leeway on this point.

what do you think?