[Sign-Ups] The Realm of the Dead - Reformation page 2

81 posts

Flag Post

I’ve edited my character sheet to include the “Signature magic” section.

Flag Post

Name Oblaevi Finale (Formerly Andrés Sacrifice)

Age 2152 (Approx.)

Gender Male

Race Human

Appearance Oblaevi Finale dresses all in white. His long-sleeved shirt covers the tips of his slender fingers, and his pants reach down to scuff the tops of his white boots. Oblaevi wears a white blindfold, and his shoulder-length hair is of the exact same shade of white as his pants. The only deviation from this is his skin, which, though unnaturally pale, is not the true white of the rest of him. He carries a staff of ghostly white, with runes carved with a scalpel blanketing every square centimeter of it.

Faction The Resistance

Class Runesage. Oblaevi has an absolute understanding of runes, the language of magic, and can use them to form various complex spells. He carries around a scalpel to form runes as needed. Due to his unique condition(see Biography), Oblaevi is one of the few people who can safely damage, cut or otherwise tamper with runes without the chance that it will blow up in his face.

Signature Magic Oblivion Magic Oblaevi can cast a simple spell using nothing but thought known as Soul Vortex. This sucks in all the souls in the surrounding area(radius being about ten meters). Souls cannot be sucked out while still in bodies; that is, a soul can only go in the vortex if the body is already dead. Souls that go in the vortex are sucked away into the Void and completely erased from existence, preventing the formation of Half-Dead.

Depending on the amount of souls the vortex contains, Oblaevi can use Oblivion Magic to varying degrees of power. For obvious reasons, this power has not been used much, and as such its limits are still unknown. Thus is known of Oblivion Magic: it is always destructive, it usually involves the life forces or souls of living or dead beings, and is only controllable to a certain extent.

Oblaevi has so far used Oblivion Magic to summon a ghostly sword to cut through his enemies, wipe a person’s memory and shut down a being’s magical capabilities temporarily. The use of Oblivion Magic always leaves Oblaevi in a state of exhaustion and extreme fatigue. He has been known to suffer blinding headaches, flashes of nausea, loss of fine motor skills, sharp pain and in extreme cases, even blackouts.

Biography Andrés Sacrifice was a human spellcaster who wanted to become immortal. Terrified of death, he searched through tomes of forbidden knowledge to find any spell that would lengthen his life. He paid for long excavations through ancient sites in order to find some secret bastion of knowledge in his quest to cheat death. He finally found what he needed in the form of an underwater chamber unearthed by a team of Fish Skan divers. Alarmingly, they returned insane, shrieking of dark gods and terrible forces. One of them, in his last throes of rationality, gasped out a few sentences about a Book of the End, which supposedly had the power to grant immortality in exchange for a horrifying price.

Andrés viciously murdered all who knew about the chamber, then set into the chamber himself to find this Book of the End. He found it sealed, and after forcing it open through long hours of labor, found a horde of demons inside waiting for him. He managed to trick them into a dead end and allowed water to flood in, drowning the demons, but in the process was mortally wounded. Andrés made his way to the Book of the End, a plain black book, and when he touched it, he was frozen in stasis as the Book’s knowledge opened itself to him.

Through the Book of the End, Andrés learned the ancient language of magic, inscribed in runes of power. More importantly, he learned two other spells. One was Soul Vortex; the other had a name so terrible merely speaking it aloud would cause the speaker to go mad. Andrés invoked the nameless spell, and his soul was torn from him and sucked into a dimension known as the Void, where it was deleted from existence. This granted Andrés immortality, but should he be somehow killed, he would be suspended in the Void for all eternity, as his soul could not reach the afterlife.

He took a new name, Oblaevi Finale, and he was bound to the Void. For decades he lurked in the shadows, his intention to acquire ultimate power and as such never run the risk of dying. He murdered and schemed, plotted and stole. His very existence was known only as a blank monster who would destroy all that you hold dear. And just as he was in a position to seize power over Eltein and rule the Realm as the unchallenged overlord, the Dark Lord appeared and scuppered all his plans.

But Oblaevi Finale is an immortal, and immortals are patient. He waited for the Resistance to form, and grow in power and influence, and when the time was ripe he revealed himself to them, proclaimed himself as an ally of their cause, and offered to lend his considerable power to their efforts to destroy the Dark Empire.

Flag Post

Updated Lexa’s (lack of) belief.

Flag Post

Well seeing as I was in the original I had best sign for the remake

Name: Ofgoso
Race: Human.
Appearance: About 6 foot, neck length brown hair, brown eyes, Athletic but lightly muscled build.
Faction: Freelancer
Class: Knight with archer skills
Signature Magic: No main magic, however has an underlying ability that increases his strength, stamina, ETC, when in deep peril
Biography: Born into a fairly standard family, however he was framed for murder at age 19, he managed to escape the law and executed the people who framed him, after this he was unable to rejoin civilized society so he left into a desert. by the time he was 20 he had become a freelancer and has slowly become one of the more infamous freelancers in the area. His weapons are a dagger which had been passed down to him, known as the steel inferno. He has a sword known which he made himself, and a bow he found in a temple known as the rampant daedra.

Flag Post

Name: Marius Embelus
Race: Human
Appearance: Marius has long dark hair that reaches his bellybutton. He is slim and six foot tall. His eyes are brown. Other facial features cannot be seen due to the presence of a piece of cloth tied round his face to cover his nose and below, the cloth is black. He has some muscle but not a lot (Just enough to tell). Wears black leather chaps and a large black leather coat (Down to his knees). The coat has 11 inside pockets.
Faction: None/User created (The Distributers of Unusual Substances).
Class: Runner – The runner is a class not expertly trained to fight but can do if necessary. They are however trained in agility, speed and stamina. As to get away from places fast or make it from A to B fast.
Signature Magic: Illusion – Majorly trained in magic that deals little physically harmful effects however can confuse people and cause hallucinations.
Biography: Marius was born into a rather bad background in a crime prominent area. It was at the age of twelve that The Distributers of Unusual Substances took him under their wing and trained him to become a dealer of these substances. At the age of sixteen he went on a large job with other renown members of the group, of course this went terribly wrong. Marius managed to escape with a few others but many died and money lost. The group disliked him for it. It was only at eighteen that the group had accepted it and began to treat him with respect again.
Slowly he worked his way up the group to a main distributor by twenty-two. Now he only goes on larger deals, distributes lower runners and something shipment unloading. He still works with this group.
Other: No.

Flag Post
Drunkasawhale’s Sign up sheet

Wow! A human thats 2152 years old, id love to meet that guy!

Flag Post

Ofgoso and Marius are both accepted. Oblaevi… is not. Don’t get me wrong, drunk, it’s a good idea in general, and you’ve obviously put a lot of thought into it, but…
A. The very existence of the character would mean a lot of assumptions about the Realm, Detas, and the setting as a whole that simply haven’t been decided yet;
B. You’ve allowed the character the use of a form of magic that no sane person would ever use willingly or even have any desire to use, and which no player should be allowed to control for how ridiculously powerful it is;
C. You’ve granted the character effective immortality, in terms of both death immunity – broken in and of itself, for reasons that should be obvious – and aging – I said that humans only live to an average of 80 years, and I ruddy well meant it, buster; if you want a 2000+ year old character, they’re almost certainly a Half-Dead, or maybe a Flashnu with excessive luck and a butt-ton of life-extending magical enhancements, though at that sort of age, they’re clinging to the wrong side of death’s door, and they’re absolutely going to suffer for it.
Long story short, Oblaevi cannot exist. Please make a different character, drunk.

On a less critical note, I’ve been asked about the existence of other undead archetypes for humans, such as vampires, revenants, and liches. Regarding these, I’d like to note that there’s nothing stopping a given zombie or skeleton from reconstructing their flesh through use of magic, so as to not look like corpses; that magic involving the manipulation of blood and/or replication of other typical vampiric abilities is not typically too difficult, if one is dedicated enough to go with it; and that liches are basically zombies or skeletons with lots of magic (which is already present in the Half-Dead anyway) and a phylactery (which is rather difficult to balance in game terms, and difficult to properly justify in the setting without assuming things that, as previously stated, have not been decided yet, so those aren’t going to be things).

EDIT:

Here’s how it goes: the events of the original games still “happened”, but in this continuum, everything went significantly differently than what is presented in the original RPs (and those who survived the planet’s destruction have left the area anyway);

So this changed.

Flag Post

Added Signature Magic.

Flag Post

BC,

A. Could you elaborate on what I assumed? Sorry if I accidentally fudged up your physics.

B and C are… fair enough, I supposed. I half-expected this response when I made Oblaevi. I did put some work into him, so is there any chance he can stay around as an NPC or something?

Meh. Going to post my new character sheet up soon.

Flag Post

Name Kiruox Opheim, the Indomitable

Age 411

Gender Male

Race Half-Dead (Skeleton)

Appearance Kiurox Opheim is a walking skeleton, his flesh having decayed away over three and a half centuries. However, he wears a suit of navy blue armor at all times, and this serves to conceal him. The armor is blank, made of plates of steel and strengthened by magic. It is bulky, consisting of a chestplate, a backplate that covers his shoulders, a series of interlocking rectangles for the arms and legs, gauntlets and high boots, as well as a helmet that covers his entire face except for the hollow pits of his eye sockets.

Faction The Resistance

Class Tanky Spellcaster, specializing in direct, mental spells that attack the enemy. While Kiruox Opheim has some limited healing abilities in regards to himself, he is best when attacking the enemy with his will(see Signature Magic) or when using his favored magical element, fire. He uses his armor as a channel for his magic and his powers are greatly depleted without it. As such, his armor is very hardy, being magically and physically reinforced.

Signature Magic Due to the nature of his death as a human and his subsequent rebirth as a Half-Dead(see Biography), Kiruox Opheim can use his willpower and channel it as a physical force. It is possible to, say, create a weapon out of willpower, but this is very mentally demanding and the weapon will likely be not much better than a physical weapon of the same type and size. A much more common use is to simply use his will as a weapon in itself, manifesting as an invisible force that can bludgeon his enemies, knock them back or even pin them to the ground. It is possible to resist his will with enough magic of your own, or by sheer brute force.

Biography Kiruox Opheim was a hero in the Resistance, a fire mage known for his ruthlessness in battle. At one point, he and a group of other Resistance spellcasters were ambushed by an overwhelming number of Dark Empire forces. The other spellcasters decided to flee the encounter, knowing it was a doomed fight, but Kiruox fought on, throwing fire spell after fire spell until he was defeated by sheer weight of numbers. This earned him the title Indomitable, and such was the force of his will that when he came back to life as a Half-Dead, he found that his increased magical abilities allowed him to use his will as a physical manifestation.

Kiruox has vowed that he will be there and will be watching personally when the Dark Lord is finally brought down. He jumps at every chance to damage the Dark Empire, even risking his life(or, as it was, existence) to hamper the Dark Lord’s plans.

Flag Post

Kiruox seems much more reasonable as a character, especially considering that what he’s got for magic is not too dissimilar to what I gave my own character in the original games. As for Oblaevi, well… let’s start from the top.
First off, I don’t know whether or not to include souls in the setting just yet, is the biggest point here. At the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter whether or not they exist, which is why I’m leaving the matter undecided.
Second, runes being “the language of magic”. This assumes that magic, as a force permeating the world, has a language that describes it; in this case, it can probably be safely said that, as an omnipresent force, it doesn’t particularly need a language, so it doesn’t have one.
Oblaevi’s profile also invokes the application of a dimension completely separate to anything that might otherwise be present in the world; before you bring up Dulbur’s story-based imprisonment in “the oblivion beyond time”, that wouldn’t be its own dimension, but instead literally outside of anything that might be considered to have “time”, and he certainly wasn’t deleted from existence in the same stories (which, I hasten to add, is what they are – stories invented by mortals, and so without credence regarding the existence of any given deities that may or may not exist, even if they actually happened).
As for whether or not he can exist as an NPC… not in the form he exists in the profile, and most likely not at all, given the massive discrepancies in the same.

Flag Post

Just to say I do like how you kept and revamped a lot of the features from the old games i.e. Races, Gods, ect.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RandomTurtle:

Just to say I do like how you kept and revamped a lot of the features from the old games i.e. Races, Gods, ect.

Why, thank you.

Flag Post

When’s the game gonna start?

Flag Post

PS: The links to the original games are screwed up. The address is double-typed or something.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Xandrya:

PS: The links to the original games are screwed up. The address is double-typed or something.

Aw, dammit. Well, you can always look for them in the search bar, I guess…

Originally posted by Behemoth542:

When’s the game gonna start?

I’ve decided ten players, and more can always join if they so wish.

Flag Post

Hi, not joining, but mentioning that you can fix the links by including http:// in front of them. If you don’t, it adds the forum link in front of them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bluji:

Hi, not joining, but mentioning that you can fix the links by including http:// in front of them. If you don’t, it adds the forum link in front of them.

Ah. Well, thank you for the help regarding that, it certainly did help.

Flag Post

Will you be accepting more than one dark assistant?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ZeroTheDark:

Will you be accepting more than one dark assistant?

A-nooo.

Flag Post

I see, BC.

Too bad, then. I really liked Oblaevi. So Kiruox is accepted?

Flag Post

Kiruox is accepted, yes. Check out the list of signed players on the first page.

Flag Post

Signature Magic and God of Worship added.

Flag Post

May we start since the 10th character is in the makings?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Xandrya:

May we start since the 10th character is in the makings?

Technically, we’d still only have nine characters, since Behemoth would end up being the assistant rather than a normal player character if nobody else volunteers. I should change the sign-up list to show that…

EDIT: Actually, just noticed a possible slight discrepancy in Icarus’ biography, regarding the time at which he was resurrected potentially conflicting with the Dark Lord’s rise to power. I suppose I should mention when the latter is, so let’s say that it was roughly twelve years before the game’s beginning; and since it’s entirely possible that the Dark Lord was gathering power for a while before assuming direct control of the Realm, ignore what I said earlier about Icarus’ profile’s discrepancy.