Arena of the Times: Week 2: Token Overhaul

63 posts

Flag Post

Arena of Times, what to expect from it? Well, its going to be a arena game, for people new or old to this type of genre. There will be many options to improve your character, and every week there will be a challonge bracket with all the fight, winner will get 1 Token of Time. With this particular token you can do only one thing at the starting moments. Get a second character. Everyone has equal chances at winning these tournaments that happen on sundays. People will have the option to join the game anytime, and anytime they can edit their character or characters. There will be 4 different options to change their characters.

The first week I will keep open for people to sign and comment on the balance of the game, also suggestions are welcome. Creating a character you need to use this template

Name:
Race:
Class:
Profession:
Allegiance:

Races – 8

Human

• 20% increased damage to Undead.
  • First stun of the battle will be mitigated.

Undead

• 20% increased damage to Elves.
  • 4 plague damage.

Elves

• 20% increased damage to Orcs.
  • Strikes 2 bonus times on the first round up.

Orcs

• 20% increased damage to Human.
  • 20% increased stun chance.

Blood Orcs

• 20% increased critical strike chance.
  • 12 bonus damage.
  • Cannot benefit from evasion, stun threshold or multihitting.

Blood Lords

• 8 blood damage.
  • 10% increased critical strike chance.

Abomination

• Both players have their health halved.
  • 50 bonus health

Evolved Leeches

• Does not benefit from classes.
  • Copies half of the enemy stats.

Classes – 11

Warrior

• 15% increased stun chance.
  • 16 bonus health.

Archer

• Strikes 2 bonus times on the first round up.
  • 4 bonus damage.

Vanguard Soldier

• 6 bonus damage.
  • 16 bonus health.

Gladiator

• 10% stun threshold.
  • 10% bonus evasion.
  • 12 bonus health.

Assassin

• 6 bonus damage.

Knight

• Double effect from the allegiance perks.

Slave

• Double effect from the profession perks.

Paladin

• 10 light damage.
  • 4 bonus damage.

Alchemist

• 7 plague damage.

Perfectionist

• Critical strike chance is doubled.
  • Damage is halved.
  • 6 blood damage.

Slayer

• 6 cannibalism.
  • 4 bonus damage.
  • 6 light damage.

Professions – 8

Stone Mason

• 10% increased stun chance.
  • 8 bonus health.
  • 2 bonus damage.

Builder

• 10% stun threshold.
  • 14 bonus health.

Messenger

• 15% bonus evasion.
  • 4 bonus damage.

Guard

• 18 bonus health.
  • 4 bonus damage.

Assassin

• 6 bonus damage.

Strategist

• Halves the opponents multihit.
  • 6 bonus damage.

Acrobat

• 10 counter damage.
  • 7 bonus health.

Librarian

• 14 light damage.
  • 12 bonus health.

Allegiances – 7

Vanguard of Windwalkers

• Strikes 1 bonus time on the first round up.
  • 2 bonus damage.
  • 12 bonus health.

Dark Priesthood

• 10 shadow damage.
  • 8 bonus health.

Slayers of Dragons

• 36 bonus health.

Young Elementalists

• 2 plague damage.
  • 4 light damage.
  • 4 blood damage.
  • 6 shadow damage.

Sons of Torture

• 3 bonus stack damage.
  • 10 bonus health.

Fighters Cult

• 4 plague damage.
  • 3 stack damage.

Swifty Clan

• Attacks twice each round, except first one.
  • You cant benefit from class or profession.

Basic character stats

• 15 health
  • 4 damage

Game Mechanics explanation
Stack Damage – After a victory, your damage is increased by the amount. Does not persist to the next week.
Cannibalism – After a victory, your health is increased by the amount. Does not persist to the next week.
Stun – Succesful stun removes opponents next attack phase.
Evasion – Evades the opponents attack.
Critical Strike – Deals 150% of the original damage.
Shadow Damage – When you stun, you deal bonus damage equal to your shadow damage.
Plague Damage – Poisons the target for the set amount of damage, stacking infinitely. Undead are immune.
Light Damage – When you are stunned, you heal for your damage and deal your light damage to the enemy.
Blood Damage – When you critical strike, you deal bonus damage equal to your blood damage.
Counter Damage – When you evade, you deal damage equal to your counter damage.

Token Explanations
More use for tokens will come along as the game expands. So don’t waste them if you don’t feel like it.

Shame Token – Granted when you are in the start of the tournament in the last round of the bracket.

• Can be traded for a winner token or two loser tokens.

Lucky Token – Granted when you are in the start of the tournament in the second last round of the bracket.

• Can be traded for a winner token or two loser tokens.

Winner Token – Granted for winning a fight.

• Eight winner tokens can be traded for a time token.

Loser Token – Granted for losing a fight.

• Three loser tokens can be traded for one winner token.

Semifinals Token – Granted for being in the semifinals in a tournament.

• Two semifinals tokens can be traded for one Finals token.

Finals Token – Granted for being in the finals in a tournament.

• Two finals tokens can be traded for one time token.

Time Token – Granted for winning a tournament.

• Can be used to have 2 characters in a tournament once.

Flag Post

…I think I’ll sign up for this. It looks reasonably good, and there’s a lot of potentially great, or even broken, combos in there…

Name: Gazgh’kan the Waaaagh!‘amma’
Race: Orc
Class: Warrior
Profession: Stone Mason
Allegiance: Dark Priesthood

Final Stats:
Health: 20 + 20 + 8 + 8 = 56
Damage: 6 + 3 + 2 = 11 (+ 10 against stunned) (x 1.2 against humans)
Stun Chance: 10 + 20 + 10 + 10 = 50%
Evade Chance: 10%

So the goal here is pretty obvious. Incidentally, what exactly does increasing stun threshold do?

Flag Post

Directly reduces the enemies chance to stun you. If your chance to stun would be 50%, and he had 15% stun threshold, your stun chance is reduced to 35%.

As the game progresses, I am hoping of adding more different classes races etc. it will bring up many many different combos and variations. I thought to start short and see how this all works out. I am hoping to get at least 4 players until the first sunday.

Flag Post

Apparently my post was removed for some reason.

Stun threshold reduced the stun chance of the attacker by the equal amount.

10% of stun threshold removed 10% stun chance from the attacker.

Flag Post

Hm, I might sign up, depending on how active you have to be.

But can i check, will there be like updates for new classes, allegiances e.t.c, cuz i might not play, buti could help with ideas and suggestions.

Also, looks good so far, hopefully it goes well

Flag Post

Name: gammaflux
Race: Elf
Class: Archer
Profession: Messenger
Allegiance: Vanguard of Windwalkers

Final Stats:
Health: 20 + 12 = 32
Damage: 6 + 4 + 2 = 12 (14 against orcs)
Evasion: 20%
Strikes 5 bonus times on the first round up. (Elf +2, Archer +2, Vanguard of Windwalkers +1)

Flag Post

Name: Skele
Race: Undead
Class: Gladiator
Allegiance: Slayer of Dragons

Final Stats:
Health: 20 + 12 + 30 = 62
Damage: 6 + 2 = 8 ( + 5 Plague Damage) (1.2x Against Elves)
Stun Chance: 10%
Evade Chance: 10 + 20 + 15 = 45%
Stun Threshold: 15%

Question: What is plague damage and the fact it ‘stacks’? Damage per turn, or just stacks on normal damage?

Flag Post

Name: Steven. Just Steven.
Race: Human
Class: Vanguard Soldier
Profession: Guard
Allegiance: Slayers of Dragons

Final stats:
Health: 20 + 24 + 24 + 30 = 98
Damage: 6 + 6 + 4 = 16 (x 1.2 against undead)
Stun chance: 10%
Evade chance: 10%
Stun tolerance: 0%
- Ignore first stun received
- One bonus strike on first round

When it comes to balance, well… yeah.
gammaflux kills everyone except me in the first round (12 * 6 = 72 initial damage).
Gazgh’kan the Waaaagh!‘amma’ stuns enemies half of the time.
Skele dodges enemies almost half of the time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheGodOfDragons:
Originally posted by jerenator:
Health: 20 + 24 + 24 + 30 = 98

Why’d you do 20+24+24+30, you did one too many 24.
Should be 20+24+30 = 74

Actually he was correct, Vanguard Soldier and guard, both give 24 hp each.

Flag Post

Yeah, forgot bout the profession, you should probs bold them or underline them in the first post btw

Flag Post

mep why not….

Name: Gazgh’kan the Cheap Copy
Race: Orc
Class: Warrior
Profession: Stone Mason
Allegiance: Dark Priesthood

Final Stats:
Health: 20 + 20 + 8 + 8 = 56
Damage: 6 + 3 + 2 = 11 (+ 10 against stunned) (x 1.2 against humans)
Stun Chance: 10 + 20 + 10 + 10 = 50%
Evade Chance: 10%

Gamma already took the multi hit op elf! so im going to take the op tank! Hey, since everything is op, maybe it is balanced!
Edit: NOOO tank, Status abuser, Dodger, and op hitter… I’ll just copy one of them…

Flag Post

You need to weaken strikes. Maybe the bonus strikes are spread or maybe each bonus strike is weakened, cuz honestly I agree with jerenator.

Still the whole point of characters is to be OP in one thing (IMO) or spread out
But being OP in one thing means its crap in everything else.
So lets see…
SO FAR:
Gazgh, fair stats, but with a good ability
Gammaflux, super small hp, mega attack, but has evasion which would f you up
FelineForumer, like Gazgh
Jerenator, Super high HP, Damage is pretty good and bonus strike, but not too good abilities

EDIT: Ilovekirby12, You should have named it ‘amma’!hgaaaaW eht nak’hgzaG :)

Flag Post

Pretty sure you just repeated what I said.

It’s 6*12; you’re forgetting the initial hit.

Flag Post

@TheGodOfDragons, activity = at least once a week, and that only if you want to be a part of the tourny the sunday. All of the time on the week you just discuss with others and refine your character. This sunday there will be a test tourny but it grants no rewards and just will show you how the game works. So for activity, you can just create a character each week and hope to win, but then you wont learn much about other players characters. Since the challonge bracket will be random generated, you might end up fighting your counter in the first round and then you lose.

Also after the “test sunday” i will add a few more professions/races etc, and balance a little the old ones. In the end there will be so many options you will have a hard time deciding what to construct your dude with. You can suggest new things to me right now, and they might be added in the next week.

@FelineForumer, when you hit once your next hit deals 5 more damage on the next round, so this does not work with turn one multi hitting.

@jerenator, for balance, I generally just threw stuff in there and moderately thought about the balance. Thats why the first week is discussion and a test tourny.

@TheGodOfDragons, new stats can and most likely be added later. Currently i am 100% sure i will add critical strike and some sort of defence, but dont want to make it too strong.

Flag Post

Oh dear. Removed by admin.

Now we don’t know what important game-related information he tried to relay to us.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jerenator:

Oh dear. Removed by admin.

Now we don’t know what important game-related information he tried to relay to us.

I think that’ll be undone at some point, since it was for the last one that got removed. Also, realising just now that bonus strikes can potentially be horrendously OP… hmm.

Flag Post

@BCLEGENDS, I will most likely nerf this harshly, or develope a counter mechanic with a small nerf to the multihit.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ArenaTimes:

@TheGodOfDragons, activity = at least once a week, and that only if you want to be a part of the tourny the sunday. All of the time on the week you just discuss with others and refine your character. This sunday there will be a test tourny but it grants no rewards and just will show you how the game works. So for activity, you can just create a character each week and hope to win, but then you wont learn much about other players characters. Since the challonge bracket will be random generated, you might end up fighting your counter in the first round and then you lose.

Also after the “test sunday” i will add a few more professions/races etc, and balance a little the old ones. In the end there will be so many options you will have a hard time deciding what to construct your dude with. You can suggest new things to me right now, and they might be added in the next week.

@FelineForumer, when you hit once your next hit deals 5 more damage on the next round, so this does not work with turn one multi hitting.

@jerenator, for balance, I generally just threw stuff in there and moderately thought about the balance. Thats why the first week is discussion and a test tourny.

@TheGodOfDragons, new stats can and most likely be added later. Currently i am 100% sure i will add critical strike and some sort of defence, but dont want to make it too strong.

It has been revealed.

Flag Post

IMO
-I think Blood Damage should heal them… Or at least another kind of damage should (cuz doesnt blood lord sound like some kind of vampire).
-Something related to healing?
-You said “hard the undead” in your Undead Races, should replace that.
-Alchemist, profession, deals poison damage?
-Defense/Blocks, Defense to get less damage, blocks maybe 50% of damage and are like the same as critical.
-Well you need more allegiances… maybe. The Knight’s Order. Something to do with more Warrior/Paladin related stuff
-Holy Damage?
-Class, like a priest, or a mage.
-Sub races? Like Undead goes into Skeletons e.t.c? Though this might be a bit far

This is what i could think of. So far…

Flag Post

I think we need more allegiances as well. TGOD, light damage is what heals a person – when stunned, you heal for that much, and damage the opponent for that much.

Flag Post

There will be more on monday, do not worry.

Flag Post

Name: Daedalus
Race: Elf
Class: Gladiator
Allegiance: Slayers of Dragons
HP: 62
Damage: 8 (1.2X Orcs)
Stun Chance: 10%
Stun Threshold: 15%
Evade Chance: 45%
2 Strikes on First Round Up

Flag Post

It is sunday, really early sunday but still sunday, and i have decided to start the tournament! Here is the bracket:

http://challonge.com/ArenaTimes1

Results will pop in there as i complete calculations.

Flag Post

Good luck everyone. =3

Flag Post

First fight submitted, the number indicates how much damage they did. Winner i bolded with yellow if you have ever seen challonge.