New Reign of Crime - Signups & OOC

12 posts

Flag Post

In the far future, laser weapons replace conventional weapons, being effective, nonlethal tools for police. They’re rarely needed as crime rates have virtually evaporated since the creation of an extensive safety net meaning that nobody needs to, a shift in values meaning that nobody wants to, and a new economy meaning that nobody should break the law. However, criminalizing Salvia divinorum created a new black market that criminals gladly exploited, and together with the invention of armor effective against lasers and a large surplus of powerful laser weapons from the military getting publicly available, the soil is fertile:

There’s a new reign of crime; my question is, how will criminals, police and civilians respond to it?

Here’s the character sheet:

Name:
Profession: (A police officer, criminal or an affected civilian.)
Inventory:
Equipment:
Powers: (Police only. You read everyone their rights, get warrants, etc. For now…)
Connections: (Who you know, but is not expected to know.)

To begin with, everything is normal; however, antisocial people and small-time criminals hear about the surplus of laser weapons and the invention of effective armor, and they see a great opportunity to get rich when Salvia becomes criminalized. Also, it’s going to take a lot to legalize it again, especially if the political situation doesn’t change…

Flag Post

Noooo, you forget the reserved for lock post D:

Flag Post

You also didn’t explain what exactly “Salvia” is, other than something illegal.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BCLEGENDS:

You also didn;t explain what exactly “Salvia” is, other than something illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia

Flag Post

Now, are anyone actually interested in participation? Also, BCLEGENDS:

Originally posted by BCLEGENDS:

You also didn;t explain what exactly “Salvia” is, other than something illegal.

That’s called tangential learning, or at least it’s something very similar. Your point still stands; I meant Salvia divinorum, and I’ll edit the first post.

Flag Post

euerrhh
What happened to Endlings? You have to remember, the players are fickle bastards, you have to occasionally smash your game into their faces and make them choke on their blood as they write a response bump/prod it, at least once.
Oah well.

Flag Post

I got kinda sick of it, and I got the impression that you guys didn’t really mind, because you didn’t complain until almost a week since last activity. Either way, please sign up! Or tell me why you don’t want to! I’m supposed to appreciate constructive criticism.

Flag Post

I’d like to sign, but I’m not going to do it first. I’m too shy for that.

Flag Post

Seems like a nice idea for an RP but it’s rather underdeveloped.

What’s the setting? You gave us little past “far future”. What other important technological advances have occurred? What do the cities look like? What are the people like? What are their motives? What led to the criminalization of this drug? Clarify what the roles of each profession are. What type of people are important to have as connections? So many questions.

I suggest actually planning out your universe far before you make a game in it, otherwise you fall into the trap of not having much to engage people with.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ghostreconz:

Seems like a nice idea for an RP but it’s rather underdeveloped.

What’s the setting? You gave us little past “far future”. What other important technological advances have occurred? What do the cities look like? What are the people like? What are their motives? What led to the criminalization of this drug? Clarify what the roles of each profession are. What type of people are important to have as connections? So many questions.

I suggest actually planning out your universe far before you make a game in it, otherwise you fall into the trap of not having much to engage people with.

Brasta, take note:
People like stories, that’s why we’re here, instead of playing the latest Medal of Duty, Call of Honor game. It’s a good idea to sit with something for a time, look at all of the angles of the world you’ll create, then, if you like it enough, or feel that it’s interesting enough, you’ll end up with a fairly connected backstory that you then use to tell us, so the players can become intrested, and that they can collaborate with the story together in the form of a game.
You don’t need to create the genealogy for the ruling family going back thousands of years, tracing what they had for breakfast on what day, their Netflix preferences, Etc.
Just a little something more than the elevator pitch that you’re throwing out right now. Because that’s what it is, a pitch. It’s piquing people’s interest, but it lacks.. Substance. It doesn’t convey to us the whole purpose of your idea. ‘Laser Weapons’. Is what we’re told about Law Enforcement, which somehow makes all crime disappear. How?
It doesn’t even have to be a good explanation, it could be ‘cause lazers shoot badguys really fast, and then they can’t steal stuff’. But it’s a start, it tells us more about the world.
Why did Salvia suddenly explode into such high demand that organized crime began peddling it? Why not use other narcotics? Is it because of a new synthesis of Salvia that is this super hallucinogen/opiate? Is it only used by the poor masses? Or is a bit of a ’gentleman’s drug’, carried around in snuff boxes or whatever is in fashion?
Tell us a story, and the people will come to you

Wow. Sorry about the rant. But I feel it’s all valid. Think on your ideas a bit more before you release them, if you decide that there isn’t much else substance to it and your attention wanders, it probably wasn’t that good an idea.

Flag Post

Well, I thought that other people would interpret this as an opportunity to explore the everyday implications of the Prohibition Era and what people are willing to sacrifice in terms of rights in order to stop crime, like I did. But that kinda failed, I guess? My question would be: how would everyday people and police react to an explosion in crime, and criminalizing something that has almost became part of the everyday routine? When has the government gone to far in their quest to stop crime, and when, if ever, are the criminals in the right? And yes, I did make a poorly developed world. You caught me there, although I still think that you’ve missed a few things about it.

I briefly mentioned that the virtual disappearance of crime is not only caused by an effective welfare system, meaning that nobody would be forced to become criminals out of desperation, about how the implications of a new economy mean that people would earn better in other jobs anyway, and about how the culture has changed; which is to say, that almost all other psychological causes of crime have been eliminated. Now, on to “the far future”:

I think far future isn’t quite accurate, now that I think about it. The energy crisis has been solved, medicine has been revolutionized and the (unnamed, yet suspiciously similar to the U.S) country you live in has transformed into a borderline utopia. Finally, laser weapons have been invented, and considering how conventional weaponry has been virtually eliminated by advances in body armor and medical care, they’re a necessary upgrade. Their ability to work just as easily as nonlethal and very lethal weapons, and their absolute silence, is an incredible advantage that makes them almost universally adopted by the police and the army. Even so, they need to be replaced and upgraded every once in a while, and what happens to the old stuff? They’re sent to surplus stores around the country, where they’re sold to everyone and anyone. Lastly, a mysterious figure has invented armor that is effective against laser weaponry, and is selling it at exorbitant prices. It’s virtually impossible to get to this guy, and what he sells is far too expensive to justify getting it to the police, meaning that criminals end up with the upper hand.

In response, what was a free utopia slowly turns into a place where you’re stopped for speeding by tired policemen who wave their weapons at you impulsively because they’re terrified of being killed by criminals, and where you can be searched and put you into custody whenever the police want to, and the criminals slowly become more and more likable, while the deficiencies, corruption and issues in the political system show their ugly head. Obvious solutions to severe problems take years because of the crude political system where there are only two parties that aren’t allowed to agree on anything in order to please their voting groups and keep their jobs. And you’re the police, criminals and citizens affected by all this. Does it sound interesting now?

Flag Post
Does it sound interesting now?

I never said it wasn’t interesting, it just needs all of that explanation in the beginning.