Forum Games Forum Guidelines (locked)

227 posts

Flag Post

After much consideration, Kongregate gives you the Forum Games Forums! Here is where you can make, participate in, and most of all—enjoy the wonders of Forum Games. While this was previously reserved to Off-Topic, forum games have become fairly popular and have now been given the honor of their own forum.

Now before we get to the rules, there is one catch to this new forum. It is new and it may possibly be removed if the forum is abused or if it becomes too much of a problem. That being said, I’m sure everyone will act just fine and will follow these simple rules:

1. Don’t spam. This includes posting derailing comments in games you’re not a part of.

2. Avoid off-topic discussion on game threads. Keep it on the profile.

3. Don’t be a jerk. This includes ‘god-modding’ and breaking game-specific rules.

4. Games deemed unfit by modding staff will be locked. Report if you wish to appeal.

5. Rating games/“… The Above Poster” games are NOT allowed.

6. You may not bump just to keep your game going or on the front page.

7. You may open a second game only if three regulars approve it.

8. Declare your game closed or finished in the thread title or lock it yourself by deleting the first post. You may post a [reserved for lock] post before the post.

9. You may only have two threads open at a time per game. This includes your sign-ups, so if you want to have a second non-sign up thread for your game, you need to either request a mod lock it, or lock it by deleting the first post.

Flag Post

So if we fail/abuse the forum, will the games be redirected to Off-Topic Forums?

[I think you should lock this?]

Flag Post

So if we fail/abuse the forum, will the games be redirected to Off-Topic Forums?

Pretty much.

[I think you should lock this?]

No you don’t D:! We left this open so people could give suggestions, comments, etc. on the guidelines. Just because we made them doesn’t mean they’re not subject to change.

Flag Post

besides, the forum is practicly an exparament to see how this works,plus it’s also for our enjoyment,so dont lock your opinon.

Flag Post

So Gevock is this Forum only for forum games? (Just asking)

Flag Post

Another question:

Can you “Sticky” the [Games] so when the game falls off page 1, you don’t have to look for it in page 2?

Can you un-Sticky threads?

Flag Post
Originally posted by rokun:

So Gevock is this Forum only for forum games? (Just asking)

Yes. Threads made that have nothing to do with forum gaming will most likely be locked. However, we are still unsure as to the precise response to threads made for a forum game. So if this comes up, we’ll talk and discuss what to do and it may stay unlocked or be locked.

Originally posted by hero122:

besides, the forum is practicly an exparament to see how this works,plus it’s also for our enjoyment,so dont lock your opinon.

Even though we’re throwing around the word experiment a lot, doesn’t mean this is a completely fragile thing. We do expect some problems, but if this forum is absolutely clogged or some other major problem, it may be removed, yes. Also, this topic is staying free to discussion because of the reason I posted above.

Originally posted by Key_Bearer:

Another question:

Can you “Sticky” the [Games] so when the game falls off page 1, you don’t have to look for it in page 2?

Even though stickying and unstickying threads isn’t hard, it’s not going to be used. Why? Every game does not need to be stickied because it isn’t staying popular. So I’m sorry, but I seriously doubt games will ever be stickied.

Also, what Marh said is good too.

Flag Post

Another question:

I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking, but if you’re asking if we’ll sticky game threads to keep them off the second page, that’s a big ‘no’. Stickying is only meant for threads that are essential the forum, for example this one.

Flag Post

To add on to what they had to say:

We’re only going to have 20 active games at any given time (for now), and more than 20 threads are visible on the front page. So, to be honest, no active game or sign-up thread should ever fall to the second page as it is set up currently.

Flag Post

So there is supposedly 20(Games) + 20(Sign-ups) + 3(Forum Help, etc.) = 43 total?

Flag Post

The sign-ups should be closed before the game starts, no? Or at least, once the game is started, it’s okay for the sign-ups to sink to the second page (since they would anyway, if we did sticky the games).

If, for whatever reason, you have an active game with concurrent sign-ups, you’re welcome to link to your sign-ups in your game thread’s OP…?

Flag Post

I think the games with sign-ups are a little cheesy. We can’t just make a game called “Count to a million!” (without a signup?)..

Edit: I think people love little silly games like that rather than well-thought of games. I even find them more appealing; these games what’s on here are so boring.

Editedit: What I’m asking is if it is allowed to make a “Count to a million” game?

Flag Post

So there is supposedly 20(Games) + 20(Sign-ups) + 3(Forum Help, etc.) = 43 total?

Sign-ups are usually supposed to be closed or at least to become inactive before the next game starts. That’s how it’s been for the most part in OT, so we’re keeping that here. Likely there will still be more active games than a page, or around the same amount, though I don’t see any problem. If you’ve made a good game where people want to participate, it will most likely stay on page 1.

Originally posted by Waffles911:

I think the games with sign-ups are a little cheesy. We can’t just make a game called “Count to a million!” (without a signup?)..

There is no rule on sign-ups; you can make games without sign-ups. Sign-ups are only for games that need sign-ups.

Edit responding to your edit: You can make more silly games, but we try to keep out games that only encourage spam, including “Count to a million” games. You can still make casual games, but we want to avoid games that people will use to increase post count, which will likely happen. We don’t want to see this forum turn into that.

Games like “Kill The Above Image” and so on are fine.

Flag Post

You’re welcome to make a game of your own, Waffles. It can be silly, too. Just not spammy.

It sounds to me like you’d be more interested in the ‘interactive story’ type of game, where there’s a storyteller, and any other people are allowed to make suggestions as to what should happen next in the story or what the characters should do. The storyteller then chooses one of the suggestions and adds to the story, usually with a twist. I’m sure you’re familiar, but if not, take a look at Colonize, Game 3, and What Do You Do? by Nqkoi, for examples.

Edit:

Editedit: What I’m asking is if it is allowed to make a “Count to a million” game?

No, that’s spam. It requires your participants to do nothing but spam.

Flag Post

Colonize and Game 3 looks real fun, but nothing new has happened in them for awhile that I don’t think it’s that alive anymore.
For What Do You Do? I can’t understand it.

So you say that it can’t be spammy? Well so much for my count to a million game.

Thanks though.
I guess I just like crazy, out of control, forum games.

Flag Post

Hmmm… Is this allowed?: I finished my game, I closed Slot 4, then I make another game then taking a different slot suddenly.

Flag Post

Hmmm… Is this allowed?: I finished my game, I closed Slot 4, then I make another game then taking a different slot suddenly.

No.

Read the sign-up sticky’s rules.

Edit: Bah, I read it wrong due to tiredness. Yes, you can take another slot as long as it’s open.

Flag Post

hello :)

i just saw this thread labelled [game related] (and made one myself too) just want to know if its ok?

Flag Post

@pludrpladr

Your [game related] thread is about an exact copy of the other [game related] thread. Even though I’m not sure yet as to how we’re going to handle these if they become numerous, I still think it’d be best if you just delete your thread and ask for help in the original [game related] thread.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gevock:

@pludrpladr

Your [game related] thread is about an exact copy of the other [game related] thread. Even though I’m not sure yet as to how we’re going to handle these if they become numerous, I still think it’d be best if you just delete your thread and ask for help in the original [game related] thread.

ok thanks

Flag Post

I just wonder what Ganon’s up to. think that there’s relatively few mods in comparison to other forums. If it were me, I would have had more mods to help out. Just saying.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BCLEGENDS:

I just wonder what Ganon’s up to. think that there’s relatively few mods in comparison to other forums. If it were me, I would have had more mods to help out. Just saying.

Actually, most forums have 3 or less active moderators. Those forums (such as Kong) that have the admins’ names included in the forum moderator list actually create the illusion that there are more mods moderating than there really are.

Also, to become a forum mod, you usually need to be a chat mod beforehand. I only know 1 or 2 people way back before Kong was super-trafficky that were forum modded without chat mod status.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gevock:
Originally posted by BCLEGENDS:

Actually, most forums have 3 or less active moderators. Those forums (such as Kong) that have the admins’ names included in the forum moderator list actually create the illusion that there are more mods moderating than there really are.

Also, to become a forum mod, you usually need to be a chat mod beforehand. I only know 1 or 2 people way back before Kong was super-trafficky that were forum modded without chat mod status.

un. I was aware of the chat mod —> forum mod thing. Mostly.
deux. I wasn’t asking to become a moderator, if that’s what you were thinking.
trois. This is interesting news… yuz.

Flag Post

deux. I wasn’t asking to become a moderator, if that’s what you were thinking.

Oh don’t worry. I was simply trying to describe the process and why there are so few Forum Mods in the system.

Also, another point is that if there are so many forum mods to a section, quick communication amongst one another can be a bit impossible. I can always find Frog and/or whisper Marh and aC for a speedy response though.

Flag Post

Okay, that makes sense now.