Forum Games Q&A (locked)

345 posts

Flag Post
If you’re coming to this forum, with no idea what ‘forum games’ are, this is probably a good thread for you to read. Here I’ll explain what forums games, the different types of forum games, and everything else you might want to know. So, the big question is:

What are forum games?

“A forum game is a text-based multiplayer game played on an Internet forum. Simple examples include word association, hangman, "Count to a Million …” At least that’s what Google defines a forum game as.

Forum games are text-based games you play over the forums. While pictures and graphics can be involved, it’s fundamentally based off posts made by users.

What are the different types of forum games?

There isn’t any official list of forum games out there, but there are certain types of games that you might see popping up in the forum commonly. These include:

Mafia - In a mafia game, there are two teams. The first group is usually the “mafia”, while the other group is often called the “townspeople” (Note: many of these games will have different labels for the group). The Mafia is generally a smaller group, but unlike the townspeople who are fundamentally clueless, people in the mafia know who everybody in their group is. Meanwhile, the townspeople only know there are a certain amount of people in the mafia, but not who is in which group.

The game is usually set in days in nights. During the nights, the mafia people choose somebody to kill, while at day the townspeople attempt to figure out who is part of the mafia, who they will ultimately vote to kill.

Werewolf - “Werewolf” forum games are a variant of Mafia games. Instead of their being a team of mafia, there is one werewolf. Like in other mafia games, the “townspeople” try to figure out who the werewolf is, while the werewolf kills off townspeople one by one.

Question/Trivia - Question or Trivia games are what they sound like. The set-up is that a person/people ask questions, and the people answering the questions get points for answering them. There are many ways this can be done; asking about images, certain topics ect.

Role-Playing (RP) - In a role-playing forum games, you do exactly what it says: You play a role. Generally in a role-playing forum games or ‘RP’ (you’ll more commonly see it written this way) you play as a specific character with others, and battle in a made up world that the original poster has created. It also often follows some sort of storyline provided by the thread creator, and moved along by game participants.

King of The Hill - A king of the hill game is generally more simple and casual. Instead of having to follow too many rules, the simple purpose of the game is too think a creative way to get somebody off a fictional hill, so you can claim it your own.

Competition/Tournament - In this game multiple people compete by completing certain challenges to advance to the next game. These games often involve flash games, though not exclusively.

Remember:

Use common sense and good judgement when making a game. We do close games that aren't much of games such as "Count to a million", "Rate the.....", etc. Remember, the best way to keep your game open is to keep smart when making it.

Keep your games manageable. Over reaching with unrealistic ideas or not organizing your game enough may cause it to fail. This isn't to say that it should be sadly simple, but remember what you're capable of.

Also note that many games in the games in this forum aren't going to fit exclusively into one of these categories. There will be many game that mix these up, and many others that are something new completely. If you aren't clear how a game works, ask the creator on what you're unclear about.

What does ____ mean?

If you’re wondering what something in a game means, but you’re too embarrassed to ask, this might help you. Here’s a list of some popular terms used in forum games:

Godmoding - When somebody has the ability to modify the game a decide the fate of other players. Usually only game creators are allowed to godmode.
Day/Night - When a game title includes something like “Day 1” or “Night 3”, it’s usually a mafia game. Days and nights are different phases in the game where something happens, depending on the game.
Role - A role is the character you play in a game, usually an RP or mafia. Often the original poster will include the different roles.
Role revealing - This is when somebody reveals the role of themselves or somebody else, usually in a mafia game. This is generally against the rules.
Sign-ups - Threads with a [sign-ups] tag on it are for getting a certain amount of people in their game. If you see one of these, the game is interesting, and you think you can commit to it, go ahead and join!
Replacements - These are people who replace users who sign-up but are inactive.
FGF Short for Forum Games forum, which is where we are right now.

Is there any additional info I should know?

There isn’t anything else worth covering at the time, but if you have any suggestion, make sure send one of the forum mods (Marh, Gevock, Frogmanex or arcaneCoder) a whisper and we’ll see what we can do.

Here are some additional pages you might want to read:

Forum Games Forums Guidelines
FGF Directory
Forum Game - Wikipedia
Game Tips

Flag Post

Since I’ve been thinking of expanding this thread, any suggestions on additions would be appreciated. Thus this thread has been unlocked.
Thanks

Flag Post

Do you mean we can physically post in the thread, now? If so, I’d suggest adding another post in which you explain several genres of RP’s and add the Choose your own adventure type game. Basically what I suggested in my Forum Game Guide Thread. If we shouldn’t post, I’ll just delete this comment.

Flag Post

1) Change “Godmoding” to “Godmodding”
2) Link to my directory 0:)

Flag Post

change “Usually, only game creators are allowed to godmode” to “Usually, only game creators are allowed to godmod

Flag Post

I think the Forum Games Forum is in the wrong bit. This is a Non-gaming forum.

I think it should be moved to the kongregate forum.

If a sign says ‘Keep of the grass.’ You wouldn’t go on the grass.

This is my suggestion.

Flag Post

My suggestion: remove this link from your first post:

And walford, just asking, your suggestion is to remove the Forum Games forum as a whole?

Flag Post

This thread should really be moved to the Games super-forum, since technically it is to do with games.

Flag Post

Add in contest games (i.e. Forum Games’ Best Gamer) and/or metagames (i.e. The Colosseum) and/or decision games (Like Nqkoi1’s old ones)

Flag Post

I’d rather keep Forum Games, Legends and Walford.

Flag Post

We just think it should be moved from the Non-gaming super-forum, as it isn’t technically non-gaming… besides, it’ll get more attention if it’s higher up in the forum listings.

Flag Post

i would add challenge games

like acheive to beleive and kong olympics

Flag Post

This is a Q&A, not a forum directory. Please, do not link AznSensation’s directory, if it was that important, they could just sticky it. I’m not sure I want FGF to be moved to gaming, because it was born in Off-Topic. I dunno, it IS still technically gaming though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dman18:

This is a Q&A, not a forum directory. Please, do not link AznSensation’s directory, if it was that important, they could just sticky it. I’m not sure I want FGF to be moved to gaming, because it was born in Off-Topic. I dunno, it IS still technically gaming though.

You don’t like me, do you.

Flag Post

I’d rather not have the thread be derailed into a discussion about where this forum should be. When the admins put the forum games forum here, they did it because it fit nowhere else. The gaming forum is specific to flash games, video games ect, not the type of gaming that requires an internet forum as the medium.

As for linking to the directory, if you can keep up the updates then perhaps I will in the future, but for now the in-forum links will be specific to stickies.

Flag Post

if i join any ign up, will the point be added, if not, i dont join.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Marh:

I’d rather not have the thread be derailed into a discussion about where this forum should be. When the admins put the forum games forum here, they did it because it fit nowhere else. The gaming forum is specific to flash games, video games ect, not the type of gaming that requires an internet forum as the medium.

As for linking to the directory, if you can keep up the updates then perhaps I will in the future, but for now the in-forum links will be specific to stickies.

make it a sticky, you can do that right?

Flag Post

I believe it is.

Flag Post
Originally posted by mcj17:

Do you see ANYONE getting points?

Flag Post
Originally posted by kashuushian1542:
Originally posted by mcj17:

Do you see ANYONE getting points?

Maybe his vision is going, and he misread posts.

Flag Post

I don’t see why you unlocked the thread to suggestions If you aren’t going to take any suggestions.

Flag Post
Originally posted by randomturtle:

I don’t see why you unlocked the thread to suggestions If you aren’t going to take any suggestions.

random you dont know if he is taking these into consideration or not, and this isnt really a place to take out your anger as criticism, but as, CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, to make it better, not to take out whole chunks and put them back in the way one person wants them, so i think Marh is waiting for people to actually agree on ONE subject and not getting ADHD horded by a bunch of people being selfish about the way they want things to be and…. one more thing…. COMPROMISE

Flag Post

Mods should just do what they think might make an improvement because they have the power they should do thing whether the users like it or not. They accepted game stop to help run the site right?

Flag Post

right and that has almost NO relevance what so ever because kongregate is still its own thing but it is just a PARTNER of gamestop, and also, if a mod were to do what they thought was good for the site then it would have no credibility from the places it does now without the popular support of its followers and allowing for, basically, democracy, where a popular demand is met rather than trying to meet EVERYONES standards and ending up have a VERY BAD site due to corruption.

Flag Post

how do you lock a game so you can start a new one?