Discuss the Sign-ups

29 posts

Flag Post

1. Do you think The Sign-ups thread is needed? Why or why not?
2. Are there any other changes to the sign-ups system you’d like to see?
3. Do you have any suggestions on changes to be made to any of the current stickies?
(optional) 4. If you would like to see the sign-ups sticky abolished, is there any system you’d like to see replace it?

Feel free to include any additional thoughts.

Flag Post

1. Yes, as it provides organization.
2. Personally, I also wish for more slots. I also want to have more than one slot allowed at a time (per person), but that’s a veryyyyy long shot.
3. One of those: READ THIS FIRST kind of things. Like the whole ‘Message to new forum gamers’ kind of topics that float up every few weeks.
4. I think we should be able to do our own sign-up thread, as there are times when you guys are off modding other forums (Which I perfectly understand… we aren’t a very popular forum), and a dispute of sorts comes up.

That’s just my two cents on the matter.

Flag Post

1. I just want to be clear on this. The sign-ups are necessary. The reason for this is that if there are no sign-ups, then newbies come in and make games, but never come back to mod them. Also, with all these threads, there would be a clogging of the front page.
2. I think that slots should automatically close when the game is over. A lot of the time, games will end and the makers will forget to close their slot. Like with empire. It was over for about a week and no-one knew because morrr hadn’t closed it. I would like more slots, but then there would be more slots than topics on the front page and some games would be lost.
3. I’m gonna have to agree with Fog. Definitely a newbie sticky.
4. I think Fog’s suggestion could be resolved by you guys just coming in for about five minutes about twice a week. You could just update that OP with the list of games, and then go on to the other forums. I know that we’re not that big, but five minutes.

Flag Post

Asian Response

1) Yes, the forum games need to be organized
2) 25-30 Slot Availability, KoTH for infinity and no slot since it’s a biggy like legendary said
3) No they’re perfect <3

Flag Post

1. Yes or else will get flooded with a bunch of dumb games
2. We defiantly need more slots and for someone to update it more frequently, there are also some games that are over that are still there, we need someone to watch that
3. You could make my New Forum Gamers forum a sticky

Flag Post

I don’t have that much to say that others haven’t already, but here goes…

Item 1. I believe it is certainly needed. A great deal more chaos could ensue if we didn’t have the sign-ups.
Item 2. It could have sections that in general describe the type of games listed under them. Also, I agree with gandalf that a little bit more attention to the list of games would certainly keep it in better order.
Item 3. We should have a sticky that stands out directly to newcomers. Even just changing the titles of the Q&A and Guidelines stickies would probably work.
Item 4. I think that the current system works, but to improve effeciency sign-ups could be run by forum games, for forum gamers. Not getting too deep into democracy, but maybe every so often a sign-up ‘deputy’, if you will, is elected to compare the game list with the actual thread list and locate any discrepancies.

Flag Post

Here’s my respone.

1. No, because it’s totally confusing when you go for the slot and then a mod goes to change your slot, that you went for in the first place.

2. I would like to see more updates in the sign ups, like every day, instead of weekly or monthly.

3. and 4. Yes, if you abolished the sign ups, I would like to see the rules of forum games forum as a sticky. Plus you could do two games if you wished.

Let me explain to what I mean on question 1, I had slot 10, then a mod (not naming names here) changed it to slot 6, then when closing my game, I had to change it to slot 6 instead of slot 10.

Plus let me explain something else to question 1, when a new person (Newbie) comes to this forum, forum games forum, then people tell this Newbie to sign up on the sign up thread, then they leave and don’t come back because their game is locked. How’s that fair when we want new ideas.

It’s true, we are running out of ideas so we need new blood.

On question 2. I say get rid of closing your game because you could put it in the rules that reserved for lock on the first post you do can close your game down.

Plus there’s a lot of different time zones in the world as well.

Thanks Marh for letting us to discuss the sign ups.

Flag Post

A lot of the time, games will end and the makers will forget to close their slot. Like with empire. It was over for about a week and no-one knew because morrr hadn’t closed it.

I hadn’t forgotten, I just didn’t know how to lock it until someone told me. I thought the Forum mods locked it themselves at first.

Flag Post

Responses to certain points aren’t only responses to that post, but the point itself. So if two people say something similar and I’m responding to one of them, I’m responding to both of you.

No Post Limit for KoTH, because it’s a major attraction to Forum Games
Instead of Post Limit add Time Limits or increase Post Limit and add time limit

I don’t agree with removing the post limit to KoTH simply because it doesn’t seem like a good idea to remove the rules for only a certain type of game. If it attracts people, then somebody can make another when the previous KoTH has ended.

As for increasing the post limit, while it’s pretty large as it is, I suppose it’s worth discussing. It’s already pretty much based on time, 100 is simply the absolute. If a game has been on for way too long but is only at 60 pages, it will likely be closed.

Personally, I also wish for more slots. I also want to have more than one slot allowed at a time (per person), but that’s a veryyyyy long shot.

I’m not sure that would have any positive effect. You can wait to make your next game, and I definitely don’t want the slots being dominated by five or six people.

One of those: READ THIS FIRST kind of things. Like the whole ‘Message to new forum gamers’ kind of topics that float up every few weeks.

The rules sticky already sort of serves as that but we’ll see.

I think that the current system works, but to improve effeciency sign-ups could be run by forum games, for forum gamers. Not getting too deep into democracy, but maybe every so often a sign-up ‘deputy’, if you will, is elected to compare the game list with the actual thread list and locate any discrepancies.

Having a very active forum reg helping out is definitely a possibility. I can’t see that hurting anybody, and it’s definitely something that could be done.

I would like to see more updates in the sign ups, like every day, instead of weekly or monthly.

That’s pretty much my fault. :P I do most of the updating, and often I take too long to get around to doing it.

Let me explain to what I mean on question 1, I had slot 10, then a mod (not naming names here) changed it to slot 6, then when closing my game, I had to change it to slot 6 instead of slot 10.

I really don’t do that unless I really have to, and it’s not very often. If that’s happened to you it’s because of a problem in organization, and it’s definitely not something I try to do.

As for getting rid of the sign-ups altogether, I’ll discuss it. Right now it seems the majority wants to keep it, but that doesn’t mean it will necessarily stay.

Flag Post

we should only have one KoTH game going at a time so in the sign ups we should have one special KoTH slot so there will be one going at all times. anyone who tries to make one out of that slot should be locked, and it has to be an average KoTH (no Tactical KoTH, Ninja KoTH, etc.) NO ONE CAN DO OWN A KOTH FOR TWO TIMES IN A ROW!!! everyone should get a chance to run it.
the page limit should be decided by the 25th page, how long it will be (30-min 100-max) depends on how well the forum is doing, so if someone makes a pretty crappy one, it can end quickly and be replaced with a good such as the one azn is doing right now.

Flag Post

1. Yes, if too many games are running, some might be ignored.
2. More game slots.
3. I’d like to see king of the hill a non-ending game, and it doesn’t have to be run by anyone, so they don’t have to keep the game forever.
4. No..

Flag Post

1. The sign-ups is a vital piece for keeping the flow of games in check.
2. No. If possible, maybe 2-5 more slots would be nice if we experience an influx of players.
3. No. Perfect as is.
4. No. DON’T ABOLISH THE SIGN-UPS. It is vital for the Forum games’ organization.

Flag Post

hey! i havent you seen you in while soundfxman

Flag Post
Originally posted by Marh:

Having a very active forum reg helping out is definitely a possibility. I can’t see that hurting anybody, and it’s definitely something that could be done.

I vote JaumeBG for this. He’s very active, committed, can format things pretty looking, and so on. I know this from personal experience, as I run a blog (http://kongpulse.blogspot.com/) with him helping, and he ALWAYS gets posts up on time, which even I struggle to do (coughcough). But yeah, that’s just my opinion :P

Flag Post

1. Yes, or we will be overrun with games that new forumers won’t mod themself
2. More slots would be nice
3. The rule sticky should change name to “New users, read here” or something
4. no

Flag Post

I agree with selly. JAUME FOR FG REPRESENTATIVE!

Flag Post

I’m on most of the time, but I’ll stick with the majority. I’m on kongregate every single day and first I come to this forum. I’ll be only too pleased to help out.

Maybe JaumeBG and I could do it. If JaumeBG goes away on holiday or something, then I could take over. Plus if two people do it, instead of one person, it would take the pressure away. Just think how Marh’s coping now with the sign ups, plus he’s a mod as well.

Flag Post

1. Sign ups stay for all of the reasons listed above.
2. Not really.
3. pludrpladr took the words right out of my mouth.
4. Nope.

Flag Post

The sign-ups are necessary, but maybe there could be 22 or 23 slots instead of 20 to help Forum Games expand.
By the way Marh, have you ever considered awarding 2 points to someone if they win a game in Forum Games or something like that? Its probably for the admins to decide, but if you like that idea perhaps you could pass it on. Just a thought.

Flag Post

By the way Marh, have you ever considered awarding 2 points to someone if they win a game in Forum Games or something like that? Its probably for the admins to decide, but if you like that idea perhaps you could pass it on. Just a thought.

A decent idea, but then a lot of people would take notice, bringing a lot more people here, which would probably make it hectic. (God, I’m so pessimistic. :P)

Flag Post

An idea for the sign ups, Can we just sign up once instead of doing another one for the game thread? Once we do have the game running, then we could just change the numbers around.

For example:

Slot taken 6

Signups and game www.kongregate.com/forums/36-forum-games/topics/87303 signups

Then when your game starts then just change the number. it could ease the confusion a little. At the moment we have to do three forms. By doing this way then we could keep our sign ups open a little longer.

Flag Post

I suppose that’s a possibility. It makes it a little more difficult for me because I generally just check the most recent posts to see changes that have been made.

That may have its nice points, but I cannot see that happening at all. If you insist I can talk to the admins, but I can almost guarantee it will be a ‘no’.

As for getting a regular to assist us in the sign-ups, nominations aren’t really needed. I don’t even want to get anybody’s hopes up, because I haven’t talked to the other forum mods so far.

Flag Post

1) Using the Sign-Ups is provided for organization of the games, without it the Forum Game Section will implode on itself do to the fact of having to much games. Just provide more slots.

2) Though Sign-Ups make lots of racket.

Flag Post

That may have its nice points, but I cannot see that happening at all. If you insist I can talk to the admins, but I can almost guarantee it will be a ‘no’.

Sure, that’s fair enough, but what are the cons that you are thinking of? Is it that it is easier to cheat to win in Forum Games, or that points should only be gained in certain ways to keep their prestige, or any other reason?

Flag Post

ummmm yeah you probably should talk to the other mods………….