Incredi-puzzles[No sign-ups]

105 posts

Flag Post

R4L

Flag Post

Okay, this game is kind of like the riddle game. But way more intense. Info: 1. I will be the only one posting riddles. 2. The riddles will be HARD. 3. An archive will be kept of who won each puzzle. That’s how hard they are. 4. If no answer is found in 3 days, a new riddle will be posted. 5. Hints will be given every twenty-four hours if deemed necessary.
So, the first puzzle. Once upon a time, in a far away land, there was a hopelessly broke college student. Hardly uncommon, but pitiable nonetheless. This college student was being given money by his parents, but he hadn’t anticipated how much heavy drugs cost. So he needed money for room and board. Unfortunately, he had waited until the last minute to ask for more money, so he needed it ASAP. Snail mail wouldn’t do. However, he lived before the time of telephones, so the only option was a telegram. The catch was, he only had enough money for three words to be sent. However, through freak chance, he was able to get across how much money he needed, the breakdown of how much was for what, and the fact that he needed money in this succinct message:
SEND
+MORE
-——-
MONEY
How much money did he need? And yes, all of my riddles will be google-proof.

Flag Post

Winner archive:
More money: sellyme
The magnets: sellyme

Flag Post

I will sign up.

I mean He need more money.

Flag Post

What? Your answer doesn’t make sense. Also, no sign-ups. Also, there is a real answer to this. Really. As in, a dollar amount. And guys, don’t be selfish. Collaborate. If you figure a small part of the puzzle out, go ahead and post it to see if someone else can figure out the rest.

Flag Post

I think its something with the S and the + maybe making a $ Look alike?

Flag Post

No. I’m telling you, there’s no “trick”. It’s purely mathematical.

Flag Post

I think I get it.

SEND
+MORE
-——
MONEY

=

+1315184
_____
MONEY

(Money doesn’t give the correct result.)

Flag Post

Nope. Like I said, it’s purely mathematical. No code. Well, actually, the only way you’ll get it right is if you treat it as a code, but it’s not a code that has one drop of logic behind it. Meaning, all the E’s stand for the same number, but that number makes no sense in relation to the letter E.

Flag Post

So I’m on the right track?

Flag Post

No. What math textbook did you use in middle school? I used Saxon Math, and it had a few problems where they would give you a problem like this:
9_
+__3
-——
___6
Not even sure if that is solvable, but you get the point right? You have to fill in the blanks. This is like that, but with all blanks, and also, once you figure out one digit, you know a couple other digits too. I will give you one hint. Each letter corresponds to exactly one digit.

Flag Post

So the letters = numbers is wrong? :/

Flag Post

letters = numbers is correct, they just all happen to equal one digit numbers. Also, two different letters may or may not equal the same number. example: M and O could both equal two.

Flag Post

I say it’s 10111.

Flag Post

How did you come up with that? Something to do with binary? And…….. I screwed up. Actually, the puzzle is only solvable if you assume that no two letters mean the same number. Sorry about that.

Flag Post

Well now you tell me

When assuming pretty much everything is 9, 1 or 0 it doesn’t have a definite answer, that’s what

Flag Post

Hmm…$14,036?

Flag Post

Nope. Post your logic, though.

Flag Post

Well, I didn’t assume that each letter was a different number, so there went my logic.

But anyway, I took the letters and changed them to the numbers on a keypad, as on a phone, and added them together.

SEND (7,363)
+MORE (6,673)

=$14,036

Flag Post

Yeah, but I already A. Said that there was no “trick” and B. Said that there were no phones at the time, so how would they decode it? Also, I did this with my friend, so I now know it’s solvable by people who aren’t 14 but going to college just because they can.

Flag Post

He needs $10,652.

+1865
_______

Flag Post

That’s correct, but tell everyone how you got it. By the way, the other puzzles will be a little easier than that one. Next puzzle: On a table are two iron rods- one purple, one green. The only difference between them besides the color is that one is a magnet. Their weight, size, and feel are identical. Also on the table are:

• A glass of water
  • A 5 1/4" floppy disk
  • A spool of thread

Assuming you only have the above mentioned items to work with, what is the easiest method to determine which rod is the magnet?

Flag Post

Take the iron rods and tap them together. the magnetic one should stick to the other one because iron is magnetic.

Flag Post

Hm

I’d get the thread wet, then hang it from my hand and use my other hand to move one of the rods close. IIRC, wet thread is affected by magnets, due to water being polar and thread being light, so it should move towards the rod if it’s the magnetic one.

Flag Post

WCD, how would you know which one is magnetic though? And Minn, A. Water is polar in a totally different way than a magnet is polar. B. A normal bar magnet is not nearly that strong and C. That’s hardly the easiest way.