[Game-related] Seven Tips on Making a Competition

8 posts

Flag Post

Hello everyone! Due to a inspiring request by Fogfun in the Master FGF Thread (see the bottom of the page), I’ve decided to make a guide on making competitions. Here we go!

Making a Competition

1. Start planning early enough.
Follow this rule, whenever you’re making a competition. Start planning the competition early enough; how many people can enter, what games to choose, do you need a spreadsheeter, et cetera. Instead of throwing a fail competition which wasn’t planned at all to the Forum Games Forum, you follow this rule and the competition can work out just fine.

2. Choose skill-based games.
This is an important rule as well. If you want to make a good competition and not have half competitors rage-quit due to a game based on good luck, choose skill-based games, such as Achievement Unlocked, Particles or Breach’s survival mode. And these are just examples, random examples. There are endless choices!

3. Have a plan B.
“Ohmygosh ohmygosh what am I gonna do my competition is failing because I can’t find a good game!?” Always, always have a plan B for games. What if everyone gets zero deaths on Run Elephant Run’s Insane mode? Have a new game! Just don’t freak out and start running around screaming crazily.

4. List scores.
How will you know who gets eliminated from the contest, if you don’t list scores? Use Google Docs, a forum post or anything, but list the scores so that the ‘public’ can see it. List of competitors, their scores and a ‘red line’. The person ending in the bottom of the with his/her score, under the red line, is eliminated.

5. Take it easy and be nice to the competitors.
This is a little complicated one. First, don’t be rude or mean if a picture posted doesn’t go with the rules. For example, if the pic doesn’t have a green plug, you can say: “I’m sorry, but your picture didn’t have a green or a yellow plug. Usually, I wouldn’t accept this, but because this competition is so small, I can accept it. Just remember to have the green plug in your later pics, will you? :)” And post a song, a little story about the game or anything else, like a pic of a furry goat with your round starting post. That’ll make everyone smile, I bet.

6. Be an active host.
This is a very simple rule. Be an active host and this means that you post rounds in about the time you promised to end the round, accept scores actively as they are posted, update the spreadsheet and do all kinds of other host stuff as well and still keep up with your schoolwork. Not that hard, I’ve done it.

7. Listen to your players’ wishes.
Made one competition already? And your players liked it? Listen to their wishes and go make a new one already. And that one can be even more epic if you continue on with these tips!

If you have something to add here, or you just want to comment, feel free to do so. I’ll happy to have any kind of feedback; positive, negative or neutral.

Have a nice beginning of June ’11, everyone! -Bluji

Flag Post

Hmm, nice guide! I approve, even though I probably won’t ever make a gaming competition :P. But this will be useful to a lot of people. I especially love the later points, which are often overlooked. Overall, I rate this guide 9/10! :D

Flag Post

Looks pretty good! I’m glad someone took up my suggestion. Thanks for putting the time in to make this Bluji!

Flag Post

“If you follow this rule instead of throwing a competition with no planning onto the Forum Games Forum, it will most likely fail.”

Lol’d.

Also, I thought these were inferred. You didn’t really put any tips one couldn’t have thought of using in half a second. Usually, I wouldn’t accept this, but since this forum is so small, I can ramble on. Just remember to post better guides in your later topics, will you? :)

Bazinga!

Flag Post

Very good guide.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ghostreconz:

“If you follow this rule instead of throwing a competition with no planning onto the Forum Games Forum, it will most likely fail.”

Lol’d.

Also, I thought these were inferred. You didn’t really put any tips one could’ve thought of using in half a second. Usually, I wouldn’t accept this, but since this forum is so small, I can ramble on. Just remember to post better guides in your later topics, will you? :)

Bazinga!

So you mean to say that all his tip were well thought out? Look, if you’re going to be a Grammar Nazi, don’t be a hypocrite.

Also,

Usually, I wouldn’t accept this, but since this forum is so small, I can ramble on. Just remember to post better guides in your later topics, will you? :)

Look, not trying to be a dick, but everyone else thinks this is a good guide. I don’t see you making any such topics, so who are you to claim whether or not you would accept this?

And you have to realize, while some of the things Bluji posted are elementary (Be active, Listen to your players, etc.), they are still ignored dozens of times. As such, they still constitute mentioning whenever possible.

Flag Post

Fixed the thing Ghost pointed out. The wording is much better now.

Flag Post

Nice, very good. I think being an active host applies to all games you’re hosting. The plan B bit applies to all games as well.