Vanilla Mafia [GAME OVER] (locked)

372 posts

Flag Post

Introduction

Wow, it’s been a while since I made a Mafia. Or any thread, really. Yeah, Strawberry Mafia wasn’t the last delicious Mafia, despite what Ocelot said. Chocolate Mafia failed, and was sort of all-rounded. Mint Mafia succeeded due to a lucky early-game victory. Strawberry Mafia failed. The others were somewhat complicated, but this one takes simplicity to the extreme. There are no special abilities. There is no story. There are no NKs. There are no nights. Just pure, unbridled paranoia.

Win Conditions

Town: Kill all Mafia.
Mafia: Have numbers equal to those of the Town.

Notes

Now, since some people on this Forum seem to be woefully inept at Mafiae, let me say a few things. If you feel you’re ‘SO PR0 AND L33T OLOLOLOLOLO’, feel free to skip over this section.

Firstly, you don’t vote someone ‘just because’. You’re supposed to pick apart the flaws in everything they say, and make sure they’re evil (if you’re Town) or incriminate them (if you’re Mafia).

Secondly, give your reasons when you say something. You’re trying to convince people that this person is evil and must be killed to death. It’s not a matter of ‘Oh, this person is mildly suspicious, and I feel like pointing this out by trying to kill them.’ If you vote for someone, you are trying to get this person eliminated, and you have to go at it with everything you have. Though, if you’re too aggressive, some people may accuse you of being the Mafia.

Thirdly, do not use your vote unless you’re sure you want to kill this person to death. The Mafia can mostly disregard this section, since they just have to not kill their teammates, whom they know. If you want to pressure someone, yes, a vote sometimes works. However, if you’re not trying to kill them or at least put pressure on them, do not vote them. If you only want to mark that they’re suspicious, and put a minor amount of pressure on them, use a FoS (Finger of Suspicion).

Fourth, Mafiae can be either active or passive. In the former case, what you have to watch out for is people aggressively jumping on everyone they see. In the latter, you have to watch for people who don’t talk at all, or worse, people who vote without contributing to discussion. Granted, sometimes everything has been said, but you should still be wary.

Fifth, the defender is not always guilty. Sometimes a VI (Village Idiot) gets attacked by an overzealous Townie, or a Mafia. Make sure to always examine the attackers as well, but not to the point where you automatically insist that any attackers are evil.

Sixth, someone who votes for a Mafia is not always a Townie. Sometimes Mafia vote for their own in order to pretend to be Town.

Seventh, inactive people can sometimes be ‘passive’ Mafiae. Therefore, INACTIVES ARE EVIL AND SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE.

Eighth, if you are ever in possession of a role where you know your teammates, PM THEM LIKE CRAZY. But seriously, you should discuss everything, anyway.

Guidelines

This section is intended for newbies, more likely than not.

INACTIVES ARE EVIL AND SHOULD BE BURNED AT THE STAKE.

All Kong rules apply.

I also request that you bold all votes or FoSes. I, as the host, need to see the former-though I’ll probably read through everything anyway-and it’s useful if other players can see what you’re doing.

If you’re new to Mafia (or you’re reading this section because you have a strange compulsion to read everything), then a Mafia is a party game. The rules between each differ-It has many variants-But this one is particularly simple, and utilises only the most basic rules. There are two teams, the Mafia and the Town. Players sign up, and are randomly assigned a side (and role, in some Mafia) by the Host. The Mafia usually know each other, the Town don’t. Once every ‘Day’ (in-game phases), a lynch is held. All the players vote for whoever they think is on the other team, and the one with the most votes gets eliminated from the game. When Day phases end, most Mafiae have ‘Night’ phases (this one doesn’t), where those assigned ‘roles’ with special abilities get to use those abilities. The Mafia can usually also eliminate one player per Night, but this game lacks that functionality.

Glossary

Mafia: A type of party game. Namely, this. Also, the team that is smaller and knows each other in a Mafia game.
Town: The large side that does not know each other in a Mafia game.
Host: The person who runs the game.
Day: The phase in a Mafia in which people vote, and occasionally, perform actions.
Night: The phase in a Mafia in which people (usually) use actions.
Lynch: Elimination of players via gaining the most votes during the day.
FoS: Acronym for ‘Finger of Suspicion’. Means you find a person suspicious.
HoS: Initialism for ‘Hand of Suspicion’. Means you’re saying ’He’s either the bad guy, or I am!’
NK: An intialism for ‘Nightkill’. The elimination of a player via an ability during the Night phase, or the actual ability itself that performs the aforementioned effect.
DK: An intialism for ‘Daykill’. The elimination of a player via an ability during the Day phase, or the actual ability itself that performs the aforementioned effect.
RNG: An initalism for ‘Random Number Generator’, or ‘Random Number God’. In a Mafia-specific context, it means to randomly pick someone to vote.
Scum: Mafia-sided player.
VI: An initialism for ‘Village Idiot’. A Town-sided player that acts in a manner that hurts their team.
SI: An initialism for ‘Scum Idiot’. A Mafia-sided player that acts in a manner that hurts their team.
Bandwagon: A large amount of votes on someone because someone else voted them.
Hammer: A very quick bandwagon, usually orchestrated by the Mafia.

If there’s anything I really need to add, please, do tell.

Flag Post

There’re fifteen spots- Twelve Townies, Three Mafiae.

1. Bluji
2. Myhome
3. SamsterSamster
4. Gaminguru
5. N1NjA546
6. ocelot
7. MysteryMason
8. dreamsdragon1998
9. TofuTaco
10. devourer359
11. tttttt
12. Vara
13. Helltank
14. Shandys
15. Kingzak13

Flag Post

This reserve has been edited, therefore no ‘reserve edit’ ninjas.

Flag Post

presign

Flag Post
Originally posted by myhome16:

presign

[Signs are technically already open]

Flag Post
Originally posted by Knoob85687:

Introduction

There are no NKs.

How does the game progress in favor of mafia then?

Flag Post

Introduction

There are no NKs.

How does the game progress in favor of mafia then?

[Voting]

[Lots and lots of voting]

Flag Post

SIGN

Flag Post

That’s not how mafiae work, is it? The vanilla kind of mafia can be won by mafia because they can NK a townie each night – and because they know each other, too.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Minnakht:

That’s not how mafiae work, is it? The vanilla kind of mafia can be won by mafia because they can NK a townie each night – and because they know each other, too.

[The latter applies. But they don’t actually need an NK to win, because they are capable of influencing Townie vote.]

Flag Post

(or you’re reading this section because you have a strange compulsion to read everything)

What is this supposed to mean?
I don’t have a cumpulsion to read everything!
I am also not new.
I DO NOT HAVE A CUMPULSION TO READ EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
Wait, what?

Flag Post

sign

Flag Post

(or you’re reading this section because you have a strange compulsion to read everything)

What is this supposed to mean?
I don’t have a cumpulsion to read everything!
I am also not new.
I DO NOT HAVE A CUMPULSION TO READ EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!
Wait, what?

[Snark]

Flag Post

I sign.

Flag Post

Maybe we can have some skilled mafia play rather than the usual random lynching and role dickery. I’m looking forwards to some good scum-hunting, either that or town-telling if I come out as maf.

Sign.

Flag Post

Sign.

Flag Post

[There’re no NKs precisely so this is all skill.]

[The better players won’t be NK’d right away, meaning the newer players (if any) who are Town-sided can learn and also have a chance at winning. This also helps the Town-sided old players. The Mafia need more skill than usual, but the Mafia usually wins due to their tendacies of coasting along.]

Flag Post

[The better players won’t be NK’d right away, meaning the newer players (if any) who are Town-sided can learn and also have a chance at winning. This also helps the Town-sided old players. The Mafia need more skill than usual, but the Mafia usually wins due to their tendacies of coasting along.]

[If all the skilled players aren’t killed straight away maybe it will go differently.]

Flag Post
Originally posted by ocelot:

[If all the skilled players aren’t killed straight away maybe it will go differently.]

[’Ndeed.]

Flag Post

Sign.

Flag Post

this is different

I sign

Flag Post
Originally posted by TofuTaco:

this is different

I sign

This isn’t different, it’s basically the most simple of simple.
But if by different you mean from the usual mafias Kong runs, yea it is.

Flag Post

this is different

I sign

[Smirkyfaic]

this is different

I sign

This isn’t different, it’s basically the most simple of simple.
But if by different you mean from the usual mafias Kong runs, yea it is.

[Oh, Hell yes. I ran this because everyone else is running the most harebrained ideas ever. This is as simple as possible so that it can be played like an actual Mafia.]

Flag Post

My one was designed to fulfill full trolltastic potential.

Flag Post

My one was designed to fulfill full trolltastic potential.

[Because you’re an absolute bastard, yes.]