[SIGNUPS] [RP] Incarnatum Mȳthologiae [ALWAYS OPEN] page 7

599 posts

Flag Post

A few things:

Originally posted by Pulsaris:

[Well, actually, what is the technology level of the world?]

It’s pretty highly variable. Magus Mechanicle has pretty much modern-level technology, though it’s riddled with religious indoctrination and censorship and all that. More civilized parts of the world, like Utopia, have close to modern-level technology. The less civilized parts range from medieval to stone age. In some secret parts of the world, however, the technology may be downright futuristic. Oh, and all technology is powered by magic or creature abilities.

Regarding the “Scorcher” superweapon in Pulsaris’s post… There exist weapons of mass destruction that can wipe out a city in one shot, yes. But each of those weapons should only be able to fire once, at most twice, before being unusable, for the purposes of game balance. And they should be extremely difficult and energy-consuming to build, requiring the power input from many thousands of powerful mages. Even nukes in real life can only do so much.

Players are not allowed to write flashbacks that go back to just when polymorph was invented. Something important happened at that time, but I’m keeping it a secret for now. Flashbacks can go back to as early as at least a decade after polymorph was invented.

Flag Post

{ Too many people are at the shop now; I don’t know who the Faceless Man is talking to now, nor who is saying what to who. I’m lost now. }

Flag Post

I’d think that the Faceless Man is talking to Cogito Ergo Sum, and Nimbus was just confused.

Flag Post

Regarding the “Scorcher” superweapon in Pulsaris’s post… There exist weapons of mass destruction that can wipe out a city in one shot, yes. But each of those weapons should only be able to fire once, at most twice, before being unusable, for the purposes of game balance.

Personally, I wouldn’t say they become unusable after a couple of shots… with regards to superweapons, and the way I feel they should work in the context of this game, I’d say they could be one- or two-shot weapons, like magic nukes, but that the majority of them should have unlimited uses, except with a massive charge time between shots – for instance, a day of collecting ambient magic from miles around. But also that player characters can’t normally obtain such powerful weapons for personal use due to their rarity and (in most cases) huge size; presumably, they’d have to request it from you, to be granted on a temporary or permanent basis (if at all) at your discretion based on whatever factors you feel are necessary.

Flag Post

Personally, I wouldn’t say they become unusable after a couple of shots…

I meant unusable during this current battle, as you won’t get to recharge the weapon unless you survive.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

Personally, I wouldn’t say they become unusable after a couple of shots…

I meant unusable during this current battle, as you won’t get to recharge the weapon unless you survive.

Oh, okay. Yeah, that’s much more reasonable. M’yes. Incidentally, how large is the Scorcher, Pulsaris?

Flag Post

Well, the weapon doesn’t have to be that particularly large, as real-life nukes aren’t large at all. All that matters is the extremely long recharge.

Also, a reminder that in Utopia, any overt actions against harmonious coexistence will result in you being unceremoniously dropped to the ground many kilometers below. So don’t do it too openly, guys.

And who wants to interact with Christopher? I promise that he won’t kill anyone in a fit of rage unless you provoke him.

Flag Post

And who wants to interact with Christopher? I promise that he won’t kill anyone in a fit of rage unless you provoke him.

If I can post in time, I’ll probably start out there.

Flag Post

Also, another thing. If anyone is wondering… All Shifters have shapeshifting baggage in the form of their own internal energy reserves. So if you’re a person that turns into a giant 3 meter tall stone golem, all the extra mass is created from your magic. If you’re a person that turns into something tiny, the mass that you lose are converted into energy. Usually, even when you’re exhausted, you should still have at least enough energy to freely change between forms, but extreme exhaustion or energy drain may change that.

Flag Post

{ Oooh. Cool. So you save energy by going small. Makes sense, I guess. }

{ Cogito better go with Faceless so I can wake up. }

{ I forgot to make a weapon on my profile! I could’ve had a scythe… v_v }

Flag Post

One thing to clarify. I have stated that my role is 966-year-old. So when polymorph is invented, he was not there yet! My flashbacks are like just 900 years ago.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pulsaris:

One thing to clarify. I have stated that my role is 966-year-old. So when polymorph is invented, he was not there yet! My flashbacks are like just 900 years ago.

I never said that there was anything wrong with your flashbacks. I was just telling all the players in general that any time earlier than 1000 years is off-limits, just so that they won’t try something like that in the future. I don’t want them to waste a bunch of effort writing up a flashback only for all of it to be invalidated.

Flag Post

Three more things.

1. Despite having very high altitudes in the air, the Utopian floating cities are quite warm, being surrounded by magic that keeps the air warm. Water and other natural resources are transported into them via portals.

2. Unless otherwise noted, assume that the astronomy in the Worldsphere are the same as that of real life. There is a Sun, a Moon, and a bunch of other planets named after deities in mythology.

3. Every Magus Mechanicle member has the religion’s symbol magically tattooed on a body part of their choosing, received during their rites of initiation. This will become very important later on.

Flag Post

Primary name:Arcax
Other Names:N/A
Class:Beast
Species:Arachnian(Basically, human/spider hybrids.)
Human Appearance:N/A
True Appearance:The body of a spider with a human torso and head on one end. He has six thin spiderlike legs and four arms. His upper pair of arms are more like a human’s, while the lower pair have sharp claws. His skin is a dark purple with a red five point star on his spider body section. He also has 8 eyes and lacks any facial or head hair. He stands at 3 feet tall, though he would be 5’7 if he stood on his hind legs.
Personality:Hyperactive, often talks very quickly and a lot, which a lot of people find rather irritating. Unlike the rest of his race, he lacks the aversion to bright lights.
Skills:Good eyesight, fast runner, and a good climber.
Spells and abilities:
Basic Abilities:
Venom:Naturally produces a light poison that coats Arcax’s talons, known to cause paralysis over an extended period of time.
Silk:Arcax is capable of creating a strong yet light silklike material.
Advanced Abilities:
Observant:Arcax is extremely observant, going beyond the good eyesight common amongst his species. He is capable of reading peoples emotions and feelings through their tone and expressions. He also tends to see small details that most people miss and is even observant to the point of being able to predic people’s movments, though he can only tell what they will do just before they do it.
Injection:In several places on his lower arms are small sacks containing a more concentrated version of the vemon that coats his claws. Should he stab someone with his claws, Arcax can inject the venom from the sacks so long as his claws remain in the victim of around 4 seconds, the venom can be injected directly into the victim, causing paralysis in a minutes rather than hours and is even lethal if injected into the correct area. On top of paralysis, it will immediately cause the victim to feel tired and weaker.
Magical Reflection:Arcax has a strange adaptations to magic. Whenever he is attacked with magic, a small portion of the attack is sent back in the general direction of the caster. While the damage reflected is quite small compared to the damage recieved, it still means that the caster must damage themselves to attack him with magic. In order to do so, though, he must use his own energy, and particularly strong attacks can simply bypass the reflection all togeather.
Extreme Reflexes:In combat, Arcax can change from his normal self, which is talkative and irritating, to a cold calculating enemy. To him, time effectively slows down. Attacks that would normally take a second or two now appear to take closer to seven or eight seconds. To his enemies, it looks like Arcax just got a whole lot faster. This level of focus though is straining for him, and he finds himself tired after extended periods, so he saves it for special occasions during combat.
Possesions:Nothing important.
Faction:Neutral
Biography:Arcax grew up in one of the small groups of Arachnians that live in a more forested region. It was apparent from a young age that he was different from the other arachnians. He completely lacked the aversion to light the was present in almost everyone else in his race. He didn’t have many friends, and most people found him just irritating to be around, not that he did that on purpose. At it turns out, some people find a combination of curiosity, observance, and issues not thinking out loud to be irritating. Luckily for him, the other Arachnians are willing to put up with him, and he still lives with his little clan in the forests.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blood_Shadow:

Three more things.

1. Despite having very high altitudes in the air, the Utopian floating cities are quite warm, being surrounded by magic that keeps the air warm. Water and other natural resources are transported into them via portals.

2. Unless otherwise noted, assume that the astronomy in the Worldsphere are the same as that of real life. There is a Sun, a Moon, and a bunch of other planets named after deities in mythology.

3. Every Magus Mechanicle member has the religion’s symbol magically tattooed on a body part of their choosing, received during their rites of initiation. This will become very important later on.

Can you go into details of the relationship of the Oversphere and the Worldsphere? There are portals between them, so some people is working (eg. mining) for Utopia at the ground?

Flag Post

Magic reflection is fine, except that many magic users are unharmed by their own attacks. If you want to ensure that the reflected portion of the spell is capable of harming the original caster, your ability should mix some of your own energy into the reflected portion. Also, the reflected portion of a spell shouldn’t automatically seek its original caster. And it may be possible to overload the reflection temporarily with an extremely powerful attack; recovering the reflection requires energy. But other than those, it’s fine.

Can you go into details of the relationship of the Oversphere and the Worldsphere? There are portals between them, so some people is working (eg. mining) for Utopia at the ground?

I can’t anticipate everything that you might want to know, so I can do little more than answer your questions. Yes, there are people working for Utopia at ground level.

Flag Post

Okay, I added those two bits and changed it so that the magic is sent to the general area that it came from rather than the caster. I’ll finish the bio asap.

Flag Post

If I edit my post, I can’t put quotation marks at the beginning of a paragraph. It sucks.

Flag Post

and a bunch of other planets named after deities in mythology.

And these deities are :D?

If I edit my post, I can’t put quotation marks at the beginning of a paragraph. It sucks.

Always leave a space after paragraphs that end with quotation marks, and see if that helps.

Flag Post

And these deities are :D?

Purely mythological figures that don’t exist. I implied that they are the deities of Roman mythology, like how real life planets are named, though obviously it wouldn’t be Rome but rather some Worldsphere equivalent.

Flag Post

The planets aren’t quite needed, unless the technology level allow interplanetary travels.

[It’d very fun to mix Star Wars with Lord of the Rings.]

Also, can I introduce magic metals, like mithril?

[Wootz steel is a name for steel with metallic carbides in it. It’s a mundane material found in our real world.]

Flag Post

The planets aren’t quite needed, unless the technology level allow interplanetary travels.

The planets are needed because I will be naming a series of characters after the planets. From her introductory post, Rosalyn’s former name was Synthesis Spawn No. 2 – “Mercury”.

Also, can I introduce magic metals, like mithril?

Sure, as long as the properties of those metals don’t break any rules.

Wootz steel is a name for steel with metallic carbides in it. It’s a mundane material found in our real world.

Since I’m using different fundamental laws of physics (ones that still behave similarly to real life on the macroscopic level, until when you take magic into account), Wootz steel will have to be actually made of something else. Of course, its individual components are this universe’s analogues of real-life iron and metallic carbides, but on a subatomic level they aren’t made of iron and carbon atoms (i.e. protons, neutrons, electrons).

Flag Post

[And here it is, the finished Sign.]

[I discussed a lot of this with B_S already, although some of it has yet to be seen by him.]

Primary Name: Rae Grimfeld
Other Names:
Class: Magus
Species: Human
Human Appearance: Rae appears to be a pretty typical Caucasian male of his age, with short-cut brown hair, a height of six feet, and piercing gray eyes. Yay, creativity.
True Appearance: He’s a human.
Personality: In general, Rae is a pretty laid back, if snarky, guy. He typically remains pretty calm and maintains this composure in most situations. Beneath this, however, is a passionate desire for knowledge. Unlike some, he seeks to understand things which confuse him, and believes that ignorance is the reason for all the world’s issues, in some way or another.
Skills: As a man of science, Rae is talented in terms of observation and deduction: applying logic at an above-average level. He’s also quite a skilled tinkerer of sorts, having messed with some pretty advanced technology in the past.

Advanced Spells
Refraction: By refracting the light, and to some degree, the space around an area: Rae is able to make objects inhabiting that area nearly invisible, as well as protect it from spells which he has energy to deflect. To the naked eye, a rather curious effect will be created in which the projectile will appear to split and curve around a subtly rippling area which is the subject of the spell. The toll which this spell takes on Rae is directly proportional to the volume of the area being cloaked.
Telepathic Resistance: Rae’s resilient mind, along with a bit of magic, passively prevents people from breaking into his mind or tracking him telepathically without a much greater amount of effort than would-be typical. Do note that those more powerful than Rae, or those who he allows access to, will still be able to access him telepathically.
Illusion-Step: Rae teleports anywhere such that his entire body remains within his field of control and his body remains intact, liquids will be displaced. In his place, an illusion made of light and kept together by his light magic will be placed. As long as the illusion remains within his field of control, he will be able to move it, although he may not have it talk. If the illusion exits his field of control, it will vanish with only a small flash of light giving it away. See Light Manipulation for detailed information regarding Rae’s field of control.
Light Shell: Rae coats a living creature, himself included, in a shell of solid light with almost no thickness, and which appears simply to be a glistening layer surrounding the subject. This shell of light will deflect all incoming attacks which it has energy left to deflect. Its strength is dictated by the amount of time which Rae spends channeling it into existence. as well as the focus with which he channels it. While in existence, this shell will act as a solid object and as such will vibrate as Rae does, if he uses it on himself. Solid though it may be, it has the positively unique property of absorbing all shock, at the cost of some of its remaining energy.

Basic Spells
Rapid Vibration: With varying levels of concentration, Rae is able to cause all the particles in his body, as well as those in direct contact with him, to vibrate at varying frequencies. This has a plethora of uses: from moving too quickly for a normal person’s eye to see, augmenting his refraction spell, to sanding somebody’s face off with a wooden branch. The fastest Rae can vibrate without hurting himself is just faster than the human-eye can track. This means that, unfortunately, creatures with better sight than humans may be able to see him regardless of his efforts. Additionally, Rae has an increased resistance to friction-related injuries, so vibrating will not injure him as easily as others.
Light Manipulation: By manipulation of the element of Light, Rae is able to conjure light out of thin air as well as make constructs using it. He is also able to manipulate Light which is already in existence, a technique which lead to his development of the Refraction spell, a rather nuanced technique making use of this basic elemental manipulation. Rae can only manipulate Light within a specified field of control determined by his current magical power. As Light grows closer to the edge of his zone of control, his sway over it lessens. His zone of control must be one continuous area, and it may not occupy the same space as any solid object. He may extend his control to most transparent liquids, with greater ease depending on the level of transparency. If the liquid is part of a living being, however, more resistance will be offered.

Possessions
Mana-Batteries (10): Mana-Batteries are made of a transparent synthetic crystal, and are perfectly cylindrical in shape. They have a diameter of roughly 1 inch, and a length of roughly 3 inches. When a being with magical power holds the crystal and channels their magic, the battery begins to fill with their magical-power. When inserted into a piece of magi-tech equipment, or magical technology, outfitted with a proper socket, the magi-tech will draw on this magical power in order to carry out its function. The effect of a piece of magi-tech may vary depending on the type of magic channeled into the battery. In addition to the massive variety of magics which may be channeled into a battery, the caster may channel pure, or arcane, magic into it: allowing for a more versatile battery, although it may not be as effective at any one use. A fully charged Mana-Battery is enough to create a ball of magic roughly 10 feet in diameter if released all at one time.
Magi-Tech Syringe: A syringe developed for use with Mana-Batteries. It is designed to use healing or arcane magic in order to heal the subject of the injection and cure status effects.
Needles (MANY): A simple needle which is compatible with the Magi-Tech Syringe, a sterile needle must always be used to prevent the spread of disease.
Magi-Tech Dagger: A rather ordinary dagger developed for use with Mana-Batteries. It channels the magic of the Mana-Battery, which is preferably not of the healing variety, into the blade in order to apply additional status affects while being used.
Magi-Tech Pistol: A somewhat odd looking pistol with no visible compartment for bullets, and an oddly shaped, cylindrical barrel designed for use with Mana-Batteries. Rather than shoot bullets, the pistol draws on energy from the Mana-Battery to create small projectiles, which are slightly larger than bullets, and propels them in the fashion of a normal pistol at roughly the speed that an arrow might travel from a fully drawn bow, although it is not affected by gravity.

Faction: Magus Mechanicle
Biography: From a young age, Rae showed a bright enthusiasm for science and technology, though technology didn’t exactly flourish in most parts of the world. It is for this reason that he sought to join Magus Mechanicle, regardless of his ideological differences. Frankly, he disagreed fervently with their ideals and believes that the ruthless slaughter and destruction of non-humans is a waste of perfectly good research materials. Though he’s not entirely opposed to killing, he believes that any subject killed should be carefully studied and researched. And of course, live specimens are typically better than dead ones, so he avoids killing whenever possible. So, really, the only reason he joined Magus Mechanicle was for their technology, which he admired greatly as a child, having had only very simple machinery to work with back then. As Rae spent time in this organization, he stumbled upon the existence of a work in progress, one which was supposed to be top-secret, which was meant to do something with the soul. Although not abundantly obvious what the exact function was supposed to be, Rae saw this as the key to unveiling one of the secrets to the world which he and many others, no doubt, had sought after for so long: the essence of the soul. Having already increased his knowledge of technology greatly during his stay, Rae now plans to steal a prototype of this top-secret equipment and cut his ties to the faction.

[Mana-Batteries are standard-issue within Magus Mechanicle.]

Flag Post

Alright, I finished the Bio. I think that is everything.

Flag Post

{ @ B_S: Will Utopia fall in two real life days, or two role playing days? }

{ I know I asked for people to join in on the Coffee Shop, but once Helltank hit me, I was done for, and since whomever tried to join in added little information to what was going on, or did little about it besides appearing, I don’t blame Helltank for refusing to read the posts.* }

{ *Though Helltank should read Shadow-san’s posts. }