A Simple [Game] of Chance (Game Info on First Page)

675 posts

Flag Post

Roll to Lock: 5

This post may be removed by the GM whenever he feels is appropriately, permanently closing the thread to all comers. It’s also devoid of information, so he doesn’t need to worry about losing anything if anyone comes looking for this thread in the future, after it is locked.

Flag Post

Roll to Begin: 5

The game begins with some posts made by the GM, who completely avoids being ninja’d by the other denizens of Kongregate. Furthermore, his very first post becomes reserved for the purposes of thread locking, thereby ensuring the game’s lockability by the GM himself at any point.

Flag Post

So this game revolves around the element of chance. You play as a character in an initially undefined setting, whose every action has a d6 roll attached to it to determine whether it is successful or not. These pages detail the specifics of such action rolls and the rules behind them, but the main thing you need to know about are what individual values for any given roll represent. In short, these are as follows:

1: Epic Fail – Your action is not carried out at all, instead backfiring in a particularly awful manner dependent on the scale of the intended action.
2: Fail – Your action is not carried out, and no further effect is had.
3: Partial Success – Your action is carried out to a less-than-complete degree, that being decided based on how I feel at the time.
4: Success – Your action is carried out successfully, the entirety of its intended effect being fulfilled.
5: Epic Success – Your action is carried out in a spectacular manner, having the highest possible positive effect, and likely adding some flourishes to boot.
6: Overshot – Your action has its intended effect, but the disproportionate amount of effort put in results in additional negative side effects.

So now you know how your character will act based on any given situation. With that in mind…

Flag Post

…we move to building the character you start with. Knowing you Kongregate people, it’s a possibility that you’ll end up going through more than one of these unfortunate buggers before game’s end, since it is entirely possible to die horribly if a particular action Epic Fails. Therefore, the character does not require any great amount of description – just give your PC a name, basic physical description, and starting location, and you’re good to go. Feel free to add backstory if you really want; that being said, here’s a few final hints for the road:

1. Death is a bitch that likes bananas, and no character is immune to it. Yes, your shonen hero or lich will die if you keep rolling 1’s, 2’s and 6’s whilst fighting the demon horde or abnormally tough mercenary, even if they’ve survived flawlessly and become extremely well-developed up to that point, although greater development makes a character less vulnerable to such a fate.

2. You can make new characters whenever you want. This may be what saves your current character from horrific death, if they’re in a tough spot.
2&1/2. With extreme bad luck, it may also be what kills them. Just keep both of those in mind.

3. Your characters do not necessarily have to start as human beings, nor do their fixed traits have to remain the same for the character’s entire lifespan – if a sudden change in, say, species or gender can be justified with, say, a sudden bout of magic and/or science, it will likely be allowed to happen, with a suitably good roll.
3&1/2. That being said, if you attempt something that has previously been noted as impossible or near-impossible, or should otherwise be obviously impossible at that point in time, you will be berated for stupidity, and end up not performing that action (“Roll: X…?” denotes action impossibility, where X is any available die value).

4. You can make new characters within the settings of characters belonging to other people, or have an incumbent character migrate to that setting somehow. This is encouraged, to allow for greater player interactivity.

That all clear? Yes? Then let’s get started.

Flag Post

Name: Gamma
Description: Thin, natural tan, Dark brown hair, Dark brown eyes, basic clothing.

Flag Post

Name: Lordicus Jaskiosus
PD: Muscular, black hair, dark brown eyes, plain clothes

Flag Post

Name: Green
Description: Green hair, Green eyes, Green clothes, Average height, Average weight, White skin.

Flag Post

Gamma
You begin your adventure in a small city. Describe your surroundings in detail if you so wish; otherwise, dictate your first action.

Lordicus Jaskiosus
You begin your adventure in a nondescript jungle. Describe your surroundings in detail if you so wish; otherwise, dictate your first action.

Green
You begin your adventure in a highly eco-friendly city that happens to have an overwhelming supply of green paint. Describe your surroundings in detail if you so wish; otherwise, dictate your first action.

Flag Post

The city is a basic city with a little bit of everything. Though recently there have been a couple of crimes…

gammaflux
I shall explore looking for ways to find money.

Flag Post

Gamma
Roll: 2
Your search proves futile, and you fail to obtain any amount of money whatsoever.

Flag Post

Green
“Ah Green City How I love thee. With you’re Green buildings and Green streets and you’re Green clothes.” What am I saying I hate this color. I mean they paint everything Green in this city. It’s Green Overload! I walk down the street looking for any loose change on the ground.

Flag Post

Aww, I shall try to beg for money on the street.

Flag Post

Name: Barathrum
Description: Blue colour scheme minotaur thing

[I intend to finish this character quickly and just have some unrelated fun at first before making a proper human character and all as the setting becomes more defined]

Flag Post

Name: Withheld
Description: Wears a cloak around all day. Seriously. Comes with a hood. Creepy.

Flag Post

Green
Roll: 6
You succeed in finding a pound coin… which had just been dropped by a relatively large man wearing a tank top. He politely asks for it back whilst slapping his fist into his other palm.

Gamma
Roll: 3
Your begging results in a few looks of pity, and you eventually end up with about fifty pence worth of coins after a few minutes, but nothing really usable to obtain sustenance. Or whatever it is you’re trying to get by begging for cash.

Barathrum
You begin your adventure in a featureless expanse of white nothingness. Describe your surroundings in detail if you so wish; otherwise, dictate your first action.

Withheld
You begin your adventure on an island in the middle of the ocean. Describe your surroundings in detail if you so wish; otherwise, dictate your first action.

Flag Post

gamma
I start looking for some armor to buy.

Flag Post

Barathrum
There’s hexagons on the flat ground, making space ever so slightly more quantized. The distance disappears into the fog in all sides.
Oh. Is that a copse I spy in the distance? I try running at it like a bull.

Flag Post

Green
“Heh…heh… Hereyougoyoumusthavedroppedthisbye!” I give the man his coin and run back the way I came.

Flag Post

Gamma
Roll: 2
You do not succeed in finding any armour shops. Sucks to be you.

Barathrum
Roll: 3
You sprint in the direction of the trees, but quickly run out of breath and are forced to stop in a particularly minotaur-ey fashion.

Green
Roll (Coin Give): 2
In your haste, you fail to let go of the coin, which remains in your hand.
Roll (Run): 6
You run away from the guy, coin still in hand. Shortly, he realises that you have fleeced him, and calls for the people nearby to stop and detain you, running after you himself to make sure.

Flag Post

Ok, forget this. gamma rushes off to a gun store and attempts to rob it with his bare hands while the owners are still inside.

Flag Post

Barathrum
Alright, let’s fight Xeno’s paradox. I try travelling the other half (or however much) of the distance to the copse. The current 32×32 rural map is rural.

Flag Post

Name: Henderson
PD: Old, Caucasian, sunglasses, tan shorts, Hawaiian shirt.

Flag Post

Green
Why is this happening to me?! Is this some sort of cruel joke?! I try to outmaneuver the people chasing me.

Flag Post

Gamma
Roll: 1
You charge into the gun store and call the robbery. You are immediately shot to pieces by the owners and their guns. Smart move, idiot.
Gamma has died. Please create a new character and start over.

Barathrum
Roll (Copse Travel): 5
You make it to the copse, entering the rural location in record time, previous breathlessness apparently completely forgotten. Opposing you are a band of several male humans, members of a band called Zorakarer, the reincarnation of a previous band of theirs called Xenos Paradox.
Roll (Band Fight): 6
The members of the band are easily slaughtered by your mighty, muscular might. However, they do manage to hit you several times with their instruments, with the outcome that you are now bruised all over and somewhat weary.

Henderson
You begin your adventure in a cultist-laden church. Describe your surroundings in detail if you so wish; otherwise, dictate your first action.

Green
Roll: 6
You totally succeed in outmaneuvering most of your chasers, fooling them with the age-old trick of ducking into the nearest alleyway until they pass by. The big guy you stole that cash from is not so easily fooled, and quickly discovers your hiding place, grabbing the nearest solid object, a plank of wood, in preparation for a one-on-one fight of sorts. Hmm.

Flag Post

Henderson
Obviously these people worship Cthulhu. And they stole my garden gnome collection. The church looks like the average church, without the christian iconography. Instead, there are Cthulhu idols and iconography.
I ran to the nearby airbase and hijacked a helicopter that can lift stuff.