Biggest challenges and biggest rewards

12 posts

Flag Post

What are your “biggest challenges and biggest rewards” in making a game? I will use your answers to make my decision as to if I should start making games.

Flag Post

Hah, that’s hilarious.

Flag Post

what do you mean? You own gamesworkshop and I was your friend crys just kidding but why the hostility?

Flag Post

I just think it’s funny.

In my mind, either you are going to be interested in making games – for technical reasons, for artistic reasons, or whatever – or you aren’t. Are games a passion for you? Is it something that you care enough about to devote years of study to learn how to do it well?

Anyway, you have to be prepared for the negativity coming from users as well, when they say your game sucks, is the worst horrible piece of crap, etc., etc., and you spent a lot of time and effort to make it, countless hours testing it, and etc.

So it’s a mixed bag. Programming is a high-paying field, and making games can be rewarding, but not everyone “has what it takes” to do this type of work and I think you should base your decision more on whether you feel passionate about it or not, and whether you can learn the necessary skills to do it.

Flag Post

I am neutral on the topic so I want outside forces. Thank you for constructively criticizing the question.

Flag Post

You have to be passionate about it. If you are not, no amount of outside force will make you keep at it. Since you are ambivalent, I’d say stick with playing games. You’ll probably find it more rewarding. I’m not trying to be hostile, I’m just telling you how I see it.

Flag Post

I do not take it as hostility i thnk you for your opinion.

Flag Post

Well,it depends.If you’re really passionate about it,go for it,even if you’re a first-timer in it…but NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER (x100) make games like MrCreds! :O.

Flag Post

You play a game and then have your own idea for a game, and you can make it come to life :D and it’s great (still surprises me) that people enjoy them.

It’s bad when people ONLY do it for the money, you need some passion in there…

Flag Post

Well… I think that passion isn’t all.

I can tell you I am definitely interested in making games. However, I tend to be my worst critic, thus I never let anyone see anything that I’ve done till I am absolutely satisfied with it. (Or that’s my excuse anyway)

And then on the totally opposite spectrum, we have MrCredsAlex. He’s definitely interested in making games, though I am very skeptical of his motivations. And as you probably can see… the standard isn’t very high… if you can even call that a standard.

So really, are you prepared to nurture your work to a standard that you are happy with? And then somemore? If not, I suggest you tihnk twice.

Flag Post

Sometimes, making games aren’t about money. To me, it’s a fun thing to do. I like to see smiles on everybody,s faces when they’re playing a game. Passion can be addicting or not, it depends on your characteristics.

Flag Post

Yes, it’s far more satisfying to create an excellent game, than to make another soulless movie tie-in.