need help on first project

27 posts

Flag Post

HELP!! i would like to create a game… but it is my first project and i dont know anything!! could someone please just teach me the basics of a game???

PS i dont have an idea for a game but if i used my ideas for this practice, it would make my great ideas look really BAD!!

Please help!!??

Flag Post

I can’t, nor can anyone else can help if you don’t know what you want to make. see, if you want to make a game like pong, you would have scores and simplistic rules. If you wanted to make a 3d shooter that’s different. different people have different specialites.

Flag Post

its not gonna be in 3d im just keepin’ it simple

but if anyone could suggest a simple game that would help

Flag Post

once again, what type/genre of game would it be. You don’t have to go into details, nobody is going to be an idiot and steal the game.

Flag Post

i really dont know but i could use help to find an idea (it only needs to be simple)

Flag Post

2d sidescroller, 2d fighter, bowling…

Flag Post

2d side scroller-fighter, choice of 3 characters, and lets say 10 levels bit like little fighter 2
hows that? i know its small but its my first game and like i said i dont know actionscript.

Flag Post

have n character non-human one human regular and the last a magic person, health bars would be good. have an open environment, secret places… When you get big tell ’em i helped!

Flag Post

yes that quite a good idea, would you to create it with me? you can get me on jmrc94@hotmail.com

Flag Post

lol I say practice the basics

Don’t have to be a game

Exercise 1) create a box. Make it move around with your arrow keys.
Exercise 2) using exercise 1, simulate Jumping, and Gravity.
Exercise 3) Learn about mouse.
Exercise 4) Learn how to make buttons

Eventually you will have enough skills to attempt a simple game.

Flag Post

joshc, a 2D scrolling fighter is far from small mate, that’s a ton of work.
I’d take dazzer’s advice on board, making a game in any language ( Not just Flash ) is one of the hardest things you can do. Learn the basics, as boring as that may be, and then come up with a game you’re panting to do. If you just try and write something for the sheer hell of it then it won’t ever be finished ( Or just as bad, rushed ). If you’re making a game that you really want to play at the end of development, then you’ll be less likely to walk away from it.

Squize.

Flag Post

Dazzer’s right, practice the basics. Make your goal reproducing one type of functionality at a time, not necessarily an entire game.

Flag Post

ok i will try, only one problem…. i dont know actionscript nor its compiler (flash)

Flag Post

Well I guess you’re SOL unless you can hire a programmer or learn it somehow.

Flag Post

whats SOL

Flag Post

I will create it with you we will work things out over e-mail, my email is henrytmyers@gmail.com

Flag Post

whats SOL

S… out of luck.

Flag Post

do you have instant messenging, henry?

Flag Post

Joshe, do you have flash first of all?

Flag Post

whats SOL

S… out of luck.

QTF. lolz.

Anyway, if you’re hard up, I recommend starting say … with Java. Its free. And then when you’re proficient enough at it you can upgrade to the FlexDK. Again free. The problem here is the lack of drawing/animation tools that come with the Flash IDE. But its crap anyway. – sigh – either that I have problems using it XD.

Flag Post

Joshe, do you have flash first of all?

umm……. no

Flag Post

Have you looked into GameMaker? That might be a good place to start. It’s free, doesn’t require you to know any languages to start out, and will teach you the fundamentals of game making. Recreate the classic arcade games (there are plenty of tutorials out there for GameMaker) and learn what is really involved. Then, when you feel comfortable, move on to GameMakers scripting language. This will teach you the basics of programming, and will give you a solid foundation to build upon.

I think it’s a good place to start. Once you feel comfortable with one scripting language, it’s not nearly as big a step to become knowledgeable in another (and to move onto “purer” languages).

Creating games is like learning to swim by being thrown into the deep end. The hardest part is figuring out how not to drown. After that, it’s all just technique.

Flag Post

yes ive tried gamemaker, but i find adding actions to the objects is confusing because there are so many actions that dont make sense.
and then id still have to learn actionscript AND you can’t upload gamemaker files.

Flag Post

joshc, no flash = no animations or game

Flag Post

yes i know but im 13 and dont have $800