Custom Perlin Noise page 3

53 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerber:

What effect are you trying to achieve here?

Whispy gas clouds. And I did manage to cut the time down by pre-masking the area I wanted to fill and only calling perlin noise inside that region. Makes it vary from 230 ms (for a 550×400 area) to 4000 ms (measured in the Flash IDE), but it’s all dependent on how much I need. In the browser that drops to about a quarter of that (total time of <6000 ms for 1100×800). Basically the cloud portion is taking less time than the stars when before it was twice as expensive!

Should be able to do the same thing with the stars too: rather than drop random HSV dots, then multiply the whole image with a huge Perlin noise, do it one pixel at a time: randomize and colorize with a single dot worth of Perlin.

Flag Post

Should be able to do the same thing with the stars too: rather than drop random HSV dots, then multiply the whole image with a huge Perlin noise, do it one pixel at a time: randomize and colorize with a single dot worth of Perlin.

Took me about an hour to get it right, but it works like a charm. 4000 → 200ms per 550×400 area.

Flag Post

ok so at the risk of getting flamed (ive only just heard about the perlin generators) is there a download or someplace i could get a multi colored generator? skyboy mentioned an 8 color … i am not a programmer, and it is beyond my understanding really.. which is a shame (for me) but i need to find a way to make simple multi color noise generations for another project im working on so if anyone has some tips, advice, clues or leads for me i would REALLY really appreciate it. and please, for give my ignorance on this topic, as i said, i just found out what a perlin generator is.. thanks