'Reprisal' - Populous homage released! page 2

50 posts

Flag Post

yeah nice game. I just burned my own headquarters and my blue people decided to leave town and kill the red guys on their own…. but yeah the idea is good along with the art and music too. :)

Flag Post

I’ve not posted for a while here as the dev has ebbed and flowed but at the moment it’s back in full swing so I thought I’d strike while the irons hot!

There’s been some updates made and you should hopefully find the game is running faster thanks to some number crunching. There are now 3 islands in the demo for you to play with. You can play with the most recent demo build on this link:
http://dev.electrolyte.co.uk/flash/pop/yiro9384j01/

Yes you are the blue player, the instructions and tutorial are still on my list of things to do :D

The full dev blog can be followed here (just so I don’t spam this forum with updates)
http://mlmgamedev.tumblr.com

Again thank you for all your comments and feedback.

Flag Post
Originally posted by electrolyte:

On a slightly different point has anyone else had problems with Mouse.hide and FireFox 4? Doesn’t seem to work :S

Where do you hide the mouse?
You can set your own mouse pointer, which works probably more reliable than doing it on your own with Mouse.hide()

Flag Post

Oh, I stopped using a custom mouse pointer a good few months ago :D

Flag Post

Its been really up and down but I’ve added new updates and demo build to Reprisal. Added new terrain types and an extra island to the demo which, if you collect it, has a ‘fire mountain’ power for you to play with :D

You can as normal play the demo through the dev blog here

Also there is a new game play video I’ve just posted on YouTube here should that float your boat.

Flag Post

Looks like the game Populous from Bullfrog, I still remember that game from the Amiga days, good times, I can’t wait to play the full version. Do you have any special features that will be included in this game? Setting an ankh to attack lead to all sorts of problems in Populous.

Flag Post

A tutorial is desperately needed. I have no freaking clue how to do anything.

Flag Post

@MoonlaughMaster I’m thinking about doing something a little left field, making instructions / tutorial as a downloadable PDF booklet, propper old skool :D

Flag Post

@MoonlaughMaster I’m thinking about doing something a little left field, making instructions / tutorial as a downloadable PDF booklet, propper old skool :D

NO.

sending a telegraph to each user would be an improvement over a downloadable PDF.

Flag Post

Ha!! fine

Started working on the CPU player’s A.I for controlling and unleashing their own powers against you. This is going to dramatically ramp up the toughness factor to conquer islands with each CPU player having their own play style. I’m not going to go into too much detail and bore you all with the in’s and out’s but the A.I looks for ‘intresting’ areas of the game area and weighs up what it should do depending on what it finds! Watch this space…

Update made to demo link [v0.5] includes early A.I routines
Play demo v0.5 here

Flag Post

It’s been a few months since I’ve posted here, but thought I’d pop back with what’s been happening seeing as this thread was the starting point for the game I’m writing. I’m happy to say I’ve just got a playable public beta version up and running again for anyone to play here:

http://www.reprisaluniverse.com/beta/

A LOT has changed. I explored path-finding and AI code, different styles of game play, read loads about AS3 while learning it on the job.

This now includes full A* pathfinding which was a pain in the neck to put in. There are 16 levels to play with, improved CPU players etc. Anyway, see what you think, it’s still being completed but it’s getting there. Nearly a year on from when I first started after breaking my jaw!

:D

Flag Post

Oooh, that’s awesome!

It took me a good long while to figure out how to play it though; are you adding a tutorial? I can see it frustrating and deterring a lot of people in its current state – which would be a big shame.

Great work so far

edit – D’oh, looking a few posts up would’ve helped

Flag Post

Thanks!

Yes there is a very early concept of a help in the Pause menu, I must stress this is NO way finished, text is just gibberish at the moment. I’m thinking that on first play this will display to help. Very much making it up as I go along so a really organic process, been struggling with the help section.

Flag Post

@Aaants, just added in game tutorial hand holding! Islands 1 and 2 have these to help introduce game features :D

Flag Post

@Aaants, just added in game tutorial hand holding! Islands 1 and 2 have these to help introduce game features :D

Perfect :)

The overall look and feel of it is amazing; I love all the subtle animations and transitions. I imagine you’ll do well from it!

Flag Post

I launched it! Sorry I forgot to update this thread.

It took nearly a year and I learned loads this being my first game teaching myself AS3 as I went but I think it’s been well worth it. At one point it was even in the top 3 of the weekly comp, but a couple of game released in the last day of the week pipped it at the post.

Thanks again to all the feedback given, you all helped loads!

http://www.kongregate.com/games/electrolyte/reprisal

Flag Post

Actually just looking at the other weekly games, Im disappointed now that this, which isn’t even a game, beat me just because it was released a day before the end of the deadline. :(

http://www.kongregate.com/games/Abigayl/stencyl-2-0-tutorial-1-basics

That has to be a flaw in the rating / weekly / monthly chart system? If I release a game 24hours before the end of the week, get 10 ratings of high stars from my mates, a few hundred plays, that beats a game with tens of thousands of plays with thousands of ratings? Maybe I’m getting the wrong end of the stick as to how the rating / weekly contest works?

Flag Post

At first I was gonna post saying that tutorials can be handy and it’s up to users on how they want to vote. Then I realized the tutorial isn’t even interactive, it’s just 64 still images that you advance by clicking!

Seriously, wat

Flag Post

Hmm yeah i know, would be nice to know if their contest takes into account length of time the game has been released also, oh well.

Flag Post

I think there is some safeguard, you can’t submit a new game five minutes before the deadline and get a single 5 star rating that brings your average to 5.

The bigger problem is just that the average internet surfing Joe is a big idiot, and thus his votes will be idiotic. You should have included zombies and upgrades in your game, you’d have half a start higher in rating for free.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Drakim:

I think there is some safeguard, you can’t submit a new game five minutes before the deadline and get a single 5 star rating that brings your average to 5.

The bigger problem is just that the average internet surfing Joe is a big idiot, and thus his votes will be idiotic. You should have included zombies and upgrades in your game, you’d have half a start higher in rating for free.

IIRC you need 50 individual ratings before you get given an average rating.

Flag Post

turn down the blur a bit :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerber:

turn down the blur a bit :)

better yet, add a scrolly option to turn it down (all the way to off) and up.
So they it may suit anyones blur tastes.

Flag Post

You can turn the blur on and off in the pause menu or options :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Drakim:

The bigger problem is just that the average internet surfing Joe is a big idiot, and thus his votes will be idiotic.

To add to this, the game mechanics of Populous might be too advanced for the average herp-a-derp to just jump into and start playing, which they typically want to do. I’ll admit, the tutorial did feel a bit draining, but that’s only because I’ve already played populous and thus, had a pretty good idea about what to do. Tutorials really need to be skippable.

About the tutorial (the one linked, not the one in Reprisal), those, as well as walkthroughs and such, should be treated like idle games (aren’t they? I thought they were…) in that they aren’t eligible for winning contests and such.