The Flash Language

9 posts

Flag Post

Does Flash have its own language or is it Java?

Flag Post

Flash uses Actionscript. But it can also use other scripts like PHP. It does NOT use java, but I’ve heard AS is like java (though i’ve never used java).

Flag Post

AS is very similar to JavaScript, with some slight differences such as the way you define variables, etc.

Flag Post

Read the sticky :)

Flag Post

I’ve heard that ActionScript is a GREAT way to start to get familiar with other programming languages such as the mentioned above: PHP, Java, Javascript, Delphi(I think), C++, Basic, Pascal(I Think), HTML, XML, CSS etc…

Flag Post

well AS has some similarities with Java for sure and you got the usual C things (loops, for while switch … stuff) like in php and others. But it’s completly different from html css (which are not prog language just presentation) and xml. I think AS is one of the easiest to learn in that list with php

Flag Post

Well CSS, XML, PHP, and HTML aren’t really even close to actionscript, but the other ones are.

Flag Post

CSS is not a programming language.
XML and HTML are Markup languages. Not programming languages.
PHP is a server side scripting language. In fact, Actionscript is also a scripting language. As is Javascript.

Programming Languages are for example: C, C++, Basic, Java, C#, Ruby, Python, Ada, Delphi, Pascal.

So lets not get confused now.

Generally, most people will say it is easier to get started with Java (lets not forget it costs nothing to get started). If you wanted to learn AS… sure, but you’d still need to use flash to get the most out of it, which means, shelling out money.

Actionscript 2 is definately not like java, in terms of concepts. Syntactically, it is similar. But there are very little chances for object orientated concepts like java. For example
This would be completely disallowed in java. (in fact, this is going to be obsolete)

onClipEvent(enterFrame)
{
//blah blah blah
}

Actionscript 3 (ECMA Script) is a completely new beast, and shares many similarities with more “adult” languages. It is leaning more towards object orientated stuff, and packages, imports etc. Therefore, Java programmers will find themselves almost at ease in AS3.
AS3
public function main():returnType
{
private var test:ObjectType = new ObjectType();
}

Java

public returnType main()
{
ObjectType test = new ObjectType();
}

Flag Post

My mistake people. You are all correct. But you must agree that AS is easy to both learn and apply. Well at least for me