Beginner

24 posts

Flag Post

Im a new user of flash i bought the program because it looked really cool.
So i have the program but i don’t know really how to work with it ? were can i learn to do games, animations or movies?

Is it hard to learn to do games?
Because it really seams interesting do them, so plz help me i know nothing about flash!

Thank you

Flag Post

read sticky topics is always a good start :

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/4/topics/89

;)

Flag Post

I’m gonna say, that you can make a simple game or you can make a complex one. It can be anywhere from 100 lines of code to 5,000 lines, depending on the game. You need to know ActionScript to make games… but it helps to start with the basics in Flash like keyframe animation and tweening. I recommend Flash Bible 8, I don’t think that’s mentioned anywhere yet.

Flag Post

were can i learn action script ? is very hard ?
Anyway I’ve learned too do simple animations but, the way i design characters they always seams horrible :P there is any thing i can do ?

By the way, I’ve tried do same examples of action script for game and all of them did not work even wen the source was out of kongregate is that because i have Flash mx 2004?

Flag Post

Actionscript is not hard. Using actionscript well IS hard. I can’t help you out on animations. But there are lots of good sites with tutorials.

www.Kirupa.com

http://www.tutorialized.com/tutorials/Flash/1

http://www.flashperfection.com/

Are just a few.

Flag Post

if i “make” a game through a tutorial i can upload it too Kongregate ?

Flag Post

It’s ok to use a tutorial for help when making a game. If you use just a tutorial and don’t use any of your own ideas you might want to just show it to your friends and not upload it. You could upload it if you really wanted to, but I doubt many users would give it a high rating.

Flag Post

Agreed. You can do it like that, but it would be better if you used the tuto as a base for expanding the game concept, and not as the final product.

Flag Post

bq. if i “make” a game through a tutorial i can upload it too Kongregate ?

The games have to be your property. The quotes you used around the word “make” cause me to wonder if you are really creating the game yourself in any manner, or just modifying some preexisting source. Can you define what you mean more specifically?

I posted more details in your other thread here.

Flag Post

i just did the game copying from the tutorial and the graphics are the same just the colors change. i guess i must learn with tutorials to do one myself!

Flag Post

Ok, then you don’t want to upload it since thats plagiarism. The games have to be your work, not someone else’s that you tweaked.

Flag Post

oh by the way i’ve tried to learn to make same mc move with keys but most tutorials present me this:

onClipEvent (load) {
  speed = 4;
}
onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
  if (Key.isDown(Key.LEFT)) {
    _x -= speed;
  }
if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)) {
  _x += speed;
}
if (Key.isDown(Key.UP)) {
  _y -= speed;
}
if (Key.isDown(Key.DOWN)) {
  _y += speed;
} 

But this didn’t work!!!
So i’ve searched more tutorials and i’ve found this :

onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    if(Key.isDown(38)){
                  this._y-=6
                  }
}
onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    if(Key.isDown(40)){
        this._y+=6
    }
}
onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    if(Key.isDown(39)){
                  this._x+=6
    }
}
onClipEvent(enterFrame){
    if(Key.isDown(37)){
                  this._x-=6
    }
}

I must say that this was the unique tutorial that really worked with my flash version can someone explain me why ?

Flag Post

Instead of explaining line by line, I suggest you get n the habit of reading the flash help. For instance, click on Key.isDown then hit F1 so you can learn about how Key.isDown() works. Do the same for “this”, “_x”, “_y”, “Key.UP”, etc etc, until you learn what they mean. The Flash help is full of information that will get you started. Then when you have a more specific question its easier for people to help.

Flag Post

You can learn Actionscript 2.0 or 1.0 if you press F1 on your keyboard. This’ll bring the Flash help menu. You’ll learn almost everything from Flash there. Trust me

I suggest you start with Vars (variables)

Flag Post

ok but i was just wondering the difference between those too codes and why one worked and other didn’t.
Anyway i will follow your advice and use flash help!

Flag Post

bq. You can learn Actionscript 2.0 or 1.0 if you press F1 on your keyboard. This’ll bring the Flash help menu. You’ll learn almost everything from Flash there. Trust me

Thats what I just said ;)

bq. ok but i was just wondering the difference between those too codes and why one worked and other didn’t.

They are both essentially the same thing. The one on top is better than the bottom one, but it wont work because you are missing a curly brace } at the end. Add one more to it.

Both examples of code are a bit bad overall, but the second one is worse… pretty terrible.

Flag Post

lol you seam know a lot about this, as English is a foreign language to me there are a lot of things i can’t understand at 100% but i understand mainly, anyway i used help, i learned somethings i guess but i was wondering witch help did u refer too ? How do i… or Help ?

Those pieces of code were from a tutorial i was trying to learn making a MC move with the keyboard in this case the arrows ;)

Flag Post

bq. i was wondering witch help did u refer too ?

All of the Flash help. The point was that you should get used to using the Flash help whenever you see code that is new to you.

bq. Those pieces of code were from a tutorial i was trying to learn making a MC move with the keyboard in this case the arrows ;)

Ya, I picked that up ;). You may wish to look for some more updated tutorials. Those are either old or just not very good.

Flag Post

Yes, agreed. These code examples are horrible. You would do better to learn AS 2.0, and I can tell you that any serious programmer would laugh at those code examples (sorry!). Please take a look at my SpaceShip tutorial, it may give you a better idea of how to organize your code in a more object-oriented style.

Flag Post

oops! I’m sorry for saying what you said ;)

Anyways, i suggest you follow everyone’s suggestions above but in case you want some Animation-help go to the www.keyframer forum which will aid you in that part. Its a great community for that matter.

For the coding bit either learn AS 2.0 or 3.0 (Flash CS3 or 9 whatever..) since they are the new versions of AS and you can probably do much more. In the Flash help you’ll also see differences between both languages plus they have a guide to choose between the two.

Apart from that, good luck =) I also suggest that on the week-ends you get comfortable next to your computer and learn for around 2-3 hours (also take breaks and stretch your legs).

Anyways, If I were you I would start with vars like I mentioned above

Flag Post

i tried to learn what a var is, i read all the flash help but i really did not understand what is it for and how can i work with it :)

As i said before English is a foreign language to me and there same things i cannot understand

Flag Post

Don’t they have programming books written in your native language? Honestly, if I were just starting out, I would read a book before doing anything else.

Flag Post

i tried to learn what a var is, i read all the flash help but i really did not understand what is it for and how can i work with it :)

Well if you cannot understand English then the Flash help won’t do you much good, as far as I know they are in English only. Neither would our posts, so you understand to some degree! If you are going to read the help file and try to understand it, the information about variables (vars) is located in the “Learning Action Script 2.0 in Flash” book, under the section “Data and Data Types”.

As for the code samples you posted above, I would guess that the first version is missing the “this.” part before the “_x” and “_y”, as the second version writes it.

In general, “onClipEvent(enterFrame)” should not be declared more than once, but it will still work. It wastes processing time in complex projects however. Also, I much prefer “Key.DOWN” to “37” as it is easier to read and understand when reviewing code.

Flag Post

You can use our blog to find out tutorials that may help http://flashgrounds.blogspot.com/