***Kongregate's "Unite11" Game Blitz Contest [Win a pass to Unite11 Unity Conference]***

19 posts

Flag Post

Kongregate is pleased to announce that it is partnering with Unity to give away three tickets to Unity’s Unite11 conference in San Francisco, Sept 28 – 30. These tickets are valued at $400 each, so it’s a pretty sweet deal. :) To pick who gets the tickets, we’re going to run a game blitz development contest.

Only new games (not previously started) may be entered, and the theme for the contest is “unite”. So, the game has to work in the concept of “unite” somehow into the gameplay. Credit is awarded for creative use of the theme, as well as general quality and fun of the game, the best 3 games will each get one ticket. You may enter multiple games, but only one of your games can win.

As this is a blitz, and because the conference is at the end of September, this is going to be a quick turnaround. All entries must be in by 11:59pm Pacific time on Sept. 21st. Winners will be announced on Sept. 22nd, giving you about a week before the conference to know whether or not you’ll need to purchase a ticket. To enter, upload your Unity game (Flash not accepted) and then post in the entry thread to make it official.

Remember, Kongregate natively supports Unity now, so please just upload the .unity3d file – no iframes should be needed. Also, if you need to request additional storage space beyond 20MB, please post a request in this thread.

If you would like to enter but have no way to use the ticket, please mark your entry as “exhibition” – we’ll judge and comment on it, and we’ll include it in the winner’s list if it wins, but you’ll be competing solely for bragging rights and will make sure the tickets go to developers who will be able to attend the conference.

Best of luck everyone! We look forward to seeing the entries, and hopefully seeing some of you at the event!

Flag Post

aww yea!

ill definitely try to upload a game. i hear unite conferences are pretty ace

Flag Post

I wish unity would just die already… We don’t need the Internet even more divided. I suppose it can stick around until we have molehill though.

Just out of curiosity (since I don’t do unity), could someone win a ticket and sell it?

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

I wish unity would just die already… We don’t need the Internet even more divided. I suppose it can stick around until we have molehill though.

Just out of curiosity (since I don’t do unity), could someone win a ticket and sell it?

Unity will take over when molehill is out since it will have Unity→Flash publishing. Meaning if you are going to make a 3d game you might as well use Unity. :/

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Unity will take over when molehill is out since it will have Unity→Flash publishing. Meaning if you are going to make a 3d game you might as well use Unity. :/

Not gonna happen prettyboy, anymore than Stencyl is gonna replace flash. :O

UnityScript is the most horrible language I’ve ever seen, it’s even worse than AS2. I know there are alternatives but that’s what’s gaining traction, but there is gonna be a pushback once the popularity is actually large enough to grace the higher end developers. Making games in Unity and publishing to flash will become something noobs do before they learn to do it the “proper” way :p

Flag Post

I noticed some stuff about +$1500 and GCD passes in the Monthly/Weekly contests. You should probably make a post about that. (I’m a little confused on the details myself. It says +$1500 on the contest box on the home page, but doesn’t mention it in the details. Likewise, the details mention a GDC pass, and the contest box does not. Are they the same thng, and the $1500 is just the value of the pass or something?)

Edit: Also, I noticed this:

Also with this week’s game contest, you have a chance to win a pass to this year’s Game Developers Conference® Online! The first place winner takes home our cash prize of $250, plus an All Access Pass to GDC Online 2011! Be sure to upload your game between August 1st and 31st to qualify.

It says that it’s part of the weekly contest (this week’s, as well as prize of $250), but then it also says to upload any time NEXT month (between August 1st and 31st to qualify).

Edit2: Likewise, This page and This page make no mention of either.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

Choice and competition is good for everyone, it drives innovation and all that.

UnityScript is the most horrible language I’ve ever seen, it’s even worse than AS2. I know there are alternatives but that’s what’s gaining traction,

I don’t see why UnityScript gaining traction means you can’t still use the alternatives?

Flag Post
Originally posted by BIGMANONCAMPS:

Choice and competition is good for everyone, it drives innovation and all that.

Yay, we get to pick between two closed formats. Aren’t we lucky?

I agree that competition is great, but this is just the wrong direction. You do not compete against a dictator by nominating another dictator. Using plugins for rich web-content was a great mistake, but done is done, flash isn’t going away any time soon, it’s just going to have to remain side by side with HTML5 the next few years. But no way in hell do I support introducing yet another plugin, basically making the same mistake twice.

I don’t see why UnityScript gaining traction means you can’t still use the alternatives?

If UnityScript gains traction, all tutorials for Unity will also be using UnityScript, and all new programmers to Unity will also learn UnityScript. It mirrors the flash AS2/AS3 situation only in this instance AS2 is the growing alternative, something I think we could all agree is a horrible situation.

Flag Post

I hate to break up a good discussion, but please let’s keep this thread on the topic of the contest. You’re welcome to start up another thread to debate the value of various technologies, but this isn’t the place for it (as a matter of fact, I went ahead and created a thread on Flash v Unity v HTML v ??? – please use that). If you’re not developing Unity, fine, but lots of people are and would be interested in this type of contest.

truefire – I’ll check about the weekly/monthly contests. It does sound like something got mixed up in there. Both of those are separate from this one, and I know we’re giving out some GDC passes, but I think there are some errors in the details. I’ll update this post later when I figure out what’s up (after I get to the office).

Edit: Ok, got the scoop on the contests. There was one typo, and a situation where one page was a day out of date. The way it works is that the top 3 winners of the August monthly contest will each get a pass to GDC Online. The September monthly contest is being sponsored by Full-Sail and they’re doubling the top three winners. The “weekly” part was a typo – these are for the monthly contests. Sorry for the confusion!

Flag Post

Can we get the ticket and then sell it?

Flag Post
Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

Can we get the ticket and then sell it?

The goal of the competition is to help some Unity developers get tickets to an awesome event. You have no way to know if you’d be able to sell the ticket, so it might go to waste, and it kinda defeats the purpose of the contest. It’s not explicitly forbidden in the rules, but we’d really prefer to keep it to people who would have a realistic chance of using the ticket.

Flag Post

Okay, I guess I won’t learn unity just so that I can enter the contest.

Flag Post

Kongregate is helping unity gain popularity. Kind of like a sponsorship relation, am I right?

Flag Post

unite is done can we now lock this thread?

Flag Post
Originally posted by lordtom2:

Unite11 is from Sep. 28 to Sep.30

Flag Post
Originally posted by lordtom2:

So… you bump threads where noone has replied for four days just to ask people to lock them?
Quite smart!

Flag Post

Just a reminder that entries are due by Wednesday, midnight. Right now competition is pretty light (i.e. no entries yet!), so you may have a good chance to enter something. At the same time, I want to add that we will not be giving prizes out to non-game or clearly thrown-together entries that attempt to capitalize on the lack of competition. So, please do enter if you have something, but keep in mind that we’re still going to maintain some basic minimum requirements for quality for all winners.

Flag Post

Might I suggest a bit more advertising of this competition next time… didn’t even hear about this until right now from a friend of mine and I am not one to slap together something last minute. If I had known earlier, I might have tried to make something for the competition.

Flag Post

Exhibition Entry:
Reasons: It’s just the sample project modified which makes it completley illegal

So I read some of Orson Scott Card’s Ender series books a while ago. In these books, they have completley cool virtual gunfights in no gravity. So, I thought it would be really neat if someone made a 3D Unity game to simulate this. I wanted to do this but had no time, so I just took the sample game, tweaked it slightly, and made a no gravity version.

Controls are WASD to move, QE to go up and down.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/WebPlayer.html?w=4ac45679

Edit: In retrospect, it was probably a stupid very stupid idea to even bother posting a link to a “game” that I made by editing a demo for about 5 minutes. Feel free to delete this!

:D Here’s a much better location for this. I just find the animation when you move up and down humorous.