Weird Offer: Programming Help for Flash Knowledge

10 posts

Flag Post

So, I’m seeing some folks post here that they have game ideas and want help programming them. I’m going to do something a little bizarre and kind of do the reverse here.

Are you a flash guru who wants some help figuring out a knotty algorithm? I’ve been writing software professionally for over 20 years. Would you be willing to show me how you put your game together in exchange?

What I’m offering: a couple hours of help sorting out a tricky algorithm or untangling a problem in your software architecture. I’d be happy to exchange e-mails, IRC or instant messages, or do a full-blown screenshare and voice chat via Skype.

What I’m NOT offering: to write your game.

What I’m asking for: a couple hours of demonstration of how your game is strung together, such as where your code is, what your class hierarchy looks like, how you get from Frame 1 to the beginning of Level 1. I have a very strong preference for screensharing and voice chat, so I can ask “where is X?” (Swapping projects via e-mail isn’t much better for me than downloading tutorials, which I’ve done plenty of.)

What I’m NOT asking for: credit in your game or copies of your source code (though if you’re offering either, I’m not refusing).

If you’re interested, shout me your e-mail. I have Adobe Design Premium CS3; I have a very strong preference for somebody who can show me around their project in the Flash CS3 IDE, but I have used Eclipse for a couple of years and I wouldn’t say no to a tour of Flex Builder.

As for my specific offering, I am very good at software design, OO abstractions and patterns, physics, 3D graphics and database management. I’ve never done much AI (such as the pathfinding in games like Desktop Tower Defense), so I can’t claim to be able to offer much in that specific area.

Flag Post

shouted

Flag Post

Hey Chalain,

Drop me an email on http://www.evilfree.com or http://www.flashsponsorship.com.

I think you will really like Actionscript 3. I’ll be very happy to help you out. I think with just a couple quick tips you will be up and running fast.

Adam

Flag Post

If you’ve used debuggers in SDKs like Eclipse, Forte, or Visual Studio, then welcome to the woes of the Flash debugger. Though I do have to say it’s nice they added a debugger at all. I have an opensource flash game if you are interested, but it is flash 8 (designed in CS3 though). Let me know if it is something you’d like to look at.

Flag Post

Thanks, ch00se! I’ll answer with a definite “maybe”. A few folks are encouraging me to stick with AS3/Flash 9, but I wouldn’t mind seeing a fully assembled game in Flash 8/AS2.

I remember reading something (I think posted by you?) about an open source game—is this that jukebox switcher thing?

Flag Post

yup the jukebox (ch00se_JukeBox) is my opensource game. I hear AS3 is much more programmer friendly, so it’s probably not a bad idea to stick with it. The only bad thing for now is that some website’s APIs do not work with AS3 yet (like Kongregate). Also, I’ve done a few projects that work on the Nintendo Wii, but they have to be Flash 7 in order to work. At least with flash 8 I can publish the game as Flash 7 without too many problems… no idea what happens when publishing from AS3 to Flash 7 (if it would work at all).

Drop me a line at ch00se@fantasticchoice.com if you’d like to do a colab sometime.. maybe I could finally have a reason to try out the new features of AS3.

Flag Post

Hey, I feel I am in the same boat as you. I myself know Java and a little C++, and have lately been thinking of making a game, but I have no clue how to make a game using Flash and I have never actually seen any ActionScript coding. I was considering make a game in Java but I have a feeling that would be harder (getting the graphics and sprites and everything). Anything is appreciated lol.

Flag Post

If you start from a simple machanics game (like most of my games), I can give you a bit of advice.

Start by thinking of what you are going to bace your game on. Decide what will be your goal (for instance getting stars or just surviving), and what will be the concept that you will base your game on. Then, build all the code that you need to make your character move (bouncing off walls, gravity, the arrow keys, etc.). Then, build the enemies. After that, just add finishing touches (like instructions). I think that you can do the graphics at esentiially any point, but if you look at my graphics, you’ll notice that I’m not the person to ask about these things.

Hope this helps!

Flag Post

Hey Chalain,

I’m in the same book. I’ve been coding for over 20 years, Always wanted to get into games (I have a few friends that work / worked at EA) but dislike the extreme corporate structure. It looks like some of these flash games will let me work out my game need bug. (and maybe even make some extra $$$)

On monday my copy of ‘Flash Game Programming for dummies’ came in (on amazon they also got a combo deal with ‘Macromedia flash pro 8 game development’ which looks like it’ll be a great read too. much more advanced.) I finished the for dummies book last night and I feel pretty comfortable with starting my own games. (first I intend on writing some re-usable tools) The downside with the for dummies book is that it is written for Flash 2004 MX, still I think it’ll work well.

I plan on doing my work in Flash 8. Btw.. some of the things you were looking for is to get your timeline to stop you use a stop() function. (surprise!) then you use your frames as different screens to your game (welcome, play, win, loose, instructions, etc) set up triggers on button presses to go to a frame and stop. ( ie. gotoandstop(welcome)), you do all your animations on a onenterframe function. I’m going off the top of my head right now because I don’t have the book with me.

Flag Post

Hey everyone. I’m a coding n00b, but I do know how to make games in Flash. Drop me a shout or an Email at carlosalbors@gmail.com.