Global Game Jam

47 posts

Flag Post

Thought I’d post this here. The 27th through the 29th is Global Game Jam 2012. A get-together and make a game weekend.

More info at their site

No idea if there’s a group in your area, but it looks like you can start one if there isn’t (still trying to figure out how to sign up for the one near me).

Flag Post

I’ve already reserved my spot. Here in Vancouver, Canada, it seems only UBC is hosting it, so there’s a limit number of spots and you need to pay money to reserve spots… (but also to pay for the stuff they provide), *sigh*

Flag Post

Groups(s) in my are have a limited number of sponsorship attendees, but you can still go for free.
The location I’m (going to try to) attend is a BYOT (bring your own technology) site, though. Free wifi, but no computers.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jonathanasdf:

I’ve already reserved my spot. Here in Vancouver, Canada, it seems only UBC is hosting it, so there’s a limit number of spots and you need to pay money to reserve spots… (but also to pay for the stuff they provide), sigh

Is there anyway I can participate?

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerber:

I’ve already reserved my spot. Here in Vancouver, Canada, it seems only UBC is hosting it, so there’s a limit number of spots and you need to pay money to reserve spots… (but also to pay for the stuff they provide), sigh

See if there’s a group in your area and sign up to be there?

Flag Post

Gah, this thing never has any locations near me.

E: Apparently I lied. There’s one 60 miles away. Not as close as I’d like, but it’s better than the 200 miles I’d have had to go previous years.

Flag Post

I believe you have to be 18+ to participate, but I don’t remember where I read this.

Flag Post

Which I am.

Didn’t realize that was directed at qwerber.

Flag Post

I believe you have to be 18+ to participate, but I don’t remember where I read this.

The site I’m going to participate in (if I remember and have time) says 13+.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

Gah, this thing never has any locations near me.

E: Apparently I lied. There’s one 60 miles away. Not as close as I’d like, but it’s better than the 200 miles I’d have had to go previous years.

Mine’s about 30, but it’s in the pain-in-the-arse-to-get-to part of Philly.
(But at least it isn’t Fishtown, there isn’t a direct route to Fishtown).

Flag Post

Are you kidding me. And it’s only at UBC?

Flag Post

Wow, I wish I could go to this. Too bad I know next to nothing about programming. Would be cool to meet some of the programmers here though; it seems that quite a few people are near the Vancouver one. :3

Flag Post

qwer don’t give up! I don’t remember where I read it anyways, it might have been for a different event. If by looking at the official eligibility rules on the ggj website and also on http://www.ggjvancouver2012.com/ and there’s nothing that says that you might still be able to go!

Still… $23 :<

Unrelated but it seems that Google is becoming a sponsor for TopCoder.

Flag Post
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:

Wow, I wish I could go to this. Too bad I know next to nothing about programming. Would be cool to meet some of the programmers here though; it seems that quite a few people are near the Vancouver one. :3

You don’t have to be. Heck, I think all they really want is someone with a working idea of how game design works. Or hell, even someone who can be a font of ideas that the actual designers and programers can chew on and turn into real gameplay.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:
Originally posted by uzzbuzz:

You don’t have to be. Heck, I think all they really want is someone with a working idea of how game design works. Or hell, even someone who can be a font of ideas that the actual designers and programers can chew on and turn into real gameplay.

I forgot to mention I am not 18 for a few months. :S

Flag Post

https://www.ggjvancouver2012.com/Register.aspx

All seats are taken. Volunteers must be 18+.

Are you kidding me Canada?

Flag Post

Alan Rawkins aka arawkins aka the guy who made Dolphin Olympics is here in Vancouver! Had the privilege of meeting him. Seems his team is going to be making some kind of Goldberg Machine x Pachinko puzzle game, looking forwards to trying it out.

Flag Post

I just went to the local one. Kinda weird. Gonna try to submit a game for this one.

Flag Post

Alan Rawkins aka arawkins aka the guy who made Dolphin Olympics is here in Vancouver! Had the privilege of meeting him. Seems his team is going to be making some kind of Goldberg Machine x Pachinko puzzle game, looking forwards to trying it out.

That’s epic!

Flag Post

oh, and with over 180 jammers the Vancouver site is officially the largest jam site in the world :D

Flag Post

oh, and with over 180 jammers the Vancouver site is officially the largest jam site in the world :D

Bangkok has the same as Vancouver, Atlanta beats both with 201 and Curitiba (Brazil) takes the crown with 224.

E And 191 in Copenhagen.

Flag Post

Our organizer checked with the organizer in Brazil, and they only have space for 100, so the rest will be doing it in other locations, so we still have the most on the official site.

And I don’t know about Atlanta and Copenhagen but our organizer told us we were the largest so I guess they probably have their own things going on too.

Flag Post

I have done awesome and terrible things

Flag Post

Bluh, forgot about this. Well, there’s always next year. (Or is it less than anually?)

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

Bluh, forgot about this. Well, there’s always next year. (Or is it less than anually?)

Join IGDA. I think there’s another event in June.