Is there a list of tutorials for making a tower defense game?

4 posts

Flag Post

I have basic flash skills, but I want to make a tower defense game. Would it be easier to make it non tiled based and have the enemy determine there path, instead of scripting one out?

Flag Post

hehe i dont know if there is an open source but if there is you still need to be able to understand AS

Flag Post

Well I’ve spent some time to read over all the flash commands, so I know what they all do. And I know I want this game to do, but I just need a few tutorials to get me started.

Flag Post

Then the best thing you could do would be to make a very simple game or experiment so you can see how it works in practice.

1. 1) Just move something around which was already on the stage. Learn about keyboard and/or mouse input
  2. 2) Create instances of objects (from the library)
  3. 3) Detect collisions between objects
  4. 4) Make sure you understand how object oriented code works. Store references to movieclips in arrays, put movieclips inside movieclips and so on.
  5. 5) (For the committed programmer of more complex games) Think! And read about useful algorithms and when to apply them. For example you almost certainly don’t want to hitTest all your bullets against all your creeps.
  6. 6) Write the game – you can now build it using the gift of programming, and work out what else you need to look up as you do it.

There are tutorials which cover 1-4 all over the web. There’s a list in the FAQ: Making Kongregate Games. READ FIRST!

For (5), just don’t restrict yourself to actionscript tutorials.