PGGC #1: Forest

76 posts

Flag Post

Procedurally Generated Graphics Contest #1

Rules:

• All graphics must be generated with code (no embedded or externally loaded images).
  • The final image should be generated with an algorithm.
  • A new image should be created whenever the user clicks.
  • It can be static or animated.
  • You can make any kind of image (of any art genre) as long as it fits the theme.
  • You can submit as many entries as you want.

Theme: Forest
Deadline: 18-03-2012

After the deadline, a voting period will start.

If this goes well, we can keep running a new contest every few weeks, like the GITD.

gl, hf.

Flag Post

Woo! Dwarf Fortress!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Woo! Dwarf Fortress!

Oh, yes. (:
I guess I’ll keep that as the logo and then use a pic produced by the winner application on the next contest (if this one succeeds).

Flag Post

Will people need to upload their source to prove they followed the rules of the contest?

Flag Post

Is it forest or more like landscape? The picture you had included a river, lake, and seemingly different elevation and terrain.

Flag Post

except that it’s just a logo and not a sample entry.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheKaveman:

Will people need to upload their source to prove they followed the rules of the contest?

Nope. I can always decompile it if there’s a reasonable doubt that it’s original, but let’s trust that everyone will be honest and submit his/her own work.

And of course, if you want to open source your work, that’d be really nice.

Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Is it forest or more like landscape? The picture you had included a river, lake, and seemingly different elevation and terrain.

As Jon said, the pic is just a logo, not a sample. And just as with GITD entries, the theme is open to interpretation. If you see a mountain or a lake somewhere in your forest, go ahead and add one. The same goes if your idea of a forest includes ewoks, fairies or rabbits.

Flag Post

Ok, I’ll join, since I just finished the FGL competition, and miniQuest is at a good resting point for me to await for some inspiration. I’ll see what I can whip up tonight.

Progress, Source code available here: https://github.com/UnknownGuardian/Forest-Procedural-Generation

Screenshots
v2

v3

Flag Post

That looks promising.
Nice job, UG. (:

Flag Post

I seem to be too abstract, I have started with abstract tree growing, and I think I could seed a whole forest with em. But they take a lot to code, and I don’t have much time… hope I’ll finish at least one tree to get finally drawn. :P

Flag Post

Oh boy, I am glad this contest started because I am so full of free time, oh yes. I don’t have a ton of homework or some college transfer applications to send in, and certainly have no tests to study for, or anything else at all.

</sarcasm>

Forest is a good theme. I may enter.

Flag Post

Erm… Will such ‘forests’ be considered as forests?

Flag Post

Sure, why not?
They look nice. (:

Flag Post

Sure, why not?

OK then, I’m in :)

They look nice. (:

Thank you :) I’ll probably add few things, there’s some time before the deadline.

Flag Post

I was planning on adding something like this to one of my games, wasn’t high up the to do list, but no reason I can’t code it early and get some feedback.

Flag Post

Do we have to do it in Flash? Can I use Java instead? If so, I might enter because I’ve been doing a lot of Java development for Android and for classes and I’d rather not break my stride of working with just Java if at all possible, even if Java and AS3 are closely related.

Flag Post

Sure.

Flag Post

http://megaswf.com/serve/2157936

Flag Post

That looks nice. (:
Maybe send the trunk to the back?

Also, for anyone loading that link, make sure to zoom in the trees.

Flag Post

Originally posted by Senekis93:

That looks nice. (:
Maybe send the trunk to the back?

Also, for anyone loading that link, make sure to zoom in the trees.

http://megaswf.com/serve/2158166

Flag Post

If you zoom in and look close enough, you can even see the trees looking back at you.

Flag Post

I seem to be seriously behind, so far my best is this:

Flag Post

Ah, this reminds me of my very first somewhat-serious AS3 work:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/BrainStormer/tree-generator

As it is the very first work it has many silly things, but it works. Actually, only the trunk and branches are procedurally generated, so it is not applicable for this contest, but I can share the code for ‘educational’ purposes if someone wants it.

Flag Post

lol, Aesica. xD

Also, keep posting images, I added all to a folder and the logo will be randomly selected everytime the thread is loaded.

E:

It looks nice, Vesperbot. Also, the deadline is in like three weeks, so no need to rush it.

Flag Post

Wow, looking great from everyone. My favorite is probably UG’s, but they all look neat. And Senekis, nice random picture idea :^)