30-day Point and Click

15 posts

Flag Post

With maybe 6-hours a week that I can work on it, I want to build a P+C in 30 days (the length of the flash trial) because I don’t have $700 right now. I can easily write the story and script, and should be able to do the programming because the game will be fairly simple. It will be decision based, rather than item/location like Johhny Rocketfingers 2 and Detective Grimoire. There may be a few minigames, and there will be branching storylines.

I could do this practically text-based, but don’t want to because it is flash. The problem is, I suck at art and sound, so I can’t do it on my own. If you manage to give me any help, weather sound files, a little art, or even some simple advice, I promise you will be credited. Either post it here, or email me at smigbob@gmail.com. Thanks in advance, I hope the final product to materialize by the end of the year. Think of it as a Christmas present. XD

Flag Post

Ok, I will ask a couple of specific questions. First, how can you make text add one letter per frame? Do you have to individually animate each frame, or is there a shortcut? Second, can I get sponsorship/funding by posting an alpha without art or sound or minigames in differents portals and hope someone notices? Or is there a better way?

Flag Post

Say you have a TextField called myTextField, and a string called myString, you could set up an onEnterFrame function (assuming as2. if using as3 it’ll be a bit different), something like this:

var myString:String = “This will grow one letter at a time”;
var characterCount:Number = 0;

onEnterFrame = function() {
characterCount++;
for (var i = 0; i <= characterCount; i++) {
myTextField.text = myString.substr(0, i);
}
if (myString.length == characterCount) delete onEnterFrame;
}

About getting sponsorship – do NOT post your game anywhere until it is sponsored. If your game is already out there without branding, sponsors have no exclusivity and no reason to sponsor it. Instead, email potential sponsors with a copy of the game and ask if they would like to sponsor it.

Flag Post

Ok, say I want funding so I can finish the game and add the art, sound, and minigames; the alpha will be story and dialouge only. And what about posting it only on my own site in the Alpha stage until it gets sponsored. Also, will anyone sponsor someone’s first game?

P.S. Moonkey, what would you like to be credited as? If you don’t answer, I will just do Moonkey.

Flag Post

Yeah on your own site would probably be ok. You may want to look into protecting the .swf so it can only be played on your site though.
My first game was sponsored, so yeah. I had some prior flash knowledge from a multimedia course though.. so I was able to make something pretty decent right away. All depends on the quality.
And Moonkey is fine hehe, cheers.

ps. That code I just gave you is retarded. No need for a loop. And it ate my formatting :(

var myString:String = “This will grow one letter at a time”;
var characterCount:Number = 0;

onEnterFrame = function() {
characterCount++;
myTextField.text = myString.substr(0, characterCount);
if (myString.length == characterCount) delete onEnterFrame;
}

Flag Post

Oh wow, help from a (monster) master, hexiom is great too. How do I protect it to only play on my site? Thanks for the help.

Flag Post

Hehe. I’ve never done it myself, but the last post in this thread on the NG forums has it all.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/288216

Flag Post

Denvish had a tut on protection umm not sure bout the tuts link but here is denvishes page www.denvish.net

Flag Post
**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=10:Line 1: Statement must appear within on handler
     stop();

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=10:Line 3: Statement must appear within on handler
     deleteEmail.onRelease = function(){

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=20:Line 1: Statement must appear within on handler
     stop();

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 1, frame=20:Line 3: Statement must appear within on handler
     startOver.onRelease = function(){ 

Anyway, I got these errors from this code, frame 10:

deleteEmail.onRelease = function(){
	_root.gotoAndStop("deleteEmail");
}

_root.onEnterFrame = function(){
if(Key.isDown(Key.SPACE)){
	trace("it worked");
	_root.gotoAndStop("doomMessage");
}
} 

and frame 20, aka deleteEmail:

btnContinue.onRelease = function(){
	_root.gotoAndStop("atWork");
} 

Could someone please give me a hand? I am using Flash 8 Basic, and the Key.isDown thing worked flawlessly, and I got these errors before I put that in. And of course, the buttons don’t work. In other frames, the buttons work.

Flag Post

Fixed it! Turns out the problem was I had code in the buttons, instead of the frame, and it was throwing things out of whack. Plus, I had the buttons named wrong in the source. Dumass mistake on my part.

Flag Post

Ok, new problem. In testing, when I press the spacebar for frame ten, as shown above, it registers. However, as long as I keep the same instance of flash open, the spacebar causes it to load the doomMessage frame. What do I do to keep this from happening? I tried deleting the _root before the calls in that function, but it didn’t help.

Flag Post

http://www.kongregate.com/games/smigbob/deesktope-vs-fanceer-v0-1

Flag Post

When you put

if(Key.isDown(Key.SPACE)){

It’s only checking whether space is down, and doesn’t care what frame it’s on.
An easy way of adding in that check would be

if(Key.isDown(Key.SPACE) && root.currentframe == 10){

Then it’ll only work if space is down AND its on frame 10

Flag Post

Interesting, I feel like watching an animation.

stop();

Flag Post

I like the v0.1, Though it would be nice with more colors, backgrounds