PGGC #1: Voting

51 posts

Flag Post

How to vote: You have 3 points to spend as you want; you can give all points to a single user, give a single point to three different entrants, etc. (Participants can vote, but not for their own entries).
Also, feedback is always appreciated.

Check the pic to see the deadline.

General note: Some entries are resource hungry. Make sure to save all important browser works or to use a different browser/process to load the SWFs in case it crashes (10 years old computer loaded them fine, but you never know).

Entries:
  • UnknownGuardian: View Notes: (source).
  • Skyboy: View Notes: Make sure to zoom in.
  • BrainStormer: View Notes: (source). Sometimes it generates a scenario full of water. Click to generate a new one.
  • Vesperbot: View Notes: Takes a while to build. Start generating it and go do something else while it finishes (you’ll know it finished when the red text is gone). (:
  • Aaants: View Notes: Make sure to move the mouse around!
  • Ambitious: View Notes: It starts by spawning a single tree and then propagates. It may take a while so you can leave it running for a couple of minutes and then come back. Don’t leave for too long, though; the trees die after a while. ):

Great job everyone. The entries were way beyond my expectations when I started the contest. (:

Next contest will start in some months to give time to people to work on their projects or to enter other contests, drop me a PM or reply here and tell me if you want me to send you a message when the next contest starts.

UG: I uploaded your file to Megaswf so people don’t have to browse your Github.

Flag Post

2 points to Aaaants, 1 point to Brainstormer.

They were all awesome, though!

Flag Post

UnknownGuardian’s use of perspective looks good, but Aaants’s forest is by far the most beautiful.

2 points to Aaants and 1 to UnknownGuardian

Flag Post

1 for Aaants, 1 for BrainStormer, and 1 for UnknownGuardian.

Flag Post

1 point BrainStormer, 1 point Ambitious, 1 point Aaants

Flag Post

2 for Aaants, 1 for BrainStormer.
Vesperbot’s is great in the end, but way too much lag.

Flag Post

2 for Vesperbot, 1 for BrainStormer.

Vesperbot’s is too slow, but the results are definitely worth 20 rather than 2.

Flag Post

I couldn’t choose a favorite. They’re all good on each their way:

1 Point for Aants – Loving the atmosphere in this. also seems like an excellent background for a side-scroller
1 Point for Vesperbot – Loving the result, but takes too long to generate.
1 Point for UnkownGuardian – Loving the concept and style.

Flag Post

UnknownGuardian’s is my favourite cause I’m a bit of sucker for abstract art. :P 2 POINTS
Vesperbot’s is probably the most breathtaking considering that it’s randomly generated. 1 POINT

Flag Post

2 for Vesperbot.

Flag Post

1) Aaants
2) BrainStormer

Flag Post

Vesperbot’s trees are by far the most realistic, so 2 for him.
Brainstormer’s is probably the most suitable for a game, so 1 to him.

Count me in next time

Flag Post

hmmm.

Senekis’ SWF seems to not understand mouse clicks – it just generates a picture and stays at that. (Or is there something I horribly miss?)

skyboy’s SWF generates an interesting set of trees, even with circular gradient – nice, but too small IMHO to see clearly. But if you do zoom in, they can turn out being spOOOOky :) I’ve just got one that looks like a ghost :)

BTW, did someone try zooming in my SWF?

BrainStormer’s SWF is laden with features, but the actual code is pretty slow, tried it today at my father’s, the performance was about 4fps. Weird I guess, as the scene does not get re-generated between frames. Do check your update routine (next time) :) Still, it’s very pretty looking.

Aaants’s SWF uses a clever approach to drawn shapes, using colors and blur and backplane, AND it’s animated with a nice speed (once it’s generated – so what?) – and while being pretty simple from coder’s view, they are pleasant, and they do form a realistic forest.

Amibtious – at first I was going to say “it’s the other way, a shadow should not be above the tree!” but then I forgot to take light direction into account. A nice in-progress growing forest of circular firs, but it’s a bit disappointing to see the trees plain vanish.

My vote goes to:
2 points to Aaants, one for the view, one for outstanding performance.
1 point to BrainStormer.

Flag Post

2 for UG,
1 for BrainStormer.

Flag Post

One point to Aaants.
One point to Vesperbot.
One point to BrainStormer.

Flag Post

UG, I liked yours a lot, just a tad dull and a little bit odd.
Skyboy – quite interesting, just not as impressive as some
Brainstormer – neat, but it did seem to generate all land/all water too much.
Vesperbot – Neat idea, but wow, that did take a long time. Also, not a big fan of thee appearance of the ground.
Aaants – I loved this one :D
Ambitious, Good start, but could probably use a little more work (I know you ran out of time)

2.5 pts: Aaants
.5 pts: UG

Flag Post

.5 Points to Aaants
.5 Points to UG
2 Points to Brainstormer because I liked his the best

Flag Post

2 to Aaants

1 to Vesper

Flag Post

2 for BrainStormer
1 for Vesperbot

I’d have liked Ambitious’s one more, if it had started with more trees at the start. It takes way too long to get up to a full forest.
Vesperbot’s is nice and detailed, but ends up doing more than needed (the trees closest to the front completely block seeing any of the early drawn pixels).

Skyboy’s I couldn’t get to work.

Flag Post

3 points to BrainStormer, honorable mention to Vesperbot and Aaants.

Changing time of day, complete with sun, moon, and lighting. Birds flying by, plus stars at night. Fish skeletons lying at the bottom of the lake(s), and bubbles coming up from various places. Pretty good-looking forests, even if the trees are all based on the same image.

Near instant generation of all of the above.

Sorry everyone else, but as far as I’m concerned, there’s no contest.

And yes, I can tell what shortcuts he took, but I don’t care. They were the correct shortcuts to have taken, and they don’t hurt the product.

Flag Post

Originally posted by Draco18s:

valid areas to click changed in some recent version. used to be anywhere, now it’s just on the text; or when you have them, the trees. it’s weird.

also, my trees are meant more for like a 2D game like pokemon, or another similar top-diagonal-down-view game; and on the plus side, they generate in ~1ms each on very old machines

Flag Post
Originally posted by skyboy:

Originally posted by Draco18s:

valid areas to click changed in some recent version. used to be anywhere, now it’s just on the text; or when you have them, the trees. it’s weird.

also, my trees are meant more for like a 2D game like pokemon, or another similar top-diagonal-down-view game; and on the plus side, they generate in ~1ms each on very old machines

Ah ha.

Flag Post

1 to UnknownGuardian
1 to SkyBoy
1 to BrainStormer

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:
BTW, did someone try zooming in my SWF?

I did, then it caused some massive lag when I tried to zoom out, maybe I clicked somewhere and it started generating a new one.

Flag Post

2 to BrainStormer
1 to UG