Jakobs Productions.

18 posts

Flag Post

EDIT: Original post was deleted. This may be locked soon.

Just remember that when you are underage, you cannot legally enter a contract with anyone without your parents consent. You should also make sure anyone who wants to work with you knows that you have no experience and just decided to try out producing games. Being “fairly new” to producing is a lot different than just hearing about producing today and deciding to call yourself one because it sounds fitting, so make sure to be completely honest and don’t give others untrue impressions about your qualifications/experience. The business world is a very serious place and you can find yourself in a lot of trouble if someone assumes you are older and more experienced and then feels like they were deceived later (whether you meant to or not).

Remember what we said: start off slow and small. Don’t push yourself too fast, you have plenty of time to learn and you’re just starting your journey. Starting a “company” and calling yourself a “producer” is jumping the gun a little.

Whatever you do, hope it works out :)

Flag Post

It didn’t my parents got all spazzy because I used my name. O.o

Flag Post

Thats understandable. You’re not really old enough to do this and they are legally responsible for anything you do. They were right to step in. It will help you focus back on handling it more casually now, the way it should be :)

Flag Post

so what Do I do? I would like some help from a developer to make my ideas into games and animations.

Flag Post

also all my parents said was that People would only steal my ideas.

Flag Post

Arcane?

Flag Post

Yeah, I’m gonna say that unless you’re paying for the ideas to be developed, or unless you are a major contributor (I mean like 50%), people will likely just take your ideas, assuming they’re good ideas, since you can’t really copyright them in the idea form very easily. So, look out for yourself. If it’s something you’re really attached to, just keep working on it yourself and evolving the idea until you can do something more concrete.

Flag Post

well, I have a question, what do you mean contributor? do you mean to the site or to the game or what?

Flag Post

[a contributor] to the project in question.

Flag Post

ah, and what sort of contribution? I have over $2000 to blow, but my parents won’t let me touch it! even if it means profit.

Flag Post

hello?

Flag Post

Well, it’s a good thing your folks won’t let you ‘blow’ it, because I have a feeling that’s probably what you’d do. Seriously, it takes more than $2k to pay someone to produce a quality Flash game. Also, it seems that you’re new to the idea of forum posting, but generally you don’t have conversations like this in such a short timeframe. Post, then wait a few days, and see if someone replies. It makes you look very unprofessional, even if we didn’t already know that. I’m not bashing you, but there’s some things you just need to know, like how to post in a forum. I hope this helps, because I’m not going to continue this conversation.

Flag Post

He means contributing in the form of your own talents (coding, art, game design, management, costs, etc).

As far as your money goes, your parents are wise not to let you touch it. I can tell you from experience that Theres a 99% chance that using that money at this stage in your life for this particular situation would be a huge waste and not be worth it.

What you need to do is start developing your own talents and learn to be self sufficient. If you dont have those talents, you cannot contribute. And yes, people could possibly take your ideas if you are not experienced and old enough, particularly since you are not educated on a lot of this and cannot enter a binding contract with them.

Just take things casually, read up stuff on the internet, maybe get some books and learn over time. Some of the learning comes simply due to time passing and being around. Don’t rush it like you are now with the thought that you’ve got to start working with someone right now, or get your ideas realized tomorrow – thats just not going to happen. Be patient and calm down a little and you’ll get there soon enough.

Flag Post

okay, well you’re porbably right about the money thing, and sorry about the fast posting, I go on www.gaiaonline.com a lot and the forums there it’s hard to keep up with it. okay. well I can do character art and consept art, but that’s about it. allright. THank you. so if I need help I go talk to you guys right?

Flag Post

so if I need help I go talk to you guys right?

Sure, as long as you are patient. No more outbursts like earlier today please ;)

Flag Post

allright, oh guess what? I just finished my latest game “Control the allmighty white dots!” look for it in the “More” section.

Flag Post

Just a suggestion, but if I were you I’d stop posting tons of comments on your game page. It tends to really tick people off and make them not like you. Remember what I said: relax and be patient :)

Flag Post

okay sure thing man.