RPG Making Comp (locked)

46 posts

Flag Post

RPG Game Making Competition, starts 1st of May until 1st of August.

Hi! We here at 64digits.com are hosting an RPG theme game making competition, cunningly called RPG Four Digits.

…that might sound like a fairly random name, but it is the latest in a series of competitions with more fortunate names (eg Scary Four Digits for halloween, Sixty Fools Digits for April Fools). To make things even more confusing, 64digits is building an RPG into the site called 64RPG. But let’s not get into that…

The competition is three months long, to fully do the theme justice (we usually do month-long ones, a bit like another game contest you may have heard of). There are prizes, which are subject to further donations/sponsorships, so do check back if you think the reward is unsubstantial. And don’t worry, everything is completely non-profit on our end. We just like games. A lot.

Hope you check it out!

Flag Post

Hey, if you are the owner of that site, I couldn’t find a working way to contact you. You have some nice security vulnerabilities going on. I’d definitely spend some time trying to fix them, especially before asking users to register or anything.

I don’t check every site, I just got curious on that one for fun…

Flag Post

I’m not the owner, or even a moderator, just a member.

There’s some construction going on right now, so I don’t know if the vulnerabilities are related to that or if they’ve always been there.

EDIT: Alot of the security problems got fixed by some cool guy, so test it out again.

Flag Post

Shameless bump…

prizes updated

Flag Post

Another shameless bump… cos first prize is now well over $400 and you have a week to enter.

Flag Post

I don’t have an account on your site, do you take registrations from here?

Does the team composition have to be final at the time of registration?

Do you have a newsletter/blog/forum/other dedicated to the competition that entrants can check/register to and where news regarding the competition will posted?

Do you have a FAQ or some other general info document (beyond the page you linked, I read that)?

Flag Post

You have to enter at 64digits, or the logistics of the whole thing would be impossible. I am but one man.

You can change your team whenever… but obviously a last minute change won’t be taken seriously.

The blog/forum for the competition is 64digits. It isn’t dedicated to the competition. My blog on 64digits is the where all the competition details are posted.

I’ve been meaning to make a FAQ, but really most of the frequently asked questions are answered by actually reading the rules.

Flag Post

The prize pile doesn’t stop from getting taller.

Why can people not enter mid-contest? I won’t be ready by the start date, but I might still want to enter a little later if I have the time.

Also, do you have to start development after May 1? I assumed so, but I didn’t see it explicitly mentioned in the rules. I have an RPG I’ve been working on that I might be interested in entering, provided I finish it before the contest ends.

Also also are there any kinds of exclusivity rules, or could I post my game to Kongregate and sell it to sponsors and fly over Oklahoma in a plane dropping CD-copies of the game with little parachutes all over the populated areas?

Flag Post

As cool RPGs are, this competition looks kinda lame.

Flag Post

Sorry, but if I wanted my RPGs hosted anywhere, I would probably not host it on that server. Come to think of it, I’ve never even HEARD of the server. If I was going to host any epic RPG anywhere, I would host it on Kong. I wouldn’t really care what that site offers me.
Secondly, to be quite frank, after this compo, there is probably somethingin the terms and conditions that you have to host it on the site and nowhere else- it’s just not mentioned in the rules. At least LudumDare lets you host anywhere- as long as you show everyone where the game is.
Last, but not least, lik DannyDaNinja said, the competition looks lame.

Flag Post

@truefire Officially you have to enter before it starts, but I’ll probably be extending entry until July or something.
You do have to start development after May 1st. You can use SOME pre-made stuff, but the majority has to be fresh, to ensure you’re not just finishing an unfinished game.
There’s no exclusivity or any such thing like that. I’ve stated numerous times that it’s non-commercial, non-profit, just for fun. You do need to at least enter the competition BEFORE you release it elsewhere, though, or it’s obvious the game wasn’t intended for the competition.

@DannyDaNinja Whatever, man, there’s no need to be insulting. Way to represent your community. Thankfully we don’t have people like you at ours.

Flag Post

@jasonjie88 There are no “terms and conditions”. The only difference between Ludum Dare and us is that we have prizes that are donated by individual members of our community, out of the kindness of their hearts that you are so ungrateful of. I’ve also had various sponsors who offered prizes in return for a little ad space and nothing else. The games aren’t even hosted on our site, you host them yourself and submit them for consideration in the competition. Please try to establish at least a modicum of fact before commenting, rather than just guessing a bunch paranoid and defamatory bullshit. If you don’t trust me, I implore you not to enter. You haven’t “even heard” of our site? Well, surely that means that it must not exist! How arrogant.

Frankly, don’t worry yourselves. I certainly won’t be bothering this community again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Toast4001:

@DannyDaNinja Whatever, man, there’s no need to be insulting. Way to represent your community. Thankfully we don’t have people like you at ours.

Pay no attention to the 12 year old who thinks he’s hot shit, but isn’t.

Flag Post

Frankly, don’t worry yourselves. I certainly won’t be bothering this community again.

Way to represent your community? Seriously, people are decent, and then you get two slightly mean comments and flip out. Does that mean everyone at your community is hotheaded and easily offended? Of course not.

I certainly won’t be bothering with your competition… Except I actually will*, because that kind of logic doesn’t make any sense.

*well, on the same terms as before. ie: if I finish my current stuff in time to enter.

Flag Post

You and Draco18s are the only people so far that I’d describe as particularly pleasant.

And of course I’m going to judge a community based on its members. There isn’t anything else to judge a community on. Sorry about that, but then maybe you should do something about it. I’ve posted this at ~40 forums. It takes alot of time, so why I should I waste that time being insulted, when none of the others are insulting? It seems perfectly reasonable to me that I might choose to avoid this community in future.

A final note – being insulted upon is not the same as being offended. I haven’t been emotionally affected by their comments, I just refuse to take any shit.

Flag Post

So that’s 2 insulting and 2 pleasant. That seems like a pretty good ratio for the internet.

Flag Post

Yet it’s still a far worse ratio than the other 39. So it would appear that it isn’t.

Flag Post

For someone who wasn’t offended, you sure are unforgiving.

Flag Post

I’m still here, aren’t I?

Flag Post

True…

Flag Post

Geez, stop whining about Kong’s developer community, something totally unrelated to the actual topic you’ve created. If you really have nothing to do but keep on whining then why don’t you make some mi goreng noodles and then play outside with your dog or something.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

People have hardly been insulting, they’ve just been skeptical, and rightfully so. I’ve seen programming contests where you end up doing a major amount of work for someone and the prize is less than you’d get paid normally. There are also plenty of contests that steal your work, lock it up legally, etc. When a random person shows up and their first post is advertising something, it’s always suspicious. I personally have never heard of 64digits. This doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist, but it does mean that I’m not going to trust it right away. This is a healthy dose of skepticism when it comes to the internet. You even said yourself that the 64digits site is plain awful. Don’t you think maybe people would doubt the validity of this contest?

Two people saying a contest looks kind of lame is hardly offensive. To be honest, ‘Please try to establish at least a modicum of fact before commenting, rather than just guessing a bunch paranoid and defamatory bullshit. If you don’t trust me, I implore you not to enter. You haven’t “even heard” of our site? Well, surely that means that it must not exist! How arrogant.’ seems much more rude to me than anything that had been said up to that point. Also, making sweeping generalizations generally does not help.

When you come to a site and are a new user seeking to promote something from somewhere else, you should maintain a much higher mark of professionalism than the actual users on the site. If a comment offends you, a general suggestion is to just ignore it. I know it’s easy to think of sarcastic replies, but in general, these aren’t the best idea. Also, think about how your attitude affects our perception of your site and the chance we’ll participate in a contest if these are your main goals.

Flag Post

Sorry, but simply rejecting something I’ve worked hard to put together for everyone who might be interested as “lame”, without a single factual word of explanation, is offensive. What you’re referring to as “skepticism” was in fact complete fallacies which were spoken as if they were truths. Searching the host site for exploits and then ceasing to post any further details is also offensive, and is exactly the same as posting fallacies, if you don’t even bother showing any evidence. All of those comments were completely defamatory in nature. The way I said 64digits was “plain awful” was obviously an ironic joke designed to lighten the mood and demonstrate the kind of site we are. We don’t take ourselves seriously – not many other communities seem to get that. It was also my way of changing the subject, because those sort of issues are completely out of my hands.

I fully justify my attitude. I don’t think I was any more rude than he deserved. If it affects your perception of the site in a negative way, then the site probably wouldn’t be for you anyway, because this is how we do things there. In other words, I have considered all of this. I don’t need to be professional, because this is not a commercial competition. I’m not promoting, I’m publicising. I’m not trying to “sell” you the competition, I’m simply informing potential competitors of its existence. I don’t really see how I was sarcastic either.

I’m not making money from this. I don’t need you to enter, and if you don’t want to enter, I don’t want you to either.

I get how you’re trying be the “voice of reason” here, but really you just came off as condescending, and failed to understand the point of the competition.