[Beginner] Questions about Developing Games for Kong

5 posts

Flag Post

Hey All,

I have just recently started learning to program through an intro course in programming at my university, which uses a teaching program called DrRacket.

I want to test my abilities by creating a game, but know that there are significant differences between what I’ve been doing, and what I’ll need to know to make a game for Kong.

So here are my first couple questions (feel free to point my to links that discuss these sort of things):

1) What program should I be using (or can I be using) to make games for Kong? Preferably not too complicated, and preferably free.

2) What resolutions are possible in games on Kong?

Thanks in advance for the help, and I’m sure I will have many more questions as I move along in this project.

-mdc

Flag Post

Resolution:max width 800, height….you choose. 600 is a good number to fit with 800 width, but you could probably go to….mebe 641 or whatever if you have a particular reason to….without problems.

Program (free): Flashdevelop for the programming, anything you like for the art (MSPaint, photoshop, whatever).

Program (simple): ?

Also you should look out for stickies with [READ BEFORE POSTING] in the title, and read them, before posting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Amibtious:

Also you should look out for stickies with [READ BEFORE POSTING] in the title, and read them, before posting.

Oops, I feel slightly silly ;)
Thanks!

Flag Post

You’ll need a compiler if you’re wanting to go the Flash route. Adobe has a free one for AS3. So does Haxe. I’ve never used Haxe but I’ve heard good things.

Another route to consider is Unity. I’ve never used it either though.

Flag Post

So far, I’ve been following one of the tutorials on the topic that Amibtious referenced, which has led me to download:

1) Flash Develop
2) Flex SDK
3) Something else I forget…

And I’m doing a practice program with AS3 on the same tutorial, and things are starting to click a little. It’s weird because I’m used to a completely different way of organizing things, but all the same elements are there, just written differently (and in a way I like less). I’ll probably stick with this method for a while, at least a few games (assuming I ever finish a game :P) before trying anything else.