Show us a screenshot of what you're working on! page 20

648 posts

Flag Post

Atm it is a random map generator. Going to try to add new modes to it.

Some more pics of diff generations:

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aceeri:

Looks nice! Is there planned support on bigger scales/resoultions? Right now it looks like each pixel represents are large land area.

Flag Post

Flag Post
Originally posted by Elyzius:

I’ve always wanted to be able to add special events in my games, such as having character-to-character conversations that also allow characters to animate or move around while they talk. At the same time, I wanted to script those events in a text-based file to make it easy to edit events within different scenarios.

In the event shown above, whenever the avatar dies, the avatar fades away, and the screen fades to black. The avatar is then transferred to a specific spot on the map, and the camera is set to the avatar’s location. The avatar is made to face east and is restored to full visibility. The screen then fades from black, revealing the scene, and a conversation is launched, wherein the speakers are made to face each other at different points in the dialog.

It took me a while, but I finally came up with a system that works pretty well. Below is a screenshot of my event system in action. It’s hard to tell from a screenshot that it works, but trust me, it does.

Be careful with the JSON format. Its super cool you are using that, but remember that JSON is not order dependent. So for conversations, it might be good to have an ID or index value. Still. Incredibly cool. Even more awesome is when you can have a button in game to reload the JSON and start the sequence over for live editing. :O

Also, anyone remember Bronsoner’s beginning days here? :D We all cautioned that its hard work. Looks like he has persevered and is actually on the track to making some super cool games.

Flag Post

Aye, congrats to that. :) Although there’s no R in achievements. Unless these’re space pirates.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Be careful with the JSON format. Its super cool you are using that, but remember that JSON is not order dependent. So for conversations, it might be good to have an ID or index value. Still. Incredibly cool.

Thanks. Actually, each line of dialog is in an array called “sequence,” so they’re all ordered, but that will only work for linear dialog. For branching dialog, I’ll definitely need to use IDs on each line.

Also, anyone remember Bronsoner’s beginning days here? :D We all cautioned that its hard work. Looks like he has persevered and is actually on the track to making some super cool games.

Yeah, I’ve been keeping an eye on him here and on FGL. (Stalker alert, stalker alert.) Looks like the people he collaborates with appreciate what he puts on the table.

Flag Post

http://imgur.com/a/zrSOx

Latest project.

Flag Post

Almost done with my side scrolling beat em up game.

What’s in the pic is the enemy spawning system we just recently made, when the player’s hitbox hits a hitbox with a red dot below it, it spawns a zombie or two, the actual type of zombie and amount depends on the code on that single hitbox. The two hitboxes with the YO below them are hitboxes that force the player to stay back and kill all the zombies, once all the zombies are dead the player can move on until they hit another red dot hitbox.

Basically we’ve just made a cool enemy spawning system which is really really easy and practicable to work with.

The game should be done in the next few hours, probably by the time you are reading this you will be able to play it!

Flag Post

Looking forward to it, Danny. But don’t code on movieclips. D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerber:
Originally posted by Aceeri:

Looks nice! Is there planned support on bigger scales/resoultions? Right now it looks like each pixel represents are large land area.

At the moment, I’m working on performance and then there will be larger scale maps.

Flag Post

The final frontier.

Flag Post

http://www.fastswf.com/jm83Os8

Controls:
AWSD – Moves screen
E – Creates new map
1 – Small Map
2 – Normal Map
3 – Large Map
4 – Huge Map

Flag Post

Dat map.
I’m joking, besides that, the generation is really nice. (:

Flag Post
Originally posted by Feffers:

Dat map.
I’m joking, besides that, the generation is really nice. (:

To make it robust I would do some of my own post-processing on the perlin noise by layering over some metaballs or tweaking the high-low values.

Flag Post

I’ve updated a lot on that map generator now. Probably a lot better generation than the last one. Added territories:

http://www.fastswf.com/6K1zvB4

Controls:
Press 5 once to get the initial map, then e to refresh (Do NOT press 5 again, it will probably crash your browser :P)
E – Refresh map
1 to 4 – Map Sizes (See post above with previous control)
AWSD to move screen

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

Why not? :\
I’ve always done it that way and it’s been fine

Flag Post

Starting to work on a pirate-themed game, and have worked a bit on how I want the battles to be controlled:
http://danishdragon.com/pirates/
(W to accelerate, A and D to steer the rudder, Q and E to fire cannons) – as of now I’m thinking about changing the acceleration to work with sails and wind.

(note… just ignore my 2-minute AI, it’s pretty much just sailing in circles shooting xD)

Flag Post

To control a sail-propelled ship, you set amount of sails (assumed constant for many maneuvers, also it shouldn’t change as rapidly as throttle – those pirates have to climb masts to set or remove extra sails), you provide tiller angle relative to ship (up to PI/4 to either side) and sail angle to the ship (up to PI/2 to either side), then let the wind blow and calculate reaction of the ship. There are two phases to determine the resultant force: calculate mass of the wind (wind density x wind speed x square of sails x sin(sails vs wind)) that hits the sails, multiply it by another sin(sails vs wind) to determine effective momentum applied against masts, then multiply it by sin(ship vs sails) to find out the resultant force that pushes the ship forward. Because a ship has a lot less resistance moving towards its nose (or how is it called) than laterally, you can ignore the component of force moving the ship laterally. But, I’d wish you make it count… Then, you now have the forward-propelling force applied to ship, divide by its mass, get acceleration, add to velocity. Then, get square of tiller blade (that’s under water, about a constant for a ship), multiply it by sin(tiller vs ship) x cos(tiller vs ship) x water density x ship speed, and apply the resultant force as steering force.

Flag Post
Originally posted by vesperbot:

To control a sail-propelled ship, you set amount of sails (assumed constant for many maneuvers, also it shouldn’t change as rapidly as throttle – those pirates have to climb masts to set or remove extra sails), you provide tiller angle relative to ship (up to PI/4 to either side) and sail angle to the ship (up to PI/2 to either side), then let the wind blow and calculate reaction of the ship. There are two phases to determine the resultant force: calculate mass of the wind (wind speed x square of sails x sin(sails vs wind)) that hits the sails, multiply it by another sin(sails vs wind) to determine effective momentum applied against masts, then multiply it by sin(ship vs sails) to find out the resultant force that pushes the ship forward. Because a ship has a lot less resistance moving towards its nose (or how is it called) than laterally, you can ignore the component of force moving the ship laterally. But, I’d wish you make it count… Then, you now have the forward-propelling force applied to ship, divide by its mass, get acceleration, add to velocity. Then, get square of tiller blade (that’s under water, about a constant for a ship), multiply it by sin(tiller vs ship) x cos(tiller vs ship) x water density x ship speed, and apply the resultant force as steering force.

Thanks for the wall of text there! I will definitely give it a throughout read when I’m going to brainstorm later on the details.

Flag Post

If you’re going to do all that then you should also include calculations of the sail overlap: when a sail is catching wind, there is no wind beyond that sail in the wind direction, so if there is another sail there it won’t be useful for propelling the ship. That’s why a three-mast ship goes faster when the wind is in its rear at an angle rather than directly in its rear.

Edit: \/ If he directly does it for S sails in N dimensions then no matter what direction in the manifold the wind is coming from the ship will be able to catch it and smoothly glide tangentially to the (N-1)-dimensional water hypersurface.

Too much?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

If you’re going to do all that then you should also include calculation of the sail overlap: when a sail is catching wind, there is no wind beyond that sail in the wind direction, so if there is another sail there it won’t be useful for propelling the ship. That’s why a three-mast ship goes faster when the wind is its rear at an angle rather than directly in its rear.

Yep, true, though I was under an impression he’ll have to do something for one mast first. :)

Flag Post

@Danishdragon: I’ll be honest, right now the controls feel pretty clunky, and getting myself to actually aim at the enemy ship makes me hate life. It should never feel like a chore to make your character do something as simple as properly aiming itself at a target. To simplify the controls a bit, consider something like this: Ship steers toward the mouse (using the same turning formula—don’t instantly face it to the mouse, obviously). Mouse button fires both cannons—is there ever a strategic advantage to only firing one?) Some other key puts on the brakes

Oh, and I wouldn’t get all overly scientific about the steering, moving, extra sails, etc. You want your controls to be intuitive, not some convoluted form of rocket surgery. I’d only add that stuff if you think it will contribute to the gameplay experience in a positive way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

@Danishdragon: I’ll be honest, right now the controls feel pretty clunky, and getting myself to actually aim at the enemy ship makes me hate life. It should never feel like a chore to make your character do something as simple as properly aiming itself at a target. To simplify the controls a bit, consider something like this: Ship steers toward the mouse (using the same turning formula—don’t instantly face it to the mouse, obviously). Mouse button fires both cannons—is there ever a strategic advantage to only firing one?) Some other key puts on the brakes

Oh, and I wouldn’t get all overly scientific about the steering, moving, extra sails, etc. You want your controls to be intuitive, not some convoluted form of rocket surgery. I’d only add that stuff if you think it will contribute to the gameplay experience in a positive way.

My end-goal is having a strategic game where most battles are aimed to be somewhat difficult – I plan on having the steering mechanicsm as it is now, and then find a good balance between having realistic vs fun sails.

For the cannons – you’re going to have cargo on the ship, cannonballs being one of the commodities – you will have to stock up when you’re at islands – so you should aim for not wasting too many balls on just plopping them in the ocean. You will be able to install additional cannons on the ship.
"
I’ve gotten the overall ideas for the game from the Pirates of the Caribbean video game

Flag Post
Originally posted by DannyDaNinja:
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

Why not? :\
I’ve always done it that way and it’s been fine

It works, but it’s messy. Classes seem scary at first but they’re not once you get used to them.

Flag Post

Lol, left my game running, it filled up with hundreds of enemies all rendering, colliding with the tilemap and separating with each other. Still 40 fps!