Show us a screenshot of what you're working on! page 24

645 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Everyone likes teleporter mazes, right?

I’m having an immediate flashback to the Castle of Ordeals in the original Final Fantasy.

Flag Post

Rewriting a past GiTD entry with new bitmap classes I wrote

Flag Post

Hello everyone, this is my first game(which means it’s pretty bad). You have to pick up treasures, fight enemies, reach portal to next dungeon floor and etc in randomly generated dungeon. I’m still making it so there are some missing/unfinished things.

Flag Post

Those graphics look really nice. Doing them yourself?

Flag Post

Those graphics look really nice. Doing them yourself?

Thanks. Yes, I’m doing it myself. Actually, in my opinion, graphic is far from perfect. But well, this is first try :)

Flag Post

I have been working on a game for the last couple of months and it has really been coming together. It is an action/adventure platformer. The level design was originally super meatboy-esque, but I have since made the game more oriented towards fighting. The level design still resembles games such as Super Meat Boy, however I toned down the difficulty a bit. I hope to have the game finished by the end of the month.

The shadow creature on the right had just dropped off the cliff as I took the screenshot, which is why he is facing away not trying to kill me.

The small mushroom is bounces the player when landed on, and the clouds disappear when stood on.

This is the skills tab of the menu. You get skill points from leveling up which you then spend on the skill tree.

The main problem I am having right now is engaging the player. Most people I have let play think it is fun but agree that something is missing, I don’t know if it is just lack of sounds or what, but something about the game just isn’t right. I’m not quite sure how to explain it. Hopefully I will figure it out though, I think I just need to find a way to improve the mood, which sounds should help accomplish.

I am trying to add some humor to it as a source of making the whole experience more enjoyable, but I just hope I don’t end up putting any failed humor that could be cringeworthy.

Flag Post

Looks really cool, kantieno.

Flag Post

in my opinion, graphic is far from perfect.

I think this tutorial would be very helpful for you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

Wow, nice resource.

Flag Post

Wow, nice resource.

Indeed.

Flag Post

That should be useful, thanks

Flag Post

So, I’ve been working pretty hard on my project, and I’m pretty darn happy with my progress:

As promised, I toned down the bloom. Do you think I’m overdoing it on the dynamic shadows though?

Flag Post

Thanks, I do have a small question though. The map in the upper left seems rather obtrusive, would it be beneficial to apply opacity to the map, or do you thing adding opacity to an object that size that will always be on screen impact fps too negatively? I have never been able to test the effect of opacity on frames reliably. Otherwise do you think the map should be fine as is, or do yall have any other suggestions?

Flag Post

It is much too complex. Have a simple representation of rooms involving more or less transparency and simple rectangles. Then on mouse over, expand the map to twice the size, so its fairly obvious where the player is.

Flag Post

You’re using shadow effects? Maybe you need to turn them up, because right now, I can’t even see them.

Flag Post

As promised, I toned down the bloom. Do you think I’m overdoing it on the dynamic shadows though?

Shadows look good to me, but I think you need to ramp up the light intensity.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

It is much too complex. Have a simple representation of rooms involving more or less transparency and simple rectangles. Then on mouse over, expand the map to twice the size, so its fairly obvious where the player is.

Hmmm, I am trying to decide what would be best to do, I just need to make sure that the player has a clear idea of where they are going. I would want to implement expanding the map on mouse over, however I have mouse hidden unless you are in the menu, since you just use the keyboard during regular gameplay. However I will try to find something that works.

Flag Post

@kantieno: Map toggle would be good. A 4-stage map switch would be better (hide, mini (only show rooms/exits, player’s location, and goal location(s), if any), small (about what you have now), and full screen detail with text). Personally, I wouldn’t want a mouse-over map unless the entire game was mouse-only. I’d prefer a key for map toggle/switch and a menu icon that performs the same funtion via mouse. You have room for it between what I assume is the radar thingy on the lower right (where it says “level 3”) and the health/whatever bars in the centre, or on the other side of the health/whatever bars (presumably where you’d place the mute/options button once you implement sfx/music).

Flag Post

The level’s design looks pretty solid, but I recommend putting a Lightning Gun on that balcony and moving the Flak Cannon down into the courtyard.

Flag Post

@dragon_of_celts

Sounds good, I will probably have it set up like this: 3 toggled states, off, small, and transparent, because of the way it is set up currently, I feel it would be better to not try and implement the “mini”. I will also have a map in the menu that shows all of the regions.

Flag Post

Kantieno that looks extremely good. Good luck.

Flag Post

A game that I am working on, I need to add tutorials, and sounds.. needs some polish and test. In few days Ill release it.

Flag Post

@zzulian It looks good so far! I suppose that you control the plane? (I say this because at first I thought it looked like a missile and I was not sure what the player controlled, but now I understand) If so, what is the control scheme? I have had a few bad experiences of playing plane oriented games. The controls made them hard to maneuver and made for a poor game. So the main thing I would recommend is to have a few people play it first and make sure that the controls are smooth (if you haven’t done so already). Other than that, the only thing I would recommend is a possible change in the graphic for the ground. When I look at the sceenshots, my attention is immediately brought to the ground instead of the action going on in the sky, this could be fixed by playing with the colors of the ground, making it lighter, less saturated, or less contrasting. I look forward to seeing the final version!

I finished the new hud the other week and ended up just making the map with three toggle-able states: full, transparent, and hidden. Transparent is the default. I did not get to implement some of the suggestions, due to the fact that I am running out of time (The final-final deadline is Oct 16). I did get to make it look nicer though. I finished all of the weapons and equipment over the past few days and now I just have to make all of the equipment-related graphics. After that I need to work on level design of the last two areas, implement work secrets, easter eggs, and eye candy. Along with a better story and tutorial. Then I will be about done.

New Hud

Also, I have a question about how yall handle attacking. If you made a platformer, would you make attacking an animation of the player or would yall create a seperate actor for the weapon? Would your method change if there were multiple weapons in the game?

Flag Post

Me and darkscanner have been finishing up on our old GiTD game:

Flag Post

User interface for my new game, what do you think?

level select:

main menu: