Show us a screenshot of what you're working on! page 14

664 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

To me, the “PLAY PLAY PLAY” thing sounds like a screaming advertisement. I dislike it. Maybe it goes with the game, I don’t know.

That’s what I was trying to say but I couldn’t find the words for it :s

 
Flag Post

Ah, what the heck.




I’ve been making self-replicating1 blocks in Minecraft that do all kinds of awful, terrible things to the landscape. The last one (the gif) is a block that spreads across the landscape (the black blocks, the texture is in debug mode) and then the central area plays a game of Life using the rules B3/S1234 with slight modifications. When the design stabilizes, it creates unbreakable bedrock walls from the surface all the way down to the bottom of the map, occasionally creating towers and such on the surface.

Project thread

1 Strictly speaking, most of them don’t “gray goo.” I just mean that they spread in various manners and cause various kinds of destruction.

 
Flag Post

What the… thats not a “game you are working on”
I’m confused…
(Btw, i realized that this post is, in itself, not a “game i am working on”)

 
Flag Post

No need to be such a stickler. It’s programming for a game so it fits in the forum, it contains pictures and they are pictures of what the poster is currently working on, so they fit the thread as well. Besides, self-replicating structures are cool.

 
Flag Post

Well, I’m working on;

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sketchy77/apocalypse-the-zombie-survival-sim-version-0-1

Problem is I can’t get it to work for everyone on all browsers. (Or everyone on one browser even)
Its doing my head in.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by sketchy77:

Well, I’m working on;

http://www.kongregate.com/games/sketchy77/apocalypse-the-zombie-survival-sim-version-0-1

Problem is I can’t get it to work for everyone on all browsers. (Or everyone on one browser even)
Its doing my head in.

That is the reason why I’m so hesitant to attempt HTML5 or any web development at all. Trying to account for all the differences between all the major browsers sounds like it’d be a massive pain.
 
Flag Post

To explain: This game is a parody of a videogames, kinda like Achievement Unlocked to achievements, Upgrade Complete to upgrades, Steamshovel Harry to long, forced tutorials, etc. This one’s a parody of preloaders.

Basically, the “game” begins loading, then freezes at around 20%. The game then zooms in onto the tip of the load bar. Your job is to push the load bar to 100% by increasing stats like “Bandwidth” and “Loading speed”, as well as summoning programs that help loading speed by pushing the tip of the loading bar (your loading speed slows down when doing so, though).

However, this game soon takes a turn for the difficult, as “Anti-loader” programs start appearing from the right side of the screen. Some of them will collide into your loading bar to temporarily halt it, others kill your programs, and some can even reverse the loading progress! Fortunately, you also have your own programs to drive them off.

In short, this game is kind of a linear-plane RTS of sorts.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

No need to be such a stickler. It’s programming for a game so it fits in the forum, it contains pictures and they are pictures of what the poster is currently working on, so they fit the thread as well. Besides, self-replicating structures are cool.

Not to mention I’m having a fcukign blast.

The maze block now takes a material modifier (Mystcraft plugin symbol pages hoodoo), as well:

In this case, iron ore.

 
Flag Post

Make a block which generates mushroom clouds of a random size.

Can’t think of any other ideas…

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Make a block which generates mushroom clouds of a random size.

Can’t think of any other ideas…

That’s not how this works.

You forget that all the blocks are acting the same way.1 They have different metadata which can change the behavior, but growing mushroom clouds is not feasible. Or useful (or detrimental).

1 Blocks are not instanced in minecraft! The map is actually more like a giant array of integers, and the game iterates through the ones that are getting updates, looks up their class (by the integer stored there) and determines what happens by running functions in the singleton.

 
Flag Post

Upside down growing trees?

 
Flag Post

Is anyone a fan of ye olde text adventure?

Writing it in JS since text is a low-end enough (no graffiks) to work universally without Flash dependence.

Oh, and since the traditional text adventure’s biggest blunder is overly strict interpretation of user input, here’s a codeshot of how I handle it. Praise the regex.

/(?:stand|get) up( properly)?|\w+ butt (?:off|from) ground/

Callbacks are also used heavily as booleans or even variables since they’re awesome, and in the case you fancy standing like a sir.

 
Flag Post

Ah good old text adventures :)

Seems cool that it’s not white text on a black background like the traditional ones, I hated that.

 
Flag Post

Here’s what I’ve been doing in my free time.

1.png

I’m trying to make some sort of 3D roguelike. Not sure where it’s going.

 
Flag Post

UA.png

 
Flag Post

Scrapped the whole scaling/placement system and rewrote it based on area available and it gave each ‘icon’ a certain area. The icon had to decide if that was enough room to only display the picture (and center it) or both picture and text (and center them) or just text (and center it) while also being told if it was allowed to remove either the picture or text.

A lot cleaner than it looked before!

 
Flag Post

My next game:

 
Flag Post

Did you make the tiles yourself? Because they certainly look pretty good.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Did you make the tiles yourself? Because they certainly look pretty good.

Nope my artist did.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Did you make the tiles yourself? Because they certainly look pretty good.

Nope my artist did.

If only I could find one who specialises in explosions and drawing wizards…
 
Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Upside down growing trees?

You keep thinking of a collection of blocks as a single object. “Trees” in minecraft are handled by a world gen function. A single function call that determines what shape to make the tree and place all of the wood blocks.

I can use one block to place multiple other blocks, but I can’t make things “grow” like trees as I have limited ability to determine the location of other blocks (I have to specifically request “what block is at position (x,y,z)?” and then figure out if it’s a block I care about, and what to do with that information).

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Upside down growing trees?

You keep thinking of a collection of blocks as a single object. “Trees” in minecraft are handled by a world gen function. A single function call that determines what shape to make the tree and place all of the wood blocks.

I can use one block to place multiple other blocks, but I can’t make things “grow” like trees as I have limited ability to determine the location of other blocks (I have to specifically request “what block is at position (x,y,z)?” and then figure out if it’s a block I care about, and what to do with that information).

Can you copy what a sapling does but invert the trees it generates when it “grows”? Or are saplings also part of world generation?
 
Flag Post

Kinda working towards a game, but these are more of tests on the physics engine I’m using.


Wave test.



A little test with Mario crumbling a block.

Lastly, a rope that can be dragged around. It acts a bit odd, though.

If you wanna try them out, here they are.

Test 1
Just an endless rotation of circles.
Test 2
Cool wave-like test.
Test 3
Just for fun, Mario slamming into a block that crumbles.
Test 4
An odd rope that you can drag around.

Sorry for such a long post. Heh-heh.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:
Can you copy what a sapling does but invert the trees it generates when it “grows”? Or are saplings also part of world generation?

I can copy that, but why? That doesn’t make for an effect that slowly destroys the world.

Originally posted by Vixivo:


Test 4
An odd rope that you can drag around.

Sorry for such a long post. Heh-heh.

Looks like you’re multiplying the force applied to each section by a value greater than one, which causes each segment to move farther than the previous segment, not less.

 
Flag Post

Still working on my zombie beat em up game, it’s coming across pretty neatly: