How good should my game be before I upload it to Kongregate?

34 posts

Flag Post

I use the free version of this software called Construct 2 . It makes HTML5 games, not Flash games, but it says it will work with Kongregate. I’m not a professional, and the game looks rather simple, but how good does my game have to be to put it on Kongregate? Will they accept just about any game (not counting viruses), or does it have to be very good before I put it online? It can be played here

Flag Post

If you’re proud of it, you think other people will enjoy it, go for it.

Bear in mind beginner games will get scathing comments and terrible ratings. Be ready to accept harsh criticism.

Having played your game, I think it could use a bit more work. But it’s your call.

Flag Post

That’s what I thought, too. I’ll probably put something up by the end of the month. Thanks.

Flag Post

As far as I know, any sort of game can be put on Kongregate. However, to get achievements, it needs Kong APIs. As far as I know, these can only be put in Flash, but they might also be able to be placed in HTML5, I’m not sure cause I’ve never tried. Also, just so you know, just because I said you can place any game on Kongregate, does not mean everybody will like it. The game I saw was very simple. Try working on it, and making it harder. The point of a game is to be fun, original and creative. If other people do not see it to be that, they will give you a low rating. Not a good way to go, I’m sure you’ll agree.

Flag Post

Sorry to say but your game is just too simple(I know that you’ve mentioned it but it is just “too” simple). It’d be good to make a few games for practice first (& don’t upload them on any portal), & after you’ve grasped a few concepts of making a good game you can start working on a project that you’ll upload. You can upload any type of game, even if it’s not a game. But that doesn’t mean that you should upload your first games that’ll make people totally avoid your games. even if they’re good.

Flag Post

Going to be brutally honest with you.
Upload that and you will get lots of hate.
Will be a miracle if avg rating is above 2/5
Sorry

Flag Post

I played it, and I think that it is rather challenging.
Before you put it on Kongregate, I recomend something like a background. Really, though,
If you are proud of what it is and it can be posted on this site, please post it, and because you care so much,
I’ll go to it and give it five stars. Just post its name and a link on my page.

Flag Post

What is that thing?
Green Plant Eater vs Cactus with a net?

Flag Post

If you have just finished learning the basics, and you are trying to make a game of yourself, I will be honest and say that I am proud of you. It takes time and patience to learn a coding language, and you have indeed jumped the first hurdle. I don’t know whether this game really expresses your actual level of coding, but if it does, you have a long way to go if you are building to impress others instead of yourself. If not, if you are proud of it, by all means post it. But if you are aiming to impress others, your game really is too simple. To say this in the nicest way possible, you need to improve your art. Try looking for free art, and if that fails, you could teach yourself. After improving your art, improve your game concept and difficulty level. Game concept- well! Using thorns and charge should not be the only forms of attack. Add a variety of attacks to choose from. Maybe make a special attack that needs to recharge. Difficulty- make the opponent attack back! He’s not just going to stand there and ‘take it like a man’- well, I wouldn’t! Also if you want to use the ‘thorn’ attack in the actual game, increase the distance between the player and opponent . The list of improvements goes on. This game has potential- it all depends on how you, the developer, shows this potential. Make this game original- this originality will be how people will remember you by. Well, if you finish this game, PM me. I would love to see how it turns out on the other side. Wishing you all the best, jasonjie88.

Flag Post

@jasonjie88 (first post): They are built-in with the software, so they should be able to work.
@ayumilove and jasonjie88 (second post): I didn’t make the drawings, see the website for the game Also, jasonjie88, what is PMing?
Also, it seems I can’t upload the game. I uploaded it, and it went to preview mode. Then, my computer crashed and it seems it says the name is taken. I was trying to make a deadline (I said I would get one uploaded by the end of the month), but I think I will extend that to the end of June.

Thanks,
Iggyvolz

Flag Post

As much as I know, Kongregate won’t let you upload a HTML5 game unless your game is just Super Cool. & Why’re you even uploading it?

Flag Post

Hi iggyvolz,

PMing is private messaging- sending an email sort of idea to another user of the site. You can do that sort of thing in My Messages.
Also, I have not really seen any other games in things other than Actionscript or Microsoft Visual C (C, C#, C++, etc.) Are you sure that the game will be accepted by the site? I mean, when I was starting to develop games, I found AS3 so hard cause I was in AS2 all the time, I switched to Game Maker 8. I am pretty sure that developed in HTML5, and Kongregate would not accept my game. I would be pretty careful about a game using HTML5. I would really suggest that you investigate. Talk it through with Greg (he’s the admin of the site, try looking for him in the development center.) If you can’t find him, try looking up what can be uploaded to Kongregate. I didn’t really find anything about HTML5 in there.
I really do hope you can upload the game, if you can’t, I suggest you try learning FlashDevelop so you can, or still use HTML5 and just keep making games until you can find another site that will find your game. Wishing you all the best, jasonjie88.

Flag Post

I’m trying the FlashDevelop software. It’s free, right?

Flag Post
Originally posted by iggyvolz:

I’m trying the FlashDevelop software. It’s free, right?

Yes, flashdevelop is free, and it’s a smart idea to try it. Generally, making a game with a code based software such as FD rather than that “construct2” you were using will get more respect, as using real code shows that you are a serious developer and not just playing around. As far as your main question, I suggest working on it a lot more if you intend to upload it. The others in this thread were right on the money when they talked about not uploading your first few games, as just uploading whatever you feel like loses you a lot of gamers, whereas uploading only your very best work will make people like you more and possibly earn you some fans.

Flag Post

Is there any tutorial for FlashDevelop? I’ve been working with it a half an hour and all I’ve gotten is a blank screen to pop up in Flash.

Flag Post

There are hundreds of tutorial for FlashDevelop just a google away (I checked myself)

Flag Post

Is there any tutorial for FlashDevelop? I’ve been working with it a half an hour and all I’ve gotten is a blank screen to pop up in Flash.

There’s going to be a bit of a learning curve to it if you’re used to the Adobe IDE since you can’t just plop crap onto the stage or scribble up a bunch of new symbols. I remember having similar frustrations when I first tried it out, but if you make friends with google and stick with it, you’ll get the hang of using it soon enough.

Flag Post

I’ve never heard of any IDE. I’ve just been using Construct 2.

Flag Post

Thanks, I think I’m going to need it. I’ve been stuck on this tutorial for about 45 minutes and I now messed it up so bad I have to start over.

Flag Post

How about that you download the free trial of Adobe Flash Pro and just try it out for 30 days and see if you like AS3 or not?

Flag Post

Took me about a day the first time to get a TextField with “Hello world!” to display properly on that white background. The good news is, it’s downhill all the way to the top from there! :)

Flag Post

Just a side note – I’ve finished the main battle part of the game. I’m doing it in Stencyl, which transforms it to flash. You can see it here and it should be done soon (I didn’t include the charge in the demo but it will be done for the full version).

Flag Post

You should make it so you don’t have to refresh the page to play again :)

Flag Post

Final version has been uploaded. What do you think? You don’t have to refresh to play again, and I changed the opponent so the battle would be easier for newcomers (It’s slower and has less health). I’m planning to make an unofficial “linking” of accounts so those who contribute to the wiki get bonuses for the game.

Flag Post

The game seems pretty pointless to me, I walked around a little, encounter a monster, attacked it, it didn’t seem to be able to attack me, and after I won I came back to the map. That seems to be it.