ACK! What do I need to have to do AS3?

5 posts

Flag Post

Ok.

I have got the demo licence for Mac Flash 8, and I can buy it if and when I need to.

But with the push to go to ActionScript 3 I’m debating going straight to that. (I’m a professional programmer, so the stronger type requirements, and packaging concepts don’t scare/bother me.. as much..)

I do a quick search online and find that ActionScript 3.0 was released with Adobe Flex 2.0 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActionScript) which seems to be the IDE I need to do this. But then checking into it, it seems that Flex is just a AS3 Compiler and it turns things into flash files. So If I use Flex do I need flash? There are a list of alternatives and it turns out that Flex 2.0 integrates into Eclipse, and Cold Fusion..

I’m starting to panic a bit looking at the price tag of just doing a bit of recreational game programming.

So really, What do I need to develop with AS3? and how much $$$?

All I really want is some IDE that gives me syntax highlighting, a good search and help menu (maybe tab completion functionality) that will let me compile SWF files that I can put on Kongregate. I have a list of AS tools I wanted to develop (a simple random number generator, a vector physics engine, etc)

Flag Post

I believe if you want to compile anything in as3 using art drawn in flash, you’ll need to get cs3. Flex 2 is purely code based.

Flag Post

Both Flex and Flash CS3 support AS3, but if you’re just looking for syntax highlighting and completion you might be better off with something like FlashDevelop (www.flashdevelop.org) — it’s a code editor program, and also has a SWF compiler add-on so you don’t even need Flash technically. It’s leaps and bounds beyond Flash’s built-in code editor, though I don’t think it has any AS3 documentation. You can always use Adobe’s LiveDocs online to get the documentation though.

If you’re only using FlashDevelop and not actually using Flash, though, you’d either have to rely completely on external bitmaps or draw vectors programmatically since it’s also purely code based.

Flag Post

Alright.. So I don’t need to get like 14 apps (at like $500 each) to do this.. I was starting to panic there.

Alright.. So I don’t need to get like 14 apps (at like $500 each) to do this.. I was starting to panic there.I guess I can try to ebay or amazon the Macromedia flash 8, then get the $200 upgrade to Adobe CS3 to go with AS3. (maybe if I’m lucky and as good as I think I am, I can use game winnings to pay for it even..) ;-]

Righto.. I might look at this flashdevelop, but I do like having immediate help available, I don’t know how I am going to get graphics in since I am not graphically inclined.. (fortunately I know a few people who are.. and I guess there are others on this site..)

Righto.. I might look at this flashdevelop, but I do like having immediate help available, I don’t know how I am going to get graphics in since I am not graphically inclined.. (fortunately I know a few people who are.. and I guess there are others on this site..)Any other advice ppl?

Flag Post

I would go with CS3. I do my coding in its built in editor. Its not the best but its built in documentation makes a quick pick up on stuff. You can do purely code or pure ‘art’ w/ CS3. I’m not that graphically inclined either, and personally I do my drawing in Photoshop and then bring my images over, but if you want an artist for your program just advertise your need on sites like this, and you will have a handful of people willing to do it