Dear game producers,

45 posts

Flag Post

I don’t know anything about programming.
And I don’t care.
But I won’t play your game,
If you don’t put in “mute.”
The faster I can access it, the more likely I am to actually play your game.
I’m not alone. There are plenty like me.
Just put in mute.
Not just music,
I also don’t want to hear any stupid little sounds.

Flag Post

Amen.

Flag Post

Completely agree. I want a mute button before the preloader even appears. I hate the armour games sword clanking BS. And worse is that f-ing preloader with the guy that throws things, what every that company is called.. Everything should be muted by default.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BigJM:

And worse is that f-ing preloader with the guy that throws things, what every that company is called..

MoFunZone. xD

Flag Post

Well, general sponsorships usually require a specific type of branding. Depends on the requirements.

Flag Post

Dear players,

I don’t know what games you play.
And I don’t care.
But in the bottom right corner of your screen,
There is a “mute” button.
It’s on your taskbar right next to the time and date, so you can access it quickly and turn off all sound by default.
You’re not alone. There are plenty of others like you.
Who couldn’t tell their “mute” button from a hole in the ground.
And complain about sounds.
In stupidly typed lines,
And I’m tired of your constant whining, you little crybabies.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

Dear players,

I don’t know what games you play.
And I don’t care.
But in the bottom right corner of your screen,
There is a “mute” button.
It’s on your taskbar right next to the time and date, so you can access it quickly and turn off all sound by default.
You’re not alone. There are plenty of others like you.
Who couldn’t tell their “mute” button from a hole in the ground.
And complain about sounds.
In stupidly typed lines,
And I’m tired of your constant whining, you little crybabies.

Maybe they are listening to music and don’t want to mute everything? I know Win7 allows muting of the browser, but that’s no excuse for not implementing a mute button.

Flag Post

Re-read the original complaint: he doesn’t just want a mute button, he wants a mute button that precedes as much of the rest as possible. It’s either “I’m so important that my personal convenience trumps everything else, so get out of your way to cater your free games to me personally, slave” which is the kind of entitled attitude I just cannot abide, or “I’m playing at school/work and for whatever reason have to keep the sound on my device on. But I don’t want to be caught by my teacher/boss so games that make any noise are a liability to me”, to which I reply, “tough luck. If you get in trouble for playing games while you should be working, you have only yourself to blame. Don’t try and make me your accomplice, I despise people like you. Grow a spine and take responsibility for your actions.”

Plus you’ll have to admit that the formatting of the OP was particularly grating.

Flag Post

Agree with Jeopardize’s analysis

The idea is to give players an entertaining experience

Turning Ace_blue’s comment around, the issue can be re-interpreted as: if you want to risk player satisfaction, then that’s the choice of the developer, who will need to ‘take responsibility for their actions’

Flag Post

Although I agree with the point that games should have a mute button, I want to note that some players are impossible to please

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

Although I agree with the point that games should have a mute button, I want to note that some players are impossible to please

Yowzah…

Flag Post

Someone hire this man in game design!

Flag Post

A mute button never hurt anyone. But this attitude is totally unacceptable:

But I won’t play your game, If you don’t put in “mute.”

I don’t even think I need to explain why.

Flag Post

I often won’t play a game without a mute button. Why is that unacceptable?

Flag Post

People like that are exactly why I made the “mute” button in my nyan cat idle game turn the music back on at 2x volume after several seconds. ;) (Of course, there’s an option to disable the trolling effect, but not everyone was able to figure that out)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

Re-read the original complaint: he doesn’t just want a mute button, he wants a mute button that precedes as much of the rest as possible. It’s either “I’m so important that my personal convenience trumps everything else, so get out of your way to cater your free games to me personally, slave” which is the kind of entitled attitude I just cannot abide, or “I’m playing at school/work and for whatever reason have to keep the sound on my device on. But I don’t want to be caught by my teacher/boss so games that make any noise are a liability to me”, to which I reply, “tough luck. If you get in trouble for playing games while you should be working, you have only yourself to blame. Don’t try and make me your accomplice, I despise people like you. Grow a spine and take responsibility for your actions.”

Plus you’ll have to admit that the formatting of the OP was particularly grating.

I feel like as a developer, if you’re too lazy to implement a mute button, you shouldn’t be making games. Many times I want to listen to Pandora, but not the sounds of a game. For this reason, they need a mute button. There are other reasons too – performance, having multiple games open at once, etc. The goal of a developer is to make games people like. It’s not the goal of players to like crappy games developers make.

Flag Post

Nothing wrong with having a mute button. All I’m saying is that, as far as I’m concerned, “mute” belongs in “options”, along with “configure keys” and “reset save data”, not before the sponsor screen as some would have you believe.

Besides, if one is making free flash games for money one’s customers are the sponsors, not the players. The sponsors are happier if the game gets played so they get hits, but making idiots play one’s game should not be one’s first goal. Pleasing the sponsors so one gets more money is the goal.

Flag Post

I think the best approach is a compromise between players, sponsors, and game designers.

Opening ads are going to have noise, like the annoying armor games clanking swords crap. This is the way it is with big disc bearing PC install games though. So get over it players and game designers. Or don’t be sponsored or advertise anything.

Game designers need to have a easy to find button within their game that mutes all sound. Bonus points for a choice of turning off music, turning off sound, and a slider for both that allow you to choose a particular volume.
If they have all that, they almost better have a mute button that can be accessible in-game as well.
MY ONLY complaint about this is that they always bleeping make the sound of their ad about 10x as bleeping loud as the game sound. So even if my computer is at a reasonable volume, I have to turn it down before hand or get the bleep scared out of me. > : D

I like to listen to my itunes, pandora, or a youtube playlist while playing games. Muting my music all because of some stupid games wonky noise is not cool. And as a game developer, I made a mute button very quickly because of this. Not because the music or sound fx are bad, but because its not fun to have to close out of my tunes or be bombarded by a horrible collision of sound.

Flag Post
Originally posted by alecz127:

MY ONLY complaint about this is that they always bleeping make the sound of their ad about 10x as bleeping loud as the game sound. So even if my computer is at a reasonable volume, I have to turn it down before hand or get the bleep scared out of me. > : D

That’s just how advertisers work. They make the ads loud so that their content is as attention-grabbing as possible. You actually can see this phenomenon in commercial television as well, and I doubt advertisers and sponsors would be too happy with developers who muted or reduced the volume of their ads and logos.

Don’t get me wrong, I think having an easily-accessible mute function is just good design, but players need to remember that these games are available to them for free because of those loud, annoying ads and clanky logos. If they can’t get past something like that, then maybe free flash games aren’t for them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

That’s just how advertisers work. They make the ads loud so that their content is as attention-grabbing as possible. You actually can see this phenomenon in commercial television as well, and I doubt advertisers and sponsors would be too happy with developers who muted or reduced the volume of their ads and logos.

Don’t get me wrong, I think having an easily-accessible mute function is just good design, but players need to remember that these games are available to them for free because of those loud, annoying ads and clanky logos. If they can’t get past something like that, then maybe free flash games aren’t for them.

I’m generally against advertisements as a whole. If we had a few laws in place here and there we could still grab them by the soft parts and have them advertise on our terms, and have free flash games. I believe the general belief that we are powerless to accept anything but the choices laid out for us is a large part of why America is falling apart.

Flag Post

I have the solution to this. I’m making the mute button paid DLC content in all my games from now on.

I’m generally against advertisements as a whole. If we had a few laws in place here and there we could still grab them by the soft parts and have them advertise on our terms, and have free flash games.

And what would those terms be?

Flag Post

I have the solution to this. I’m making the mute button paid DLC content in all my games from now on.

I’m generally against advertisements as a whole. If we had a few laws in place here and there we could still grab them by the soft parts and have them advertise on our terms, and have free flash games.

And what would those terms be?

hahaha paid DLC. You know, I think I’d rather buy a mute button than horse armor any day.
And I wouldn’t be harsh about the terms. Nothing gory, violent, sexual like it already is to a degree, but I wouldn’t allow them to have volume to their ads any higher than a certain decibal. Among other constraits to make sure theres no loophole that allows them to have obnoxiously loud commercials.
The only other thing is I wouldn’t allow them to program it in a way that forces the viewer to watch/listen to it. Youtube is pretty sneaky about that, I’ve caught their advertisements trying to hide my mouse lately. If I didn’t know that right clicking would let me see my mouse, I’d probably would have been forced to watch a few of the ads in full without being able to even skip them.
Thats all for advertisements within flash games/programs. Unless I’m forgetting something direly important to the cause of equal partnership between advertisement and advertise-ee-.

Flag Post

Something that I have always wondered- why can’t sponsors just place the stickers on the game and leave it at that? I mean, people have to see the stickers to play the game, so really the sound is optional. Why do they add the sound?

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

Something that I have always wondered- why can’t sponsors just place the stickers on the game and leave it at that? I mean, people have to see the stickers to play the game, so really the sound is optional. Why do they add the sound?

Probably the same reason they add pictures/art/color to it instead of just simply displaying a black-and-white, 12-font Times New Roman text of their website name. Whether or not it does for you, the sound’s supposed to add add a little more flare and interest.

Also after scrolling through the OP’s fun-to-read game comments (ty saybox), the first one I found that was quite positive about a perfect game, I played it. Turns out I couldn’t find a mute button. That was pretty funny.

EDIT: Nvm, I found the mute button. Had to press ‘M’. It slowly fades out.

Flag Post

I love it when people ask for mute buttons on game based around music.