Scratch

8 posts

Flag Post

I use a program called ‘Scratch’ to create Games, Animations, Simulators, & More! Whether if you are a new programmer, or an experienced one, Scratch is a really great for programming!
Anyone here a Scratch member?

Flag Post

My friend used to be, then I introduced him to AS3. IMO scratch is a really bad tool if you want to make real games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

My friend used to be, then I introduced him to AS3. IMO scratch is a really bad tool if you want to make real games.

Scratch isn’t that bad. :P
IMO, I think it’s very useful.
But I’m aware if the advantages & disadvantages. :/

Flag Post

I think of scratch as more of a babies first steps. Very useful to get into programming, but (if I’m correct), can’t you only post it on MIT’s network?
Eitherway, stencyl has the idea based off scratch, and I think that stencyl is better because you can actually do real programming in it. However, I don’t condone upon scratch. Many of those in the stencyl forums have some experience from scratch, or would be able to have experience just from using stencyl.

Flag Post

Scratch can really be used for programming beginners, & experts. However, once someone masters Scratch (which I have), the next step would be either move on to Stencyl, or create your own programming language with the Scratch Source Code (which people have done). The main website where projects can be uploaded is the Scratch Website, but once you upload it there, you can embed it as a picture or an applet, & post it on your own websites.

Though I’m not sure if Scratcg Projects can be posted on Kongregate. :/

Flag Post

Look, the reason people want to use stuff like Scratch is because they don’t want to invest time in learning programming and code. There are easy tutorials out there that anybody can learn from.

But the thing is, if you aren’t willing to do that, I can guarantee you that your game will be crappy and boring. A person who can’t be bothered to put effort into learning how to make games isn’t going to bother to put effort into the games either. Programs like Scrach aren’t really bad or evil, but they are a symptom of a disease which is very bad and evil.

Just think about it. No person thinks that they can paint great paintings without actually bothering to learn how to paint. No person thinks that they can compose great songs without actually learning how to make music. No person thinks that they can build great houses without learning about construction work.

But somehow, people got the idea that they should be able to make games without having to learn how to make games. They want a machine that they can just tell how the game should be like and have the machine work for them. This will never exist, ever. And people need to understand that.

Flag Post

See, it’s not like I’ll stay on Scratch forever.
Plus, I’m also learning how to code using Codecademy! (http://www.codecademy.com/)

Flag Post

That’s great!

But I don’t really think you should ever need Scratch. ActionScript is already a noob friendly language aimed at people who have little to no programming experience.

It’s easy to think that “I’ll start out with Scratch and then graduate to real programming”, but all you are doing is handicapping yourself and wasting time. It’s like saying “I’ll start out with Tony Hawk games and then graduate to real skateboarding”.