Cross-platform design?

16 posts

Flag Post

I’m looking to create a game that can be played both here and on mobile devices, like androids and iPhones. Trouble is, I hear iPhones can’t run Flash. What would one use, if not Flash?

Game concept is a platformer, btw.

Flag Post

Screw people using iPhones. They payd so much just to not get compatibility with flash. Remember all the android users out there!

And yeah what formats can you upload? Unity. (Javascript (html (5?)))? Java?

Flag Post

iPhones don’t run Flash files but Flash can make iPhone files via Adobe AIR, so no problem there.

Having played a fair few platformers on my phone though, I’d advise against making one. By and large, the control system for them sucks on a touchscreen. However, if you’re a design genius and have a new innovative way of doing it to make it fun, I’ll be your first buyer ;)

Flag Post

The main issue is that it’s gonna run horribly slow. If you plan on using MovieClips and whatnot you can just forget about it.

Flag Post

HaaaaaaaaaaXe

Flag Post

If your programming correctly you can use NME with Haxe as TF mentioned.

Flag Post

Or you can use HaXe without NME, which is probably better.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

Or you can use HaXe without NME, which is probably better.

Well there aren’t any graphical APIs with hxcpp without NME, which sucks.

Flag Post

Which is why you build your own! Which doesn’t suck!

Flag Post

Thanks for the insight. My colleague and I were hoping to make as much cash as possible over the summer by uploading to multiple platforms, but it appears that’s not really feasible with the game concept we have in mind. So, it’ll go here alone instead!

In any case, we’ll try and brainstorm ideas for what kind of mobile games we’d like to develop.

Flag Post

Starling is also an option. In my opinion it’s probably the best option

Flag Post

Flash can publish to iOS, but only as an app, not as an in-browser thing.

In any case, if you’re doing cross-platform….don’t. You might as well develop for one platform, then completely rebuild the program from the ground up for the other. I’ve been having to do this a lot with Unity, as well (to be fair, my dual-development with this one Unity project was because they wanted two different builds and they ended up being so different as to require script changes; couldn’t compartmentalize via scenes).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Flash can publish to iOS, but only as an app, not as an in-browser thing.

In any case, if you’re doing cross-platform….don’t. You might as well develop for one platform, then completely rebuild the program from the ground up for the other. I’ve been having to do this a lot with Unity, as well (to be fair, my dual-development with this one Unity project was because they wanted two different builds and they ended up being so different as to require script changes; couldn’t compartmentalize via scenes).

Hey man old bumper.

Flag Post
Originally posted by qwerber:

Hey man old bumper.

Actually, it wasn’t me. The thread was only 3 days old when I replied to it.
(Check the date of the post just above mine)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

Hey man old bumper.

Actually, it wasn’t me. The thread was only 3 days old when I replied to it.
(Check the date of the post just above mine)

Sorry, I mean to say the guy is an old bumper no need reply.

Flag Post

Sorry, I mean to say the guy is an old bumper no need reply.

While true, I hadn’t noticed at the time.