Getting Info from the Kong API's

9 posts

Flag Post

I’ve been thinking of a few things.

I know that you can get the Kong Username through the apis that are available (I guess it pulls that from the chat window?)

And I also know that there is code to pull the high scores for a given player (using the above call as well I suspect) for the game that is being played.

What I am wondering has to do with the (Currently non-existent) Save Game API, or maybe someone can come up with a solution using existing apis, that I don’t see. Maybe there are other calls to the Kong API’s that let us get data from the Kong environment.

I was thinking about the level gen games. (ie. Hexiom) I would like to make it so users can create one level each, but have it available for everyone to play. In other words, with Hexiom, instead of msging people “Oh Try 349872239847239847238922978362 etc” When someone plays the game they would have a menu where they can try out levels generated by other players. (vote on them, leave comments.. etc) While the Creator of the game can have an ‘admin’ like access (maybe like in the statistics page) to manage the user created levels.

I’m thinking I would make a game, with say 10-20 levels, but a level editor. open it up to the Kong Public, let everyone play various levels, vote on what they like the most (one vote per game per user) then as a reward to the level creators I would pick some to add to the core game. (which would allow the winners to create new levels as well)

Maybe use the high score api to store a string (like Hexiom) which is the code for a level?

Flag Post

I believe a level sharing API is intended for later. Currently, statistics are stored as signed integers on the server (according to what I’ve been told), so theres only so much you can do with the current system.

Flag Post

From what you are told Arcane?… Huh.. and I thought you were Jim Greer. I guess you don’t work for Kongregate then?

<thoughts>All high scores are stored as signed ints eh? … Hmm.. I wonder how much support AS2 has for bitwise operations. …… Nope.. that’s not going to work. not enough possibilities with an Int. </thoughts>

Flag Post

BenV (Kongregate programmer) told me the other day, since I’m working on the client side AS3 API. No, I’m not Jim ;)

Flag Post

Client side? Does that mean it’s this close to being done? Release date?

Flag Post

I’m working on a game right now that uses a level editor. In the game, I represent a playing field of hexagons by using a multidimensional array, and each data element in the array is a single-digit number. So if your levels were similar, and you knew exactly how many elements were in each “row” of the array, you could store a large number and then convert it to a string, then use the string operators to get the individual numbers back out. The only problem would be the upper limits of an Int in whatever server-side language is storing the data (PHP? Ruby on Rails? I don’t know…), which is definitely not going to be large enough to store such a grotesquely huge number. Well it was worth suggesting anyway.

Probably best to wait for level sharing the API, lol.

Flag Post

Indie, yeah the integer boundries are what would create a big limitation.

Client side? Does that mean it’s this close to being done? Release date?

Client = the part that the game client interacts with. The mediator client and the server side are staying the same.

If I had a for sure release date, we would announce it. I dont. however, its almost done. Its already usable, I’m just working on the final implementations for developers.

Flag Post

I knew what client side meant, i was just wondering what the underlying meanings it had were.

Flag Post

Indie: Actually the example was Hexiom. But for what I was thinking about doing was a level designer for a side scroller game, where I think the size of the levels would be even at a minimum too large. Minimum screen size say 640-480 pixels with lets say 15 (20-20) tiles gives us 15^(32*24) which is pretty big.

Nope, I guess you are right, I’ll have to wait until the level sharing api, or do the game without it.

So.. to finalize my question. Are there other API functions that let us peek under the Kongregate skirts? (metaphorically speaking of course, because my wife would kill me)
We can get the Kongregate UserName, and their high scores for our game..