[Rant] 10 Reasons Why I Dislike Unity (as a Developer) page 2 (locked)

84 posts

Flag Post

3)there are plenty of languages for .net.

4) why would you even want to extend GameObject? What do you mean with it’s statically typed? do you mean it can’t be subclassed? could be, i’ve never tried, because it would be pointless.

5) here’s your indexOf, but with capital I and untested because i’m a bastard:

public static class ArrayExtensions
{
public static int IndexOf(this object[] array, object obj)
{
for(int i = 0; i < array.Length; i++) if(Equals(array[i], obj)) return i;
return -1;
}
}

11) Start is not really overriding anything, it just will be called if it’s implemented.

13) i’m a bastard, not a donkey!

i fear the shift key and try not to use it, except when writing method names

Flag Post

4) why would you even want to extend GameObject? What do you mean with it’s statically typed? do you mean it can’t be subclassed? could be, i’ve never tried, because it would be pointless.

Why would it be pointless? I’m pretty sure I can come up with at least three good reasons why I’d want to.

Flag Post

the idea behind components is that the gameObject itself is just a container, nothing more. you add functionality by adding components. so why would you want to change the container? i’m really curious why you want to subclass it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

… long rant about Monodevelop…

1) Most of this comes down to you lacking sufficient development background, and/or not understanding what you are working with. The fact that you lament Monodevelop not supporting JavaScript just screams ‘inexperience’ as no serious developer is going to actually work in JavaScript. It also shows that you are completely unaware that “JavaScript” in Unity isn’t JavaScript. It’s MonoScript or UnityScript or some similarly named scripting language that bears a syntax similarity to JavaScript, but is not JavaScript. Anyone with any experience with JavaScript will tell you what Unity uses is not JavaScript.

2) You need to use the manual more. UI is fairly easy to implement using the various Layout methods. And you clearly are fairly new to Unity if you haven’t figured out how to force the camera to display the aspect and resolution of your build target.

3) Static Unity classes all have Leading Caps. If you don’t understand this convention, or why they do it, or the benefits from doing it this way, then you have a lot to learn about development still.

4) illustrates that you don’t understand how to cache properly. If you knew how to cache your references, this would not be an issue (and your code would get a bit more legible as well)

5) There are IndexOf() methods, but only for the correct data structures. You apparently don’t understand the underlying data structures in Unity, nor how to choose which one and for what purpose.

6) Monodevelop does “code hinting” just fine. BUT part of the reason it doesn’t work as well for “javascript” is because javascript is an untyped language, which makes code completion a lot more difficult. You should be working in C# anyway. It is a strongly typed language, which allows the compiler to assist the developer in debugging and catching errors, and also enables more powerful code completion in mono.

7) Is done by design for the purposes of assisting in development testing.

8) is completely non sequiter. Unity doesn’t DO 3D modelling, so why are you bitching about it? Again, if you were a serious developer, you would either 1] have someone doing your 3d assets for you, 2] buy your 3d assets, 3] learn to make your own rudimentary assets, or 4] just use primitives and focus on building solid game play.

9) UV unwrapping also isn’t a Unity funciton. It’s a 3d modelling function. Get Maya, or something and do it there. Unity isn’t supposed to do those thing.

10), see #8 and #9.

I don’t mean to be harsh, but a lot of what you are complaining about is pebcak. Look into getting more background in development, and reading the Unity Reference Manual a lot more, and you’ll find a lot of these supposed ‘issues’ aren’t really issues at all.

Good luck

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mad_Machine:
Originally posted by Draco18s:

… long rant about Monodevelop…

1) Most of this comes down to you lacking sufficient development background, and/or not understanding what you are working with. The fact that you lament Monodevelop not supporting JavaScript just screams ‘inexperience’ as no serious developer is going to actually work in JavaScript. It also shows that you are completely unaware that “JavaScript” in Unity isn’t JavaScript. It’s MonoScript or UnityScript or some similarly named scripting language that bears a syntax similarity to JavaScript, but is not JavaScript. Anyone with any experience with JavaScript will tell you what Unity uses is not JavaScript.

2) You need to use the manual more. UI is fairly easy to implement using the various Layout methods. And you clearly are fairly new to Unity if you haven’t figured out how to force the camera to display the aspect and resolution of your build target.

3) Static Unity classes all have Leading Caps. If you don’t understand this convention, or why they do it, or the benefits from doing it this way, then you have a lot to learn about development still.

4) illustrates that you don’t understand how to cache properly. If you knew how to cache your references, this would not be an issue (and your code would get a bit more legible as well)

5) There are IndexOf() methods, but only for the correct data structures. You apparently don’t understand the underlying data structures in Unity, nor how to choose which one and for what purpose.

6) Monodevelop does “code hinting” just fine. BUT part of the reason it doesn’t work as well for “javascript” is because javascript is an untyped language, which makes code completion a lot more difficult. You should be working in C# anyway. It is a strongly typed language, which allows the compiler to assist the developer in debugging and catching errors, and also enables more powerful code completion in mono.

7) Is done by design for the purposes of assisting in development testing.

8) is completely non sequiter. Unity doesn’t DO 3D modelling, so why are you bitching about it? Again, if you were a serious developer, you would either 1] have someone doing your 3d assets for you, 2] buy your 3d assets, 3] learn to make your own rudimentary assets, or 4] just use primitives and focus on building solid game play.

9) UV unwrapping also isn’t a Unity funciton. It’s a 3d modelling function. Get Maya, or something and do it there. Unity isn’t supposed to do those thing.

10), see #8 and #9.

I don’t mean to be harsh, but a lot of what you are complaining about is pebcak. Look into getting more background in development, and reading the Unity Reference Manual a lot more, and you’ll find a lot of these supposed ‘issues’ aren’t really issues at all.

Good luck

TBH you are in no position to question someones “developing experience”.
Draco is a vet in these forums and I’m positive he has more than enough dev experience. Not to mention you shouldn’t be critiquing others experience when you know close to nothing about them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mad_Machine:

[…] no serious developer is going to actually work in JavaScript. […]
Anyone with any experience with JavaScript will tell you what Unity uses is not JavaScript.

Yeah, but why would you listen to them? They aren’t serious developers.

Seriously, serious developer is serious:

σ σ
 _

Flag Post

No sh*t Unity doesn’t do modeling or UV Unwrapping. I wasn’t asking for Unity to perform those functions, which just goes to show that you don’t actually understand my complaint at all.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by jheiling:

removed

OH MAN. You haven’t seen some of the stuff I’ve made, have you?

Oh sure, it’s not coded 100% perfect, but then, nothing is.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:

TBH you are in no position to question someones “developing experience”.
Draco is a vet in these forums and I’m positive he has more than enough dev experience. Not to mention you shouldn’t be critiquing others experience when you know close to nothing about them.

removed

If anyone came of as a fool in this thread it was you. There was no reason for you to step in and be a complete jerk to ANYONE for ANY REASON. Feel free to step in and correct someone, but going as far as calling someone a script-kiddie/noob/etc is just a complete jerk move. Please, before you post again go read the Conduct Guidelines

And when you are done with that, go ahead and go talk to someone about how to conduct yourself.

Flag Post

Experience does not give you the right to harass people.

You can argue all you want, providing you do it civilly.

Flag Post

Ok, I’m sorry if my words against him were as harsh as his words against Unity. It was just my intention to inform the people that Drako doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I think someone had to. But if you all agree that this forum should be a place were misinformation should be quietly tolerated, were nonsense of every kind should be respectfully treated, well then good luck to all. You know what you will get in the end… lots of people like this guy on another thread who was asking me if I was on meth because I was recommending C# and .net instead of C and the win32 api. They feel save here I guess.

Flag Post

Am I the only one who set up Notepad++ for Unity?
I agree that MonoDevelop is a piece of shit, but 1 google would give you at least a dozen of different options (one probably being your favorite editor).

And yes 2D things are horrible, because it’s a 3D engine. As for GUI, use the built in GUI stuff. It’s far from perfect, but actually does the job pretty well. Took me a while to get used to, but after spending an afternoon properly using it, you kinda get used to it (Also, GUI stuff calculates everything from top-right, like it should).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aceria620:

I agree that MonoDevelop is a piece of shit, but 1 google would give you at least a dozen of different options (one probably being your favorite editor).

VisualStudio is pretty sweet. In fact it’s the best IDE I’ve seen so far for any language.

Flag Post

VisualStudio is by far the slowest IDE I’ve ever used.
I use Notepad++ for pretty much everything besides AS.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

VisualStudio is by far the slowest IDE I’ve ever used.

You’re right, but it’s fast enough on a new €400,- notebook. And it sets the standard for auto complete and formatting features. Plus it’s absolutely painless to set up and use.

Flag Post

Use ConTEXT, bro. You can also link compilers. Learnt about it when I was learning UnrealScript. Really good, too. Comes with pre-installed languages. Including C, C#, C++, Perl and Python (I think).

Flag Post

Sublime Text 2 is pretty nice for some things (I think it’s great for Ruby on Rails). I think VS is good at what it does (and the newest version is significantly faster). Notepad++ is a pretty nice text editor, but it doesn’t really compare to ST2.

Flag Post
Sublime Text 2 may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use. (…) $59

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:
Sublime Text 2 may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use. (…) $59

However, if you need a long time to try out the program, it’s fine. It has a WinRar model pricing plan.

Flag Post

<bl

VisualStudio is pretty sweet. In fact it’s the best IDE I’ve seen so far for any language.

O_o
facepalm counter: IIII

Flag Post

I’ve found Visual Studio to be an acceptable work environment. In fact VS 2012 looks pretty sweet. Lot of nice handy features in it. It’s worked great for GDR serverside development.

Sublime Text 2 is amazing as well. I’ve been using that for php/html/js coding for the last few days and its simply awesome. I’ll buy buying the program for sure.

Flag Post

Drako

Who?

And yes 2D things are horrible, because it’s a 3D engine. As for GUI, use the built in GUI stuff. It’s far from perfect, but actually does the job pretty well. Took me a while to get used to, but after spending an afternoon properly using it, you kinda get used to it (Also, GUI stuff calculates everything from top-right, like it should).

GUI causes more problems than it solves, IMO. A second camera and 10,000 triangles is less CPU/GPU intensive than an empty OnGUI() {}

Flag Post

<bl

O_o

What are you using? Please explain, facepalm counter is not a valid argument.

Flag Post

<bl

O_o

What are you using? Please explain, facepalm counter is not a valid argument.

Facepalm Counter is always a valid argument. :)

Anyways, atm I’m not programming C++, but when I used to I did not like the IDE. I’m not saying it’s BAD or anything, I just certainly think it’s not the best one. But thats my opinion, maybe it’s gotten better in the newer versions. Visual C# seems to work pretty well for serverside coding, so as long as they don’t screw it up I’ll be fine.