[Rant] 10 Reasons Why I Dislike Unity (as a Developer) page 3 (locked)

84 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by RTL_Shadow:
Originally posted by jheiling:

<bl

Originally posted by Aceria620:

Am I the only one who set up Notepad++ for Unity?
I agree that MonoDevelop is a piece of shit, but 1 google would give you at least a dozen of different options (one probably being your favorite editor).

VisualStudio is pretty sweet. In fact it’s the best IDE I’ve seen so far for any language.

O_o
facepalm counter: IIII

What are you using? Please explain, facepalm counter is not a valid argument.

Facepalm Counter is always a valid argument. :)

Anyways, atm I’m not programming C++, but when I used to I did not like the IDE. I’m not saying it’s BAD or anything, I just certainly think it’s not the best one. But thats my opinion, maybe it’s gotten better in the newer versions. Visual C# seems to work pretty well for serverside coding, so as long as they don’t screw it up I’ll be fine.

Well, VisualStudio handles C++, C#, Visual BASIC, web stuff (HTML/JS/CSS), F#, and maybe some more. Also, VS is loaded with tons of powerful features (especially the higher versions). What do you prefer for C++ curiously? The new visual studio uses fuzzy matching for its auto-completion, which is a huge improvement you would like I think.

Flag Post

tbh, I would probably use Visual studio. I guess the way I meant to word that is that when I used it, it had some annoying problems. And probably my bad experiences with Visual Basic stained my view on Visual Studio. Not it’s fault though.

Flag Post

I still don’t get why it has to be that slow.
I think I’d rather figure out how to use that monster IDE I have for ShortTalk (and learn ST) than using VS again. >_>

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:
8) is completely non sequiter. Unity doesn’t DO 3D modelling, so why are you bitching about it? Again, if you were a serious developer, you would either 1] have someone doing your 3d assets for you, 2] buy your 3d assets, 3] learn to make your own rudimentary assets, or 4] just use primitives and focus on building solid game play.

9) UV unwrapping also isn’t a Unity funciton. It’s a 3d modelling function. Get Maya, or something and do it there. Unity isn’t supposed to do those thing.

No sh*t Unity doesn’t do modeling or UV Unwrapping. I wasn’t asking for Unity to perform those functions, which just goes to show that you don’t actually understand my complaint at all.

Then why are you complaining that it doesn’t do it? Hammers aren’t designed to turn screws. Do you complain about that too?

Considering your complaint was “Reasons why I dislike Unity…. 8) asset creation 9) UV unwrapping. and… 10) Texture creation.” I guess you just weren’t clear enough.

Flag Post

TBH you are in no position to question someones “developing experience”.
Draco is a vet in these forums and I’m positive he has more than enough dev experience. Not to mention you shouldn’t be critiquing others experience when you know close to nothing about them.

meh. whatever. most of what he was complaining about is pebcak anyway. Sorry if your/his feelings got hurt.

Flag Post

Ok, I’m sorry if my words against him were as harsh as his words against Unity. It was just my intention to inform the people that Drako doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I think someone had to. But if you all agree that this forum should be a place were misinformation should be quietly tolerated, were nonsense of every kind should be respectfully treated, well then good luck to all. You know what you will get in the end… lots of people like this guy on another thread who was asking me if I was on meth because I was recommending C# and .net instead of C and the win32 api. They feel save here I guess.

FWIW, Draco and his minion RTL_Shadow jumped all over me for basically pointing out the same thing. It’s pretty obvious RTL_Shadow is just backing up his friend, and equally obvious that Draco, as a developer, doesn’t really know what he’s doing (wrt Unity and oo concepts anyway). Oh well.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mad_Machine:

Then why are you complaining that it doesn’t do it? Hammers aren’t designed to turn screws. Do you complain about that too?

Considering your complaint was “Reasons why I dislike Unity…. 8) asset creation 9) UV unwrapping. and… 10) Texture creation.” I guess you just weren’t clear enough.

You actually, legitimately, don’t understand the complaint. I am not complaining that my hammer doesn’t turn screws. I’m complaining that my pre-fab bookshelve comes with a hammer, but also needs a screwdriver and that the scewdriver was not included.

FWIW, Draco and his minion RTL_Shadow

Minion? I have a minion?
Sweet.
Welcome to the Bluehorns Army, RTL_Shadow!

In all seriousness, we don’t really know each other. See each other around the forums, sure. But not friends.

Flag Post

You actually, legitimately, don’t understand the complaint. I am not complaining that my hammer doesn’t turn screws. I’m complaining that my pre-fab bookshelve comes with a hammer, but also needs a screwdriver and that the scewdriver was not included.

FWIW, Draco and his minion RTL_Shadow

Minion? I have a minion?
Sweet.
Welcome to the Bluehorns Army, RTL_Shadow!

In all seriousness, we don’t really know each other. See each other around the forums, sure. But not friends.

Yes master Draco. I shall be gladly accepted into the Bluehorns Army.

Do you guys have cookies?

Flag Post

On the topic of IDEs.
Flash is OK.
-Most stuff works well but autocomplete/code hints is pretty bad. Occasionly self destructs and does weird stuff though.
Visual Studio is good
-perhaps a bit slow but the autocomplete/code hinting is amazing (I think it slows it down by constantly checking for errors as you type though).
Notepad++ is pretty good.
-it’s fast but I really prefer to have my words lit up in blue so I know I’m on the right track.

And that’s where my experience ends.

Flag Post

FWIW, Draco and his minion RTL_Shadow jumped all over me for basically pointing out the same thing. It’s pretty obvious RTL_Shadow is just backing up his friend, and equally obvious that Draco, as a developer, doesn’t really know what he’s doing (wrt Unity and oo concepts anyway). Oh well.

I think from now on I will just post links, then those people can go and argue with the docs, and people with a real interest will know where to look for real answers.

Flag Post

Yes master Draco. I shall be gladly accepted into the Bluehorns Army.

Do you guys have cookies?

Lots of cookies.

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

Notepad++ is pretty good.
-it’s fast but I really prefer to have my words lit up in blue so I know I’m on the right track.

N++ has syntax highlighting for dozens of languages, plus you can add your own rules.
Also, you can modify the colors of the highlighting for every value.

Flag Post

N++ is pretty awesome.

Flag Post

WinRar model pricing plan.

WinRar’s claim to fame. “NO REALLY, BUY IT NOW! BUY IT! IF YOU DON’T I’LL KEEP BUGGING YOU EVERY FEW DAYS!”

Flag Post

Fair enough. I definitely agree that it’s lacking in those areas. I did misunderstand you. Do you go on the Unity forums? There was a post there awhile ago for an in-Unity application called ProBuilder. He was offering Beta-test versions for awhile. I don’t know if he still is. It may address some of your needs. Here’s a link http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/136685-quot-ProBuilder-quot-Fast-Simple-3D-Modeling-in-Unity-Beta-Test-to-Win-a-Free-Copy!-)!-)

Flag Post
Here’s a link http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/136685-quot-ProBuilder-quot-Fast-Simple-3D-Modeling-in-Unity-Beta-Test-to-Win-a-Free-Copy!-)!-)

That’s pretty neat.

Flag Post

Another reason I dislike unity:

Given the two visible objects, the selected one being the child of the other, the fact that the gimbal is in Local, and the information visible on the properties panel:

1) What transform.position property (x, y, z) would I need to tween to make the selected object move up and down?
2) What are the values I would want to animate between?

Answers:

1) If you guessed “The Z axis” you’d be wrong. The correct answer is “Y”
2) If you guessed “-4.2 to 4.2” you’d be wrong. The correct answer is “-8.9 to -5.5”

This is because Unity has both a transform.position and a transform.localPosition !
As well as transform.localToWorldMatrix object, for no apparent reason (why would you need the object in order to convert, when the world coordinates are directly available?).

Flag Post

This thread again. Some rather…fun times indeed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by feartehstickman:

This thread again. Some rather…fun times indeed.

I resurrect it every time I find that I’ve smashed my head against a wall thinking “Why is it doing it like that?” rather than start a new thread.

Flag Post

Revisiting Issue #1:

MonoDevelop has resolved over 1000 bug fixes from version 2.8.2 to version 3.0.6, most of which are the cause of 90% of the hate Unity developers have for MonoDevelop.

Unity still ships 2.8.2 because it’s a fork which includes several tweaks to make it integrate better with Unity, and which were not included upstream.

Unity has no plans to update their fork.

So I can either live with this:

Or I have to tolerate multiple instances of MonoDevelop, one for every file I double-click inside Unity (rather than tabs).

Flag Post

2. they are hard if you make it hard to create.
3. you are an idiot and will encounter in this kind of problems in most programming languages LearnHowToWriteShortNames when you need thousands of variables I guess you’ll pretty much fast run out of choice 1 length words OH and yes ThisIsEasyerToRead & thisisnoteasyertoread
4. no really? bool ReturnType = transform.GetComponent().ScriptFunction(“Pass in Some string OFC function needs to have that”);
5. I’m sorry but arrays always worked for me, …
6. so far everything hint updating worked perfectly fine for me. Except for structs when creating something new you must just reopen the mono and bang there it is. OFC if it’s public ;)
7. OFC they don’t because they must not. HOW do you suppose me doing some tests if I’d change the public variable in inspector and hey it doesn’t want to change, … This is because you are using editor and not builded project.
8. you were terrible at 3D modelling and you ARE terrible at programming I learned on my own much more in just 1 year of programming and you should be ashamed.
9. undefined reason.
10. undefined reason.

sums up you ain’t going to be good programmer, maybe you’ll have a paper and gain a job faster than me.
BUT I don’t need a paper but will get much better payed job than you.

Frankly if I find a person as a programmer as you are I’ll be bitching you at job that you’ll leave the hell out of the job as soon as possible OR learn fast like birds learn to fly. day 1 they have to learn or die.

I’m even teaching some people that start on ground 0 and have much more knowledge about programming than you in first 3 days you should be ashamed of posting this.

the only reason I say Unity 3D is a crap is because they don’t want to publish Unity 3D editor for Linux and that is the only DRAW back till now for me.

OH and somewhere I saw you were bitching because you don’t know where it is on screen well just few days I was looking at that and I figured out in less than 10 minutes how to get to it.

height is always same but not width.
and it’s easy to calculate the screen width.

ALSO!!!!!!
this is programming not modern computer gaming where they will hold your hand and lead you to the finish line.
this is more like old style games where you had to make your own goals and your own breaches to get to finish line.

I’ve made so many custom structors, my own SpawnerScript with implemented pooling ans do on.

many many extended methods.

ON MY OWN!!!!

I would also guess you don’t know when to use static.
All in all I could call you programming idiot.

Flag Post

This topic has been untouched for more than a year MilitaryG, last post was January 2013.

Furthermore, calling Draco a “programming idiot” is pretty hilarious. I’ll just leave it at that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Drakim:

Furthermore, calling Draco a “programming idiot” is pretty hilarious. I’ll just leave it at that.

*Giggle*
I’ll just leave this here.

Flag Post

Ahh, this thread is back to its best.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MilitaryG:

BUT I don’t need a paper but will get much better payed job than you.

Not if you’re that rude normally. I know Draco sometimes talks down to people unnecessarily, but he at least provides working solutions.