Porting to PS3, Xbox 360, etc.

9 posts

Flag Post

I’m looking for a language that can code a 3D game, then is capable of porting to Xbox 360, PS3, etc. The problem is, everybody else is telling me pretty much the only way to do it is to code in C#. Every other language either requires a complementary engine or requires approval by Microsoft to port to an Xbox 360 or PS3 console. Is there a language that doesn’t need such approval?

Flag Post

Nope. Every console company requires approval. The language it is scripted in doesn’t matter. It is the game itself – whether it runs and if the content is appropriate and doesn’t violate any terms of service.

You can’t just make a video game without a game engine. The only language that lets you do that while being able to be submitted on all platforms is C/C++ (procedural programming). C/C++ and C# are the only languages that go across all 4 platforms properly. Java might, not sure. If you don’t want to use a game engine, be prepared to apply some pretty heavy math. You also need to control the graphics device yourself and that is not fun at all.

Point being everyone else is correct. You will need to learn some form of C. XNA is a good game engine/library for C# (it is free, though a license will cost you 90 dollars a year for indie games). DarkGDK is a good start for C/C++.

Flag Post

I see. Well, thanks for telling me. I was just interested.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

everybody else is telling me pretty much the only way to do it is to code in C#.

I was about to tell you to use C#. xD

Flag Post

Unity
- Code once, runs on Windows,Linux,Mac,iOS,Android,Browser,Wii,360,PS3
- Free version, hardly limited, can still export to Web and Computers
- Much easier to use than nearly any other 3D development platform, includes a graphical IDE with built-in level editor
- Contains a bunch of middleware (shadow-mapping, physics, advanced sound, terrain, etc.) at no additional cost, many of which cost thousands of dollars on their own
- Large community and very active development

Best choice for any hobbyist looking to get into making 3D games, hands down, no competition

Flag Post

Try Unity or UDK.
Or the OUYA! :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rivaledsouls:

Unity
- Code once, runs on Windows,Linux,Mac,iOS,Android,Browser,Wii,360,PS3
- Free version, hardly limited, can still export to Web and Computers
- Much easier to use than nearly any other 3D development platform, includes a graphical IDE with built-in level editor
- Contains a bunch of middleware (shadow-mapping, physics, advanced sound, terrain, etc.) at no additional cost, many of which cost thousands of dollars on their own
- Large community and very active development

Best choice for any hobbyist looking to get into making 3D games, hands down, no competition

The problem with Unity is that it costs $1,000USD + extra to publish to consoles since you need Unity Pro to do that. There is also a fee associated with publishing to said consoles.

UDK is more forgiving. It is harder to use, but the kit is free and publishing only costs $90 + a percentage of your profit over $50,000.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

C# with an XNA license would probably be the cheapest and easiest way to get your game on 360. Im not sure about ps3 though.

EDIT by UnknownGuardian: I here and now promise to look at post dates when I reply! <3
EDIT by UnknownGuardian x2: Don’t even think about bumping this thread by quoting this…
EDIT by UnknownGuardian x3: You can delete your post when you see this and it will automatically sink back to where it came from.