So yeah, beta testing time draws near! page 5

119 posts

Flag Post

FGL, after sign up:
“View Game – Access Denied

Sorry, but you cannot view this game. The reason is:

Only developers who have 1 or more games approved for sponsorship may view this game."

I guess that should be incentive to actually work on my games… Meh. Probably not.

Flag Post

@Senekis: So basically, as flash game developers, we’re supposed to be making games for 5 year olds? I guess I should rework the complex plot continuation I had planned for the rest of this series then. Maybe if the light and dark factions are replaced by birds and pigs, the time travel takes place over bright yellow waterslides, and I make the main characters cross-eyed and buck-toothed…

@Dragon: What’s your FGL username? I can add you to give you access.

Flag Post

If you want to sell, yes.
Take a look at the forums (OffTopic, General Gaming, etc), that’s your target market.

Making games is an art. You can get lucky and get money by making what you really like, but that rarely happens; there are 10,000 persons who will never get noticed for every Andy Warhol or David Lynch out there. Chances are that you won’t earn a cent unless you sell yourself and start making games to please the sheeple.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:
Edit: And FFS, I thought my new icon was a lot better, but it’s only rated 25%/1131. Are the only high-rated icons stupid, cartoony crap with oversaturated colors?

Don’t take this personally, but it’s not a great icon. Nevermind the hipster garbage about how the audience just doesn’t “get” you, refusing to take responsibility for your work just means you’ll never improve. Here’s why the icon isn’t being upvoted:

• the text needs to be clearer, and probably bigger
  • the text doesn’t stand out well against the background
  • the border is only one one side of it, which looks bad
  • the girl is blurry. Even if this was intentional, it just looks unfocused.
  • the girl doesn’t stand out well against the background
  • it’s not immediately clear that the background is a clock, it looks like a swirly with a floating knife by her face.
  • the text(?) on the girl’s tshirt would be better replaced by a symbol, since it’s not going to be readable at that size.
  • the bg may be too complex anyway, since it’s not supposed to be the focus.

Flag Post

Don’t worry, I don’t take constructive criticism personally. Doing so is a sure way to never improve. :D

I suppose it doesn’t really show well on FGL (something I should’ve considered, given the background color) but the border is actually white on one side and black on the other. Pointless though I suppose if it’s going to exist on a white page.

The font: Is it best to just use a basic font? I admit, I’m drawn to fancy, gothic, and scripty fonts but I do realize they can be hard to read. And even though I was going for a color scheme, would it be best to just use some highly-contrasting color for it? Making text that stands out properly has always been a weakness of mine.

The girl shown is really just the same image that shows up when the protagonist engages in dialog, so I had to scale her down quite a bit. I’m not really sure how to make her less blurry without drawing a smaller picture from scratch. As for making her stand out a bit more, hmm. I’ll have to play around with it. I’m not very experienced in the ways of graphic design—I’ll admit it.

The background itself will be tricky to rework. I wanted to make it symbolic with the plot, in that the “clock” is actually the unseen force which drives time forward, and that the last hour is only moments away. Bah, icons are hard. :(

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

@Dragon: What’s your FGL username? I can add you to give you access.

CelticDragon (surprising twist, ne?)

TY

Originally posted by Senekis93:

Chances are that you won’t earn a cent unless you sell yourself and start making games to please the sheeple.

Zombie match 3 game?

Flag Post

@Dragon: Added. :D

@Senekis: I think I’d rather stick to making games I would want to play and remain lesser-known. It sure beats selling my soul to barf out yet another overly-cartoony zombie/launch/tower defense/etc game, complete with bubble-popping sound effects, that will make the drooly kid with the propeller hat giggle, jump up and down, and clap his grimy hands together with glee.

Also when I think about it, the AS3 port really needs to be a last resort. There’s several things I didn’t do in this game because of AS2’s crappiness/limitations (parallax scrolling backgrounds, more elaborate particle effects, bullets that shoot bullets that shoot bullets that shoot bullets, etc) that I’d feel compelled to do.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

The performance issues you’re having are specific to the newest Flash Player by the way. I’d hope they get fix by Adobe in the next patch. If it ran alright with previous versions of FP, AS2 isn’t the problem in this case.

Flag Post

OK, I’ve just finished the fourth level. CPU hangs at around 30% on menu screens where nothing much is happening, but the only place I got a small bit of lag was on level four when I was being drenched with the blue “L” shaped things and a couple starfish and clams (even then it wasn’t too bad). So far, so good… (FP 11.3.300.271, Windows Vista (with service pack 2), IE 9, AMD 64 dual core processor 2.5 GHz)
Edit: corrected where lag occurred.

Addition: I suppose I should note that I get lag on a fair lot of Flash games. …and I was using mouse controls, rarely (but occasionally) used focus.

Yet more: Very noticeable lag on jellyfish boss whilst using focus. Near edge/corners I might get stuck for a moment (though releasing and re-pressing focus key rectifies this — also had this happen once with non-focused shooting (holding mouse button)).

Dialogue that I noticed needs repairing:
“This humble quest is isn’t much to ask, […]” — is it or isn’t it? ;)
“[…] version of the one you had, capable devastation on a global scale.” — missing “of”
“If you don’t get of my way, […]” — missing “out”

One more, now that I’ve finished the game (on Normal mode): “[…] brightly illumnated due to […]” — illuminated is missing the “i”

Addition: It would be nice if shield flashed/glinted/faded or something to indicate that it is about to wink out.

Originally posted by saybox:
Don’t take this personally, but it’s not a great icon. Nevermind the hipster garbage about how the audience just doesn’t “get” you, refusing to take responsibility for your work just means you’ll never improve. Here’s why the icon isn’t being upvoted:

• the text needs to be clearer, and probably bigger
  • the text doesn’t stand out well against the background
  • the border is only one one side of it, which looks bad
  • the girl is blurry. Even if this was intentional, it just looks unfocused.
  • the girl doesn’t stand out well against the background
  • it’s not immediately clear that the background is a clock, it looks like a swirly with a floating knife by her face.
  • the text(?) on the girl’s tshirt would be better replaced by a symbol, since it’s not going to be readable at that size.
  • the bg may be too complex anyway, since it’s not supposed to be the focus.

I like the more creative fonts, so I don’t have a problem reading it. I would probably move her and the background over to the left a wee bit and enlarge the font slightly, though.

“the border is only on one side of it, which looks bad” — Has it been updated since saybox posted that? I can’t see what he’s referring to…

The blurriness of the girl doesn’t seem like much of an issue to me, particularly at that size.

Lightening up the background and/or switching it so that the white/blue half is behind her would make her stand out more, but I am unconvinced that it is necessary.

If you can’t tell the thing shaped like a clock behind the word “Clock” in a game titled “Clock of Eternity” is a clock, I can’t help you… ;P
Seriously, though, even without the title and text, I would have seen it as a clock before anything else (not a good indicator of what others may or may not see).

Can’t read what’s on her shirt, but so what? Is it important?

The icon is a little “busy”, but I don’t think it is overly so (IMO, of course). Lightening up the background (less contrast between background elements) would likely go far toward remedying this, if indeed it needs remedying.

While there is plenty of risible “hipster garbage”, the idea that popularity is a decent indicator of quality is absolutley ludicrous. If everyone put so much importance on that criteria, there would never be any artistic innovation.

Flag Post

@Saybox: Oh, so it was Adobe’s fault all along! Here I was, backtracking and trying to figure out if maybe, just maybe, I did something wrong. Even still, it’s another compelling reason to never use AS2 again after this, because flash player updates are clearly not pushed out with considerations for AVM1’s performance in mind. Yeah, before the most recent flash player update, the only real lag was in expected situations (lots of bullets, dialog during a semi-alpha’d screenclear for one particular encounter, etc). It was a more forgivable (even beneficial?) slowdown too, rather than the gameplay-killing spiky shit that’s plaguing it now.

@Dragon: Thanks for the dialog tips—they’ve been fixed now. Edit: Or will be in the next posted version.

Re: The jellyfish boss with focus. Yeah, that’s the recent input delay crap that has me tearing my hair out. I’m willing to bet that for mouse play, you’re just holding down the mouse button to shoot, and in that case yeah, it should be fine. It’s the combination of mouse movement + keyboard input, because it goes away after keyboard input is ceased for a few seconds. In the newest version (not yet up) I changed mouse input so that, even if adobe never fixes this, it shouldn’t be a problem anymore.

Oh and no, what her shirt says is of zero importance. It says “I hear voices and they don’t like you” but isn’t even really readable in its full-sized form—during dialog sequences.

Flag Post

Yeah, this is entirely Adobe’s fault. If you uninstall flash and go back to 11.3 or earlier, problem solved. There’s a ton of reports about it on the Firefox forums, but Mozilla says it’s a bug within Flash, not with how Firefox is handling FP. Also, it doesn’t just affect AS2, some people have found it even makes YouTube unusable. I don’t know why it only affects some Flash content and not all of it, though.

Originally posted by dragon_of_celts:long argument against saybox’s suggestions for the icon

I’m not sure what you think you’re going to achieve by refusing to accept constructive criticism (of someone else’s work, at that), but even if you write an entire book defending his design choices, his icon is still rated at 25%, and that’s still a very low score. Personally, I think taking the advice to improve it would be better than refusing to acknowledge the low rating it currently has.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:
Originally posted by dragon_of_celts:long argument against saybox’s suggestions for the icon

I’m not sure what you think you’re going to achieve by refusing to accept constructive criticism (of someone else’s work, at that), but even if you write an entire book defending his design choices, his icon is still rated at 25%, and that’s still a very low score. Personally, I think taking the advice to improve it would be better than refusing to acknowledge the low rating it currently has.

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize “constructive criticism” was code for “no one is allowed to say anything counter to what I say”. I’ll try to remember for next time.

At no point did I indicate that heeding my opinion of the icon would have any effect whatsoever on its rating any more than heeding your opinion would.

Flag Post

Anyway, let’s stop criticizing the criticism regarding an icon that, in my opinion, is in need of the aforementioned criticism. The icon in question is at 30%/1110 now, so I don’t know if all icons start with a low rating and gradually rise, or if it’s based on an average number of views + favorable votes and is just magically getting better. Either way, I know it can be better than it is, and most of Saybox’s points are valid.

I went to a used game store last night (I was already at the mall, so why not?) to browse the various games (box art as well as loose discs) to see which ones stood out, and what styles they used. They all seemed to use simple fonts, and reserved the text decoration for patterns, strokes, glows, etc within and around those simple fonts. The text also, in every case, contrasted the background far better than mine does. My border plain sucks. Again, a black to white fade is pointless if the icon is going to sit on a solid black or solid white background. And a whole host of other things I can improve between now and the time it takes adobe to fix their flash player so this damned thing is sellable. ;)

Flag Post

Ah, I see the border now! I hadn’t noticed it before (it’s only like 1 pixel wide)… I expected it to be a bit more noticeable, which is probably why I missed it.

@Aesica: Why is my opinion a criticism of his opinion? I wasn’t aware that disagreement was the same as criticism, but whatever… The only part I see that could reasonably be construed as criticism is the last part, which isn’t even about the icon — it is about the idea that going for popularity is somehow equivalent to improving (which wasn’t exactly what he wrote, but it did come across that way to me… It could’ve been a non-sequitir, for all I know. And yet, from his apparent offense to my counter opinion, and the “I’m not sure what you’re trying to achieve by refusing to accept constructive criticism” remark (as though constructive criticism is always and unquestionably right), I think my original assessment stands).
That and maybe the part where I chide him for not seeing the clock as a clock (but I used a winking emoticon!).

Flag Post

Icons are put head to head against other icons, and how many ‘wins’ you get is what gives you your placement. There are some awful icons in the mix, MS Paint type monstrosities, so you basically get free points when you go up against those. Your rating will never entirely fix on one point because of the ongoing nature of the votes.

Originally posted by dragon_of_celts:

Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize “constructive criticism” was code for “no one is allowed to say anything counter to what I say”. I’ll try to remember for next time.

At no point did I indicate that heeding my opinion of the icon would have any effect whatsoever on its rating any more than heeding your opinion would.

It’s funny cuz that sort of snide, sarcastic reply makes you look like the one who doesn’t like to be disagreed with, not me.

Anyway, here’s the problem. You didn’t post your opinion of the icon – you just went through each of my points and argued against each of them. So either you don’t think the icon needs improvement, in which case you’re wrong, or else you think the fixes it needs aren’t what I suggested, in which case you should just post what you think is wrong with it rather than trying to take apart my post.

Flag Post

@saybox: So contrasting my opinion to yours is a problem? OK, if you say so. I “went through and argued against your points”? No: I stated my (counter) opinion. I don’t see anywhere in my post where I said you were wrong.

Try it this way:

Originally posted by dragon_of_celts:

I like the more creative fonts, so I don’t have a problem reading it. I would probably move her and the background over to the left a wee bit and enlarge the font slightly, though.

[snip bit about the border, which I didn’t see]

The blurriness of the girl doesn’t seem like much of an issue to me, particularly at that size.

Lightening up the background and/or switching it so that the white/blue half is behind her would make her stand out more, but I am unconvinced that it is necessary.

If you can’t tell the thing shaped like a clock behind the word “Clock” in a game titled “Clock of Eternity” is a clock, I can’t help you… ;P
Seriously, though, even without the title and text, I would have seen it as a clock before anything else (not a good indicator of what others may or may not see).

Can’t read what’s on her shirt, but so what? Is it important?

The icon is a little “busy”, but I don’t think it is overly so (IMO, of course). Lightening up the background (less contrast between background elements) would likely go far toward remedying this, if indeed it needs remedying.

(emphasis added)

Note that throughout I went out of my way to show that it was just my opinion (which, I might add, is more than you did by far). For all I know all of your points are spot on for increasing the icon’s rating.

As far as your comment about my reply, you’re probably right. Anyway, I’m sure we’re both a bit riled up by now, so sorry about that — wasn’t my intention.

Flag Post

Can we please just drop this? :(

Flag Post

I’m not actually sure why this argument started in the first place…