About the chat...

6 posts

Flag Post

I have several questions and observations about the chat. I guess I’ll start with the observations that I and others have gathered.

1: The chat REQUIRES a game to be loaded. This may seem like a “Duh. It’s a gaming website!” moment, but this invents a whole bunch of problems for me as a developer. I have just recently gotten into programming, and I thought I would attempt to make a chatbot out of Javascript. It works, and is called “Crunchybot”, after the room it’s in most of the time. Unfortunately, I don’t have a good computer anymore, and Flash eats up too much processor power to keep up all the time (And my graphics card is integrated. Eugh.).

2: The Chat also has a Javascript overlay(?), which allows people to poke and prod it into doing cool things. This also allows the website developers easier ways to tweak and update the chat as well.

3: There are chat logs for (rooms/people), but not on anyone but the Admins’ control panels. This is inconvenient in that if you lose connection to the chat for ANY REASON, all of the logs are gone. This never made sense to me personally, because all it does is cause confusion and trolling due to mixed contexts. For example, a troll could make someone so angry that they’re fuming, and then call a mod, who then tempbans the victim.

4: The chat DOES NOT currently support Jabber protocols(?), as was suggested by the support staff to me. Not much of an observation, just something.

And now some questions.

Is there any way to log onto the chat and send messages without loading flash?

Is there anyone from the website development team that has worked on the chat that would feel up to talking to me, either on Skype in private, or in the forum in public (or any other way than physical meetings) about the chat?

Any other observations that may help me improve my bot?

Flag Post

and Flash eats up too much processor power to keep up all the time (And my graphics card is integrated. Eugh.).

JustChatting or similar should not eat up a significant portion of CPU unless you’re running something like 20 years old. There’s nothing inherently slow about having a swf open. It’s just DOING things in flash that’s slow.

If you must have a flash open, see if you can get a .swf up that does absolutely nothing, runs with the smallest .swf size you can manage, at 1FPS. You might have a hard time getting this past whoever removes games (or not-games, as the case would be) though.

Flag Post

There’s lots of idle games on this site, some of which are pretty close to do-nothing swfs. Poke around for one of those. :)

Flag Post

You might have a hard time getting this past whoever removes games (or not-games, as the case would be) though.

It was stated a while ago that more chatting games will get removed unless there is some actual gameplay to it. Kongregate doesn’t want to pay people for uploading nothing.

If your swf does something special while using a blank screen, send a whisper to Emily before you upload it. She is the one that deals with stolen games and the like.

Flag Post

It’s not that I can’t run the Flash, it’s that I don’t want to have to. I’m trying to ultimately get a functional chat bot on a microcontroller.

Flag Post

So remember when I said the chat wasn’t Jabber? I wasrong. It’s jabber, but it’s… changed. As Mr. Ben Vinson’s profile states,

Kongregate’s chat platform is based upon several open-source projects. The back-end XMPP server is a customized version of Openfire, and the client side uses the XIFF library. Ben has actively contributed improvements and bug fixes to these projects as a way of giving back to the community.

I don’t really know much about either of these technologies, except that attempting to connect to the chat server (whose address I used to know, but now don’t offhand) using a stock XMPP client fails. I assume there’s more information to add, or a prefix/suffix to the username, to get it to know which game you’re playing. The traffic’s all encrypted, so I really don’t know where to go from here. Anyone here more experienced in XMPP who wants to collaborate?