Windows 8 Thoughts

58 posts

Flag Post

Just wondering if anyone has tried out Windows 8, and how they liked it. (Relevant as the final Windows 8 will be available tomorrow through MSDN). I’m trying to decide whether or not I should upgrade my laptop.

What I’d like to see: Performance improvements, especially startup/shut down. Windows Explorer improvements, Command Line improvements.

What I don’t really care about: The start menu, the theme (I like Windows 7 look, but whatever).

Any advice?

Flag Post

Wait until tomorrow and try it out yourself?

Flag Post

You won’t be upgrading. You’ll be downgrading.

I have the Windows 8 32-bit installed on my old 64-bit computer next to me. I’m not using it right now, since I can’t stand anything about it. It was previously running XP, and besides the start time, XP ran a lot faster.

Performence improvements: Some people have found some, but I think that’s just because they have nothing installed on Windows 8 and had a lot of unused crap cluttering up XP. As I said, for me only the start time is faster.

Shut-down takes a lot longer. And it randomly shuts down, which it did not do on XP or Linux.

Windows Explorer seems the exact same as Windows 7.

About command line, MS hid it. You can still access it, but only if you know the location – C:\Windows\system32\cmd .

I should add two things – I’m running the 32-bit version since the computer only has 2gb of RAM and a 2.6ghz dual core processor. Also, it took three hours to try and install Fruitninja and then hung up on me and I had to restart the computer.
The only way I could actually have a lot of things open was by overclocking my ram to 2800mhz, which almost burned it out as well. Since the applications on Windows 8 are always running, it uses up a lot of RAM.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jerimo:

Wait until tomorrow and try it out yourself?

Yeah, but I don’t want to go through the process of downloading/installing if it’s not going to be any better :D

Flag Post

It can be summed up in about ten words. A picture password. Then mostly disappointment. That’s pretty much it. Hey, that’s a haiku. _
No, honestly, the only new feature I see in Windows 8 is the picture password. Then pretty much nothing else except perhaps a user – unfriendly interface.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

I have the Windows 8 32-bit installed on my old 64-bit computer next to me.

I’m going to have to disagree with this wonderful gentlemen.
“Software is upgraded steadily faster than hardware is, thus microsofts operating systems are going to suck in certain areas because they’re made to run off of hardware that doesn’t exist yet.” – a man high up in microsoft I knew well on why he felt vista didn’t actually suck.

Of course its going to run slower on an older system : \

Unrelevant: I am going to add that XP is the shizz. Original Gangsta’s use XP.

Originally posted by jasonjie88:

Not really user friendly.

Isn’t all the “fanciness” Microsoft injects shamelessly into their products, specifically so that soccer moms and grandparents can use it without causing it to implode? If they failed that, wow.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JamesObscura:

This has nothing to do with programming.

:D

On-topic: I still use Windows XP. D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:
Originally posted by JamesObscura:

This has nothing to do with programming.

:D

On-topic: I still use Windows XP. D:

Windows Store and app building on Windows 8. (There, programming related.) On that note, anyone use the new VS or make and Metro apps? I’m curious to how easy/hard it is.

Flag Post

It’s utter garbage. A friend of mine tried it out and screen-cast it for a bunch of us.

Flag Post
Originally posted by alecz127:
Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

I have the Windows 8 32-bit installed on my old 64-bit computer next to me.

I’m going to have to disagree with this wonderful gentlemen.
“Software is upgraded steadily faster than hardware is, thus microsofts operating systems are going to suck in certain areas because they’re made to run off of hardware that doesn’t exist yet.” – a man high up in microsoft I knew well on why he felt vista didn’t actually suck.

Of course its going to run slower on an older system : \

Unrelevant: I am going to add that XP is the shizz. Original Gangsta’s use XP.

Not really user friendly.

Isn’t all the “fanciness” Microsoft injects shamelessly into their products, specifically so that soccer moms and grandparents can use it without causing it to implode? If they failed that, wow.

It’s the fact that it runs so much slower on older hardware. It’ll run slower than Win 7 on newer hardware as well.

Windows Store and app building on Windows 8. (There, programming related.) On that note, anyone use the new VS or make and Metro apps? I’m curious to how easy/hard it is.

I’ve done a little bit of experimenting with trying to make Windows 8 apps. It’s not really that hard. The Metro API is somewhat less evil than the standard Win32 API.

Flag Post

So you know that whole “window” thing where you can resize and arrange windows as you’d like?

Yeah. Say goodbye to that.

It’s going away.

Flag Post

Too big a likeness to Windows phone.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

So you know that whole “window” thing where you can resize and arrange windows as you’d like?

It’s going away.

Wat.

Too big a likeness to Windows phone.

That’s probably because it’s the exact same OS as Windows Phone.

Flag Post

It’s going away.

How is that even possible? one wondow at a time type of deal or something?

Flag Post

It’s going away.

Yep!

Technically you can get two, if you anchor one of them to 1/5th of the screen (left side or right side only!)

Also, you can exit the “desktop” program so it’s no longer running. There’s also a fast way to switch between “current program” and “last active program” but you have to do Weird Shit1 to get access to the full list.

1 I call it “waggling the mouse at the left edge of the screen until the Kinect realizes what you want.”

Flag Post

It’s going away.

Yep!

Technically you can get two, if you anchor one of them to 1/5th of the screen (left side or right side only!)

Also, you can exit the “desktop” program so it’s no longer running. There’s also a fast way to switch between “current program” and “last active program” but you have to do Weird Shit1 to get access to the full list.

1 I call it “waggling the mouse at the left edge of the screen until the Kinect realizes what you want.”

To clarify, Draco means when using Metro apps. The desktop is fairly similar to Windows 7.

Also, using a Kinect to move the mouse? What?

Flag Post

To clarify, Draco means when using Metro apps. The desktop is fairly similar to Windows 7.

Which, you know, is most of them.

I’m making a comparison between the fact that moving the mouse to the left edge isn’t sufficient. Just like sticking out your left arm doesn’t work. You have to shake it until the system realizes what you’re trying to do.

Flag Post

Really? I heard there are pretty few metro apps available. Obviously there are still tons and tons of programs written for the desktop.

I’m making a comparison between the fact that moving the mouse to the left edge isn’t sufficient. Just like sticking out your left arm doesn’t work. You have to shake it until the system realizes what you’re trying to do.

Ha ha, that makes more sense. I thought someone had rigged up a Kinect to replace a mouse. Seemed kind of cool, but really impractical.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

Really? I heard there are pretty few metro apps available. Obviously there are still tons and tons of programs written for the desktop.

I’m trying to recall back to the demo my friend did with regards to not-a-metro-app with the new “windowing” and I recall that they were basically forced into full screen, as if they were a metro app.

The thing is, if you want to use any metro app side by side with any “desktop” app (assuming that desktop apps function as they do now) you would not be able to. You want your Windows Live Messenger to sit side by side with your Firefox browser window? NOPE, WON’T HAPPEN.

And that is even ignoring the fact that the metro-MSN application can only show one chat at a time. In full screen (or that 1/5th screen sidebar). It cannot ever display more than one conversation on screen at one time.

Flag Post

It’s going away.

Wow, that sounds amazing. I can’t wait to upgrade so that I can start taking advantage of this new functionality!

Flag Post

Oh, and you know their new start menu?

Yeah, that thing.

Two notable things about it:

1) the only icons that “get big” are the ones Microsoft says are big. No other icon can take up “double space,” ever. And the ones that do? Can’t make them smaller.

2) the bigger ones stack funny. Because of the way the menu is built, if you try to put a big one in certain places, you’ll end up with a blank spot. I forget exactly how it works

3) “all other programs” (non-metro ones?) don’t get colored icons. In fact, they don’t even get customized icons for the program, IIRC (you know that whole graphical destop icon we’ve gotten used to for the last 25 years). They’re grayish and generic, and can’t be sorted into the same block as the metro icons, are unsortable, have no folders, and are arranged alphabetically.

Flag Post

There has to be a way to disable that theme. It looks like something from a kid’s game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aesica:

There has to be a way to disable that theme. It looks like something from a kid’s game.

Nope. You can’t even change the background color.

Flag Post

Surely you can set up your favorite wallpaper in that background… right?

(That screenshot is unbelievably ugly, btw. I could have made that theme and those icons. Can’t MS afford graphic designers anymore? And what’s limiting the desktop to 16 colors anyway?)

Flag Post

That’s probably because it’s the exact same OS as Windows Phone.

No…. it’s built off Windows 7, though it might use some code from the WPS*.

*WPS = Windows Phone Shit.