Windows 8 Thoughts page 2

58 posts

Flag Post

Honestly, what’s the point? Microsoft believes by introducing in revolutionary new features they can make Windows 8 look awesome.

• They probably introduced the full-screen menu because they thought that windows cluttered up the screen. Which is wrong.
  • Have you noticed every second version of Windows sucks? Windows 95, ME, and Vista (but they did improve Vista, so that wasn’t so bad.) Windows 8 is probably an alpha or beta that is imperfect, and they’re going to improve it to make Windows 9 better. In the meantime, buy Apple. They probably upgrade and optimise their OSes from time to time, but at least they don’t try to introduce some revolutionary OS like Apple II.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

Honestly, what’s the point? Microsoft believes by introducing in revolutionary new features they can make Windows 8 look awesome.

• They probably introduced the full-screen menu because they thought that windows cluttered up the screen. Which is wrong.
  • Have you noticed every second version of Windows sucks? Windows 95, ME, and Vista (but they did improve Vista, so that wasn’t so bad.) Windows 8 is probably an alpha or beta that is imperfect, and they’re going to improve it to make Windows 9 better. In the meantime, buy Apple. They probably upgrade and optimise their OSes from time to time, but at least they don’t try to introduce some revolutionary OS like Apple II.

Windows 95 wasn’t bad at all. Granted, I was very young when it was around, but it ran great and I learned how to use it as well as my parents.
E Don’t forget SkiFree, that was a great game

Flag Post

I remember SkiFree. Indeed, it is a good game.

Flag Post

Windows ME

Windows ME doesn’t exist. Don’t know what you’re talking about.

Flag Post

Windows 95 was terribly unstable, but yeah, other than that it wasn’t bad at the time. Nothing like an OS that requires you to reboot it every few hours in order to get it running normally again! :D Edit: Not being sarcastic about it being “not bad at the time.” I just didn’t care for its instability.

And LOL apple. Only buy apple if you’re cool with throwing a whole computer in the trash because your current one no longer has enough ram to play your favorite games. “Adding $100-$200” to include a dvd drive in your system is a nice touch, too.

Flag Post

Have you noticed every second version of Windows sucks? Windows 95, ME, and Vista (but they did improve Vista, so that wasn’t so bad.) Windows 8 is probably an alpha or beta that is imperfect, and they’re going to improve it to make Windows 9 better. In the meantime, buy Apple. They probably upgrade and optimise their OSes from time to time, but at least they don’t try to introduce some revolutionary OS like Apple II.

I was a young wee llama when Windows 95 was out, most likely, or I was drugged by aliens and I’m actually a 37 year old virgin llama who’s never left his house and failed school.

What’s this about a game called SkiFree? It sounds so familiar, like a game where I played on a snowboard and snowboarded around. Though that game I played was 3D, and the wikipedia article is saying this is a 2D game. D: I do miss that game.

Don’t buy apple products. Maybe try something like this.

Flag Post

SkiFree is an old game where you do nothing but, err… ski a bit, escape from a couple of yetis and repeat (the supersmall level loops over and over) until you get bored.

It became popular because many people thought the yeti was unbeatable, which did lead to some sort of meme/cult around it, as shown in this picture:

The truth is, it was a matter of pressing “F”.

Flag Post

When I tried Windows 8, there was no significant difference. Programs ran at the same speed, but now it had a horrid start up screen. Why buy the same thing again?

Flag Post

Yeah, SkiFree was an amazing game. Too bad everyone is too interested in iStunt to make a repeat of it on iPhone.

Oh, and by the way,

Originally posted by Draco18s:

Windows ME

Well, it exists. Fourth one in the series.

Flag Post

Yeah, SkiFree was an amazing game. Too bad everyone is too interested in iStunt to make a repeat of it on iPhone.

Oh, and by the way,

Windows ME

Well, it exists. Fourth one in the series.

Actually, I’m pretty sure it doesn’t. Microsoft says so.

Flag Post

I don’t see any mention of MS in that article, Draco.

Flag Post

Hmm, and I always thought windows ME was just a rebranded hackish release of windows 2000.

Flag Post

Except they managed to make it really shitty.
Now, I shall be referencing to Windows 8.
Update:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/260884/test_driving_windows_8_rtm.html#tk.hp_pop

So apparently the final version isn’t nearly as shitty for manuevering! For example,

Windows 8, it turns out, is highly usable. The final release is noticeably more responsive with the touchpad and mouse than the prerelease versions. The user interface is easier to navigate than I’d feared, and the whole affair seems to hang together pretty well.

The responsiveness of the UI, down to mouse movements, scrolling and swiping large swaths of UI screen is incredibly smooth, made possible by GPU acceleration of most of the UI elements.

Saying that using the mouse is much easier than before can’t be saying much… anyone who’s used a mouse on Windows 8 will know what I mean. I don’t give a shit about touchpads, since I’m on a nice, huge, and very good looking desktop that I plan to lug around for college. 40 pounds of beast!

Read the whole article too. It is very enlightening if you haven’t used Win8/don’t know much about it.

Flag Post

You can see more info here – http://www.blog4tech.net/download-now-windows-8-rtm-from-technetmsdn/
If you need activation – http://www.blog4tech.net/how-to-activate-windows-8-rtm/

Flag Post

Just start typing in the UI to find apps.

That’s not new, dude.

Flag Post

In my personal opinion, it is going to be a terrible desktop OS, and a great Mobile OS. I look forward to buying a Windows 8 tablet.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

In my personal opinion, it is going to be a terrible desktop OS, and a great Mobile OS. I look forward to buying a Windows 8 tablet.

That’s pretty much my opinion too. It looks like it’ll be a reasonably solid mobile OS. The problem is that the same conventions don’t work as a desktop.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:

That’s pretty much my opinion too. It looks like it’ll be a reasonably solid mobile OS. The problem is that the same conventions don’t work as a desktop.

I think MS is trying to get people into it for desktop use just since you can sync files between tablet, phone*, and computer.

Not sure about this one actually.

Flag Post

I think it’s more of a “same interface: laptop, desktop, phone. All the same, the way you brainless sheep like it.”

Flag Post

Is there a desktop interface on the phone? If no, then what about on tablets that don’t have an i5-processor?

BTW the RTM version is out. I’m burning it right now. I really want to make Windows 8 apps for two reasons.

1. I don’t need to sell them. You can integrate ads.
2. If I do sell them, everyone who is using Windows 8 will be a mindless pig who just wants to wank to a bad user interface.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx – where to get downloads for crappo app development. Since I’ve not downloaded any of them yet, am I correct in saying that the development can use C# instead of javascript, CSS, and HTML5?

Flag Post
Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

Is there a desktop interface on the phone? If no, then what about on tablets that don’t have an i5-processor?

BTW the RTM version is out. I’m burning it right now. I really want to make Windows 8 apps for two reasons.

1. I don’t need to sell them. You can integrate ads.
2. If I do sell them, everyone who is using Windows 8 will be a mindless pig who just wants to wank to a bad user interface.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516.aspx – where to get downloads for crappo app development. Since I’ve not downloaded any of them yet, am I correct in saying that the development can use C# instead of javascript, CSS, and HTML5?

I wouldn’t download the 90 day trial from there. You cannot get a license for it or keep it in anyway. In other words, after you go through the process of installing Windows 8, you’ll have to do the exact same thing 90 days later.

Flag Post

I’m not going to waste $40 on Windows 8. I think I might know a way to effectively reset the trial before it’s over through the BIOS.

Flag Post

So I’ve been using Win8 for a couple of weeks now, my initial thoughts:

• Wow! It starts up so much faster than Win7. My method of determining startup speed is to measure the time until I can use my primary email application. Win7: About 2 minutes. Win8: About 45 seconds.
  • New startscreen instead of start menu: I’m indifferent really.
  • New Windows Explorer toolbar: Somewhat useful, but I don’t really use it much.
  • New default theme – definitely uglier.
  • The new task manager however is a big improvement, and the transfer files dialog is nicer.
  • Reliability: I’ve hit an occasional bug, but overall seems pretty stable.

Flag Post

Windows 8 was developed as a mobile OS and that is how it should have stayed.

Flag Post

Wow! It starts up so much faster than Win7. My method of determining startup speed is to measure the time until I can use my primary email application. Win7: About 2 minutes. Win8: About 45 seconds.

Yeah, I was thoroughly impressed with the start time. It’s really fast. I don’t care quite so much about start time as how programs run. As I think I previously mentioned, I had to overclock my RAM to 3.5 times it’s default 800mhz.

EndlessSporadic is the cupcake. Microsoft is the cake.