First time computer builder. page 4

88 posts

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Fuuuu, after copying all my files I wanted over to it, and installing a whole bunch of things at once, it’s saying something about automatic recovery cannot repair your computer D: Now I have to reload the windows 7 disk and do this all again. Any ideas on what caused it?

I installed:

Steam
Xsplit
Sony Vegas Demo
Dreamscene
S***load of steam games
Diablo 2
Diablo 3
Itunes
CCleaner

And I’m pretty sure that’s it.

Flag Post

Post the exact message; it helps a lot when googling for the cause.
Also, are you sure you can’t just fix the recovery manager instead of reinstalling everything?

Flag Post

I believe it said “Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically” but I’m on the new pc right now again fixed so I can’t check. I didn’t really know how to fix the recovery manager.

My Dad seems to think it could be that I was downloading NUMEROUS games at once overnight, could that be a possible cause?

(It was a lot of games, like TF2, Oblivion, Borderlands 2, Diablo 2/3 all at once.)

Flag Post

Thanks everyone for the help!

A Summary: Total Cost – ~$1700

Had difficulty with: Installing CPU Fan, Entering BIOS, startup repair?

So far: Can absolutely max out Borderlands 2 without any slowdown at all, I didn’t check the fps, but it was really, really high, even in cutscenes.

Estimated Build Time: 10-12 hours

Estimated Setup TIme: 3? Hours the first time, including transferring 70gb of data on a 8gb usb :3 About an hour the second time

Time from ordering parts to completion: ~1 Month

This was a great experience and I finally did it, thanks again!! :D

Behold, The UzzBox of Awesome

(Still need to get proper speakers, mouse, and keyboard though)

Flag Post
could that be a possible cause

Installing something shouldn’t affect other programs. I think Windows ignores DLLs older than the ones that you already have. Maybe an installed program changed a setting or modified some system variable. It’s hard to tell, that’s why whenever I get errors, I just google them between quotation marks.

Your computer looks nice and it seems like it will last for a good time before you need to apply any important upgrade. Good job. (:

Flag Post

Ok. now I’m angry. I looked it all up and many people say that the recommended updates are giving me problems, and it’s always when I load a steam game for the first time. I think the recommended update is conflicting with NET framework. My comp is back at the startup repair loop. I can enter the bios now, but I need to know how to get it to use the last known good configuration. It is the Asus UEFI Bios Utility.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis:

Post the exact message; it helps a lot when googling for the cause.

Also, if it’s related to software downloaded from a particular site, you may get better answers if you ask in that site’s forums. That would also help to let them know that their software causes issues.

Flag Post

You might want to put the actual computer on the floor. That way if you get an earthquake, it won’t fall and break. You’ll also have those ugly wires out of the way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lSWATLLAMA:

You might want to put the actual computer on the floor. That way if you get an earthquake, it won’t fall and break. You’ll also have those ugly wires out of the way.

Keep it off the carpet though- you can get some bad static.

Flag Post

I’ve got it going again, and thanks for the tips. It’s all carpet on the floor, so i’ll figure something out eventually.

Flag Post

:D I have my comp on the floor because I get earthquakes. (and on carpet) We’ve got several in the last 2 months.

And a few years back we had one that would have destroyed my computer, if it was placed on my desk. Certainly killed my lamp, dresser, and lego models I had up that fell to their death. (That was a 5.x earthquake)

Flag Post

I wished I lived somewhere exciting like that…