Multiplayer Game Dev Contest - Play Entries! page 3

121 posts

Flag Post

HaXe is specifically suggested on the contest page, so at least that one should be fine.

Also, a clarification on multiplayer (that is now represented on the contest page): the game must involve multiplayer, but there is not a minimum number of players. The game can also be either synchronous or asynchronous, just as long as other real people are involved in some way. It may be either cooperative or competitive or both.

Flag Post

Hmm. I’m clearly not capable of winning anything here solo but this is a really good excuse to dig out my persistent (M)MO idea and try to actually create it. Assuming Player.IO can support a persistent world, but I think it can, since it has a persistent storage API.

You need the Plus plan to enter this contest (since that’s where the payment API is). Is that free for entrants? Does it stay free after the contest if you want to leave the game up and it doesn’t win?

Ed: I see it is free, for now at least. Can’t hurt to sign up and learn …

Flag Post

Player.IO definitely can – the new The Last Stand game is powered by Player.IO and is sort of like Backyard Monsters – lots of persistent locations and players interacting in synchronous and asynchronous ways. Certainly it’s not trivial, but it’s possible.

Flag Post

If a player loves your game, if your game becomes a hobby to her, she is likely to be willing to spend money on it and be happy to do so.

I note that you refer to the player as a ‘her’ and ‘she’ (which to my knowledge is rarely if ever used as a gender-neutral pronoun) and can’t help but think the standard for profitable “mtx” has been set by Farmville moms.

I’m probably totally wrong, but it’s still a funny observation :P

Flag Post

Oh, looks like you need .Net 4.0 to use Player.IO and this old machine can’t get that without updating a million things :I

Edit … and I’m in :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

If a player loves your game, if your game becomes a hobby to her, she is likely to be willing to spend money on it and be happy to do so.

I note that you refer to the player as a ‘her’ and ‘she’ (which to my knowledge is rarely if ever used as a gender-neutral pronoun)

Use “xe”!

Flag Post

I note that you refer to the player as a ‘her’ and ‘she’ (which to my knowledge is rarely if ever used as a gender-neutral pronoun) and can’t help but think the standard for profitable “mtx” has been set by Farmville moms.

I’m probably totally wrong, but it’s still a funny observation :P

Haha, just a coincidence. I consciously try to use female pronouns when talking about gamers. My own little effort to bring a little sexual equality to the gaming world. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:

I note that you refer to the player as a ‘her’ and ‘she’ (which to my knowledge is rarely if ever used as a gender-neutral pronoun)

Use “xe”!

What if a hermaphrodite is playing? Or an alien? Or a dinosaur? For god’s sakes, just stick with ‘it’. Easier.

Flag Post

What if a hermaphrodite is playing? Or an alien? Or a dinosaur? For god’s sakes, just stick with ‘it’. Easier.

Generally speaking, aliens, dinosaurs, and other things have only two genders that can be roughly equated to “he” and “she.”

Aliens do come in all flavors though. I know a couple of authors had invented races with as many as 16 different sexes. “Xe” works for them quite well.

Hermaphrodites have their own gendered pronoun, shi. But “xe” works there as well, as it is gender neutral.

Flag Post

“Xe” works from a technical/grammatical sense, but it also isn’t a widely recognized word, and thus becomes a bit confusing. Plus, I like intentionally reminding developers that there are a lot of female gamers out there too, and designing a game that is broadly appealing can increase your audience size and word of mouth potential. (Those women like to talk! Am I right boys?) (/sexist sarcasm)

In any case, I’m not the only one to do it – one of my partners in crime, Lars Doucet, regularly does the same thing, and I’ve seen other bloggers favor female pronouns as well, even not in games.

But we’re kind of getting sidetracked. Let’s talk sex and gender roles in a Serious Discussion thread or something, and keep this one focused on the contest. :)

Flag Post

also isn’t a widely recognized word

That’s why I constantly suggest it. ;)

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled context thread.

Flag Post

So, will it be posted here when they finally figure out what the rules actually are (no offense, Phoenix00017, but “should be fine” doesn’t quite cut it for me), or do we just have to keep checking the official contest page? There are several vague and possibly contradictory bits of information that people have already pointed out, and the contest page itself says that you need to sign up with an account, but it doesn’t say what the deadline for that is (or if there is one prior to the game submission deadline).

I assume that any solidification of rules posted by people associated with this contest will be reflected by a similar solidification on the official rules page; otherwise it can’t be taken very seriously, can it?

Flag Post

No offense taken – I wouldn’t want to start on a project based on a “should be fine” either. :)

Yes, the official rules page is what should be considered the official word. While I will attempt to continue to keep you guys updated here, I am only a judge and not the person running the contest. I can verify that EpicGameAds (the user on Kongregate) is indeed with the company running it, so his responses are indeed legit and official.

That said, we are actively having discussions based on feedback from this forum and other forums where the contest has been posted and are adjusting the rules accordingly. For example, the official rules page no longer mentions co-op requirements nor a 4 player minimum, though it does still have to be multiplayer in some way.

Flag Post

(Stupid question alert) I’m a bit confused about the promotions on the winners. It says that the winners will get a promotion on their game. Does this mean that if we get 1st-10th our game would be sponsored on Kongregate and Newgrounds too? It doesn’t seem to be very specific. :I

Flag Post

Phoenix… At this site http://playerio.com/competitions/ega2012/ – Have you seen the link to Kongregate at the judges panel. It links to Newgrounds.

I’m definitely going to use this competition to try to get my hands dirty with flash <→ server stuff.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dragon_of_celts:

So, will it be posted here when they finally figure out what the rules actually are (no offense, Phoenix00017, but “should be fine” doesn’t quite cut it for me), or do we just have to keep checking the official contest page? There are several vague and possibly contradictory bits of information that people have already pointed out, and the contest page itself says that you need to sign up with an account, but it doesn’t say what the deadline for that is (or if there is one prior to the game submission deadline).

I assume that any solidification of rules posted by people associated with this contest will be reflected by a similar solidification on the official rules page; otherwise it can’t be taken very seriously, can it?

What specific questions do you have dragon? There is no deadline to register a playerio account. You can start making your game whenever you want, I would think that anyone interested would want to have as much time as possible so they would sign up earlier rather than later. If you have any other specific questions or have found things not clarified in the rules, I’m happy to rectify that!

@ Feffers – If you check down the page, it shows exactly what Kongregate and Newgrounds are offering winners. Kongregate is giving spotlight ad impressions (varies depending on what place your game is) and Newgrounds is guaranteeing that your game will be front paged.

Keep the questions coming :)

Flag Post

Using the Flash exporter for Unity would trigger the Flash Player Premium features, which the rules clearly states is not allowed.
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/premium-features.html

I think you might be able to run the game using software fallback and not trigger the requirement, but I don’t expect it would be quick.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Danishdragon:

Phoenix… At this site http://playerio.com/competitions/ega2012/ – Have you seen the link to Kongregate at the judges panel. It links to Newgrounds.

I’m definitely going to use this competition to try to get my hands dirty with flash <→ server stuff.

Haha, thanks! Simple typo, we’ll get that fixed. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by QRious:

Using the Flash exporter for Unity would trigger the Flash Player Premium features, which the rules clearly states is not allowed.

Unity will almost certainly use Stage3D in its export, but it’s only Premium if it uses domain memory as well.

Flag Post

I think the key to that rule is EpicGameAds doesn’t want anything where Adobe gets 9% of the revenue. As long as you avoid using those premium features (the ones that will cost money) you should be okay. I think the way Unity compiles to Flash and the use of stage3D makes those games premium.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EpicGameAds:

There is no deadline to register a playerio account. You can start making your game whenever you want, I would think that anyone interested would want to have as much time as possible so they would sign up earlier rather than later. If you have any other specific questions or have found things not clarified in the rules, I’m happy to rectify that!

OK, thanks. As far as registering, I would only register if and when I feel like I have a fleshed out idea that I am ready to start working on, and probably also many of the internal components of the game already set up (sans registration deadline).

So how soon will the rules page reflect the changes once a contradictory answer has been given here? It’s been two days since you said it didn’t necessarily need to be Actionscript 3, as long as it was a .swf that used PlayerIO for microtransactions/multiplayer; yet the rules still say “must be Actionscript 3”. Not that 2 days is that long, I’m just using it as example to pre-empt “such as what” questions. Because at the end of the proverbial day, the official rules trumps anything stated here, do they not?

Flag Post

Re: Registering – you’re free to make a game, register one day before the game submission deadline and submit it (although I’m not sure that would be possible since you wouldn’t have enough time to implement the micro transactions, multiplayer functionality, etc) But the point is, you can register anytime you want to.

Re: AS3 – in the first post about Unity, I was careful to preface my answer with the information that I am not the best person for technical questions. The contest page is accurate. The game must be made in AS3. Unity apparently will compile a swf using Adobe Premium Features, which, as BobTheCoolGuy pointed out, would mean that Adobe would take a 9% cut of the revenues. I’m told that publishing a swf without the premium features in Unity would make games that have very low performance.

You’re correct on your last statement. When the proverbial day is over, the official rules on the contest page are king :)

Thank you for your comments and concerns – every piece of feedback is valuable.

Flag Post

How many payment providers do you need to open up microtransactions (or at least the in-game currency purchases) to? That’s obviously some way down the road but it merits thinking about.

Flag Post

Well, HaXe is likewise not Actionscript 3, yet there is a link for it on that exact page (thus Phoenix00017’s “should be fine” statement that originally prompted my initial post — see first post on this page). Actionscript 2 will produce a .swf that doesn’t necessarily use Adobe’s Premium Features, yet that is also, apparently, excluded (though I personally wouldn’t want to use it anyway). So .swf without APF > just Actionscript 3, but rules state AS3 only. You’ve said the former is what is required, the rules state the latter is.

Just trying to nail this down, not trying to flog a dead llama.

Addition: PlayerIO’s forum includes a post about HaXe integration (the forum topic is about whether or not HaXe is allowed for the contest, which they are also told is OK. Again, though, the rules state otherwise).

Flag Post

@ BobJanova – Playerio has a system in place already called PayVault to handle microtransactions.

@ dragon_of_celts – I believe the distinction is that haxe outputs AS3, so that is not a problem.