Multiplayer Game Dev Contest - Play Entries! page 2

121 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draco18s:
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

multiplayer questions – I’m checking with the organizers to find out more. While I know some about the contest, I’m not the “official voice” and don’t know the intricate rules. It sounds like they intended for games that can support a minimum of 4 simultaneous players. My guess is that something like Platform Racing 2 would be fine – it doesn’t force 4 player races, but they are possible. I’ll update when I find out more about those requirements.

Does it have to be Flash, or can we use Unity? I could implement it into my game fairly easily. It could in theory support mutiplayer over the internet (and as many players as the API can support concurrently), it’s just less…….social.

This explains it more:

Originally posted by Solanix:

According to the second eligibility section in the official rules, the game apparently has to be a cooperative multiplayer. I’m kind of curious as to why there is no mention of that anywhere else. Also, why would a competitive/free-for-all focused game be turned down if it can fulfill all the other requirements and recommendations? Or is this all just a copy/paste error?

Wow, it has to be cooperative? That throws a wrench in my ideas :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Amibtious:

So this is a contest where the main prize is losing half your game? :p

If you think you can do a better job of getting publicity and promotion, then don’t enter. :P

Flag Post

I know this is a contest and all, but I am considering to put in a couple of extras. Not to make the game a pay-to-win thing, but definitely features that would give people a considerable edge over other opponents. Are we allowed to do that? I just saw the PayVault thing, and it looks quite interesting.

Flag Post

Solanix – Thanks for the heads up on the wording – initially, we planned to force all games to be cooperative multiplayer. In my opinion, there is a real lack of these types of flash games in the market and I see a good opportunity to fill that niche. However, prior to launching the contest, we decided to loosen the restrictions as to what kinds of games developers could make. What ultimately matters at the end of the day, is how well we think your game will monetize.

Draco18 – I don’t know specifically about the technical specifications of Unity – again, bottom line – we need a swf as a final product using player.IO for the multiplayer and microtransaction functionality. If you can do that in Unity, then great :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

This explains it more:

Grf. I don’t even have anything half-designed that I could spruce up and have qualify.

Flag Post

@Everyone, yeah I get the point, I was just poking fun mostly. Never really liked the idea of ‘contests’ where by default the organisers have assumed that the ‘winner’ will be getting a deal not as good as what they’d have otherwise offered to the entrants’ entry had entrant not entered it and ‘won’. Then again, the contest itself is good advertising.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jasonjie88:

I know this is a contest and all, but I am considering to put in a couple of extras. Not to make the game a pay-to-win thing, but definitely features that would give people a considerable edge over other opponents. Are we allowed to do that? I just saw the PayVault thing, and it looks quite interesting.

I’m not sure I fully understand the question. Pay-to-win can work, and Phoenix can speak more on this, but I think games which allow even free players to advance if they commit enough time into the game is the best way to go. Paying should increase your convenience, lessen your ‘grind’ time, get you access faster, let you level up faster, give you aesthetics that makes you look awesome ingame, etc. Since all games are multiplayer and the bulk of players will be playing for free, we want to make sure that the free players are taken care of just as well as the paid players to keep the game highly active and retain players.

Flag Post

@Everyone, yeah I get the point, I was just poking fun mostly. Never really liked the idea of ‘contests’ where by default the organisers have assumed that the ‘winner’ will be getting a deal not as good as what they’d have otherwise offered to the entrants’ entry had entrant not entered it and ‘won’. Then again, the contest itself is good advertising.

I completely understand – our target market with the contest are developers who have the capacity to make great games, but not necessarily the desire or capacity to market and monetize those games. There are plenty of game studios able to do just that, and if they’d make less money by working with us, I’d be sad to see them do that. You should always take the route that makes the most sense for your situation!

There is value in winning this contest, and there is value in making a game and marketing it yourself. I wish you the best in whatever you decide!

Flag Post

Cool contest. Not one that I can enter (Swish + AS2 means no multiplayer) but I’ll be interested to see what people come up with :D

Flag Post

Re: 4 players – that was intended to be 4 players minimum per game session. If you had 2 teams of 2 players each competing, or 4 players v computer, or 4 players 1v1v1v1 – any of those are valid options.

Like I mentioned earlier, the most important piece your game will be judged on is it’s commercial viability. If you end up with a game that is 1v1 that we feel like will monetize greatly, then I’m not going to care that it’s not a 4 player minimum game.

I am loving to see the initial reactions and so many questions early on – keep ’em coming!

Flag Post
Originally posted by EpicGameAds:

I completely understand – our target market with the contest are developers who have the capacity to make great games, but not necessarily the desire or capacity to market and monetize those games. There are plenty of game studios able to do just that, and if they’d make less money by working with us, I’d be sad to see them do that. You should always take the route that makes the most sense for your situation!

There is value in winning this contest, and there is value in making a game and marketing it yourself. I wish you the best in whatever you decide!

Ah no worries, I’m not entering because I’ve yet to learn anything about multiplayer, not because I think it’s bad value, I’m just nitpicking semantics :)

Flag Post

Re: 4 players – that was intended to be 4 players minimum per game session. If you had 2 teams of 2 players each competing, or 4 players v computer, or 4 players 1v1v1v1 – any of those are valid options.

Like I mentioned earlier, the most important piece your game will be judged on is it’s commercial viability. If you end up with a game that is 1v1 that we feel like will monetize greatly, then I’m not going to care that it’s not a 4 player minimum game.

I am loving to see the initial reactions and so many questions early on – keep ’em coming!

A question about the commercial viability judging part. Does that mean basically that the game with the most potential to make money will win? Or that the best game that would at least be a moderate commercial success will win? In other words, would the so-so typical MMO with huge money potential or the brilliant but unusual game with never-seen-before game mechanics that only has a so-so chance of commercial success be more likely to win?

Flag Post

Awesome! I may enter because there’s lots of time to prepare and such. I’m just worried at how good the other competitors will be since I’m going solo. How many people can be in a team though? Is it only individually?

Flag Post

@ BobTheCoolGuy – That is a difficult question to answer because huge money potential is ultimately what drives business forward. That being said, the people who are going to be looking at and judging the games, are not novices to the flash world. If your never before seen game mechanics are intriguing and we find to be of better quality and commercial viability, then it will win. It may sound cold to say we’re looking for games that are going to generate strong revenues, but if we don’t get content that monetizes well, then this contest will be a one and done instead of an annual event :)

@ Feffers – You can work with as many people as you want to on your project. How the funds are split between you and your team is completely up to you and your team to figure out. At the end of the competition, we will pay the individual or company who registered the account. It will be your responsibility to pay your team accordingly if need be.

Flag Post

I’m no good developer, but I look forward to seeing what you guys come up with :D

Flag Post

To add a little (ok, it turned into a lot) to BobTheCoolGuy’s question, let’s do some Virtual Goods 101!

There are a few things to consider when I look at “monetization potential”:

- Potential conversion rate: what percentage of players will decide to buy something in the game? This is generally a combination of how fun the game is (a great game is more likely to get players to be willing to support it) and how much value players perceive in the purchasable content.

- Potential ARPPU (average revenue per paying user): how much will players who decide to spend actually spend? This has more to do with the options in the game (if I can only buy $10 of stuff then I won’t buy more than that) and not under-pricing yourselves (don’t think of these as “micro” transactions – don’t target $1 purchases). For reference, ARPPU on top performing games can be over $100.

- Potential ARPU (average revenue per user): this is very simply ARPPU x conversion rate, but it tells you how much each player averages out in value (which is useful when buying ads for a game – if you’re spending more to bring in a new player than your ARPU, you’re losing money).

- Retention metrics: we have a variety of these, but they all boil down to whether or not players come back and keep playing your game. In some cases this can be a bit predatory (using psychology tricks to keep players returning), but in many cases it’s because the games are just that good and fun (this is what you should be aiming for!).

- Fun factor / promotion potential: we also try to estimate the rating that a game will get when we’re evaluating games for Kongregate. The reason is that high scores represent more audience enjoyment (and better early retention especially) and are easier to promote. You can feature games with high scores, put achievements on them, run contests, etc. We have some games that monetize exceedingly well but they’re just not very fun, and as a result we can’t promote them much and they don’t make much money.

That’s all a very long way of saying that your “monetization potential” is not just “how much money will a player spend?”, it’s very tightly tied to how fun and engaging your game is. If a player loves your game, if your game becomes a hobby to her, she is likely to be willing to spend money on it and be happy to do so. Create games that people love, let them pay you for convenience, aesthetics, advantages (small or large, depends on the game), etc. and you’ll do well. If a game is brilliant and unusual and will stand out, that helps grow the audience, and as long as you have some wise options for spending built in it could work.

Flag Post

Hmmm… are you guys sure the Plus account is free? I know it say until 28 Feb 2013, but it also says $24.95 per month.

In any case, this oughta be a cool contest!

Flag Post

I have a question too. How “available” do we have to make the game? Like, if we used the latest flash player, a lot of people may not have it, but does that bring our game down in the judging segment? You may need to use one of the latest flash players for a library such as Away3D.

Flag Post

Ahhhhh… only if I was older a knew how to program better :( looks great though maybe I can help people with some music :P (for free)

Flag Post

@TheAwesomeOpo… Yes, definitely free :)

@Feffers – latest flash player should be fine

Flag Post

Speaking of, would Unity compiling to Flash be acceptable?

Flag Post

I’m not an expert on how unity works, compiles, etc. Someone else would be better suited to answer technical questions. What I can tell you is that if you’re using playerio to power the multiplayer and virtual goods sales, and the game is a swf made in AS3 – you’re most likely going to be fine!

Flag Post

I’m not an expert on how unity works, compiles, etc. Someone else would be better suited to answer technical questions. What I can tell you is that if you’re using playerio to power the multiplayer and virtual goods sales, and the game is a swf made in AS3 – you’re most likely going to be fine!

Then the answer is probably “yes.” :P
The Unity-to-Flash compiler is still in progress (did a test build just now which failed for an unknown reason).

Flag Post

Player.IO does appear to support Unity, so I would think there would not be a problem with an exported game. Would be good to get that clarified by the contest managers first, but to players it shouldn’t be any different.

Is there some revenue share requirement for Unity → Flash export? I thought at one point I heard about that, but I don’t recall the details or know if that’s still true.

Flag Post

Unity uses C# or javaScript not AS3, but it still can compile to a .swf. So you’ll need to clarify if Unity is an acceptable to be used!

If there can be some clarification on this as the rules specifically say ’’target Flash Player using ActionScript 3"

This rule would also rule out using language like HaXe too?